Why has Africa always been so underdeveloped?

Watch
Jauikq6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
People say it is because of white people, but the only reason white people were able to invade Africa in the first place was because they were already more developed than them.
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Always is a stretch. The Egyptians may have something to say about that.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Possibly because of the climate. The arid environment reduces the expansion of civilisation due to less water and agriculture. Less people means less innovation which then means less development.

Could also argue the various tribal wars between different factions prevented cooperation towards a common goal.

As the OP has mentioned; people blame white people for it but surely to have travelled all the way to Africa and colonise it, you'd have to be pretty advanced to pull it off in the first place.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jauikq6)
People say it is because of white people, but the only reason white people were able to invade Africa in the first place was because they were already more developed than them.
Carthaginians and the Moors did quite well.
Nazx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As an African I'd say corruption, we won't move forward until people leave their tribal issues behind and if the governments weren't so corrupt.
Jmonay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Africa was a rich country the whites invaded cause of their riches and sold the Africans into slavery
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

well...
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Egypt was once one of the wealthiest countries in the world, they wasted their resources unfortunately.
icygrl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jmonay)
Africa was a rich country the whites invaded cause of their riches and sold the Africans into slavery
PurpleDelight
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"they were already more developed than them"
Or maybe just horrendously trusted them before they stole everything :dry:
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jmonay)
Africa is a continent. Please try again.
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://pics.me.me/describe-world-hi...s-19338069.png
icygrl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PurpleDelight)
"they were already more developed than them"
Or maybe just horrendously trusted them before they stole everything :dry:
yikess
Facts of Life
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Africans themselves and moors/ Arabs were enablers of slavery before Europeans tapped into the slave trade. The nation is relatively poor and underdeveloped due to a range of factors, primarily cultural nepotism and short term solutions in economic policies/ outlook. We need roads and have vast array of resources/ unused labour - lets outsource to China and become ever more Economically enslaved ! Consider the billions of dollars in aid that have been pumped into the nation only to be misallocated and squandered by corrupt officials. This is shortly followed by civil unrest and instability in the nation. Religion is potent in uneducated societies resulting in a naïve child of god victim complex- A my child is dying from cholera but lets pray to god... and once the child has passed lets call it a test of faith level of ignorance. The truth is these problems are complex and can not be fixed simply in a society that is inherently ill programmed. Just consider this is written by an African...
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
correct me if I'm wrong: I think most of Africa wasn't invaded by the Romans. the only reason why Europe was so developed compared to Africa was that they had been invaded by the Romans therefore given a more 'civilised' style of living. such as roads, the idea of writing letters, large buildings, carriages etc. Africa didn't have this
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JaydorIV)
correct me if I'm wrong: I think most of Africa wasn't invaded by the Romans. the only reason why Europe was so developed compared to Africa was that they had been invaded by the Romans therefore given a more 'civilised' style of living. such as roads, the idea of writing letters, large buildings, carriages etc. Africa didn't have this
Plenty of places before, during and after the roman empire had large buildings, roads and writing, with no influence from Rome causing it. As mentioned previously in this thread, some of them in Africa. Of the seven wonders of the ancient world, none were in the roman empire, and two were in Africa (one in Asia and four essentially products of the ancient grecian empire completing the set).
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dheorl)
Plenty of places before, during and after the roman empire had large buildings, roads and writing, with no influence from Rome causing it. As mentioned previously in this thread, some of them in Africa. Of the seven wonders of the ancient world, none were in the roman empire, and two were in Africa (one in Asia and four essentially products of the ancient grecian empire completing the set).
dankeschön 👍
Jmonay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You all don’t know history for you guys to comment bs on my comment gtfoh
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh no, here come the European colonists are solely responsible for all problems comments.
la flameee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is definitely partly due to colonisation, but it's definitely more complicated. For a continent rich with resources and working population, it should be doing better. It is however worth noting that extreme poverty fell massively over the past years, and people there do live decent enough lives.

Corruption is a big factor, many african countries dont have stable governments with working democracies. There's no incentive for the rich people in power to establish it. I think dependence on aid and crappy loans is another factor too. Africans today are more educated than ever but human capital as a whole is still weak.

Africa is however on the rise as a whole, China has invested massively and global corporations have already seen that the continent is a money making market.

It is however apparent to me that this thread is just another opportunity for right wingers and white people to cry about how they get the blame. Boo hoo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads