blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Everyone seems to talk about how extreme year 13 is in comparison to year 12. I didn't find year 12 too hard but I definitely found it hard to stay motivated. That being said, I've seen some of the A2 content and it looks really hard.
If you've done year 13, what is it really like in comparison to year 12? How do you stay motivated?
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Year 13 is ok. The step from 12 to 13 is nowhere near the leap from GCSE to A level, and turning 18 means you can buy your own booze and blow off steam at a pub.

The advice I'd have is just to keep on top of everything, make sure you understand it when it is taught, and keep on top of your year 12 work. I recommend spending at least an hour per subject per week to just revisiting AS topics, and stepping that up a bit when exams come up.

Also, motivation is a meme. It doesn't exist. Anyone can work while motivated. The successful use willpower to work when they aren't.
eggyeol
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It felt the same to me tbh
icygrl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Read my reply on page 2 of this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...advice+a+level
Good luck for Year 13, you can do it! If you stay motivated, work hard, dedicated and just power through you will do well
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by eggyeol)
It felt the same to me tbh
what subjects did you do?
Risk08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically year 13 is harder but also was nicer for me. I had much more freedom and teachers gave more trust. It is by far is the toughest year as tons of deadlines and important decisions are made. My advice is seek as much help from family and friends. No time for keeping and issues to yourself. Also have the confidence to ask teachers to put your predicted grades up if you feel they're hindering your ability.
becky_ee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really wouldn't worry too much, while I personally did find the gap between Y/12 and Y/13 to be bigger than GCSE and Y/12, as long as you get on with the work and don't go in to fight or flight when it gets to March, cuz you haven't started revision yet, most people get through A-Levels, and there are always ways to fix it even if you do mess up. It's also actually a really fun year bc everyone is going through the same thing and there is defo a "we're all in this together" atmosphere, especially approaching exam season. I wish you the best of luck!!
annanas45
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by blackvoid17)
Everyone seems to talk about how extreme year 13 is in comparison to year 12. I didn't find year 12 too hard but I definitely found it hard to stay motivated. That being said, I've seen some of the A2 content and it looks really hard.
If you've done year 13, what is it really like in comparison to year 12? How do you stay motivated?
didnt find it much harder thanyear 12 tbh. Uni decisions were what gave me most stress and from winter mocks and onwards dont expect to have much if any free time, but just stay on top of things, start going over stuff from the beginning of yr 12 now aand you should be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads