Maths for 1st year of BSc Chemistry Watch

Hadders94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have just had my place confirmed at the University of Manchester to study Chemistry, which is literally a dream come true for me, I'm very excited!

I am told that Maths features fairly heavily in some modules of this course, and seeing as I have not studied Maths at A-level, I am wanting to start some reading in order to get upto speed (my level of Maths is fairly decent, I got an A at GCSE). My question is this - what mathematical concepts are essential to know for the first year? (I'm talking about things such as differentiation, integration etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The book called Maths for Chemistry by Paul M. S. Monk OR the Chemistry maths book by Erich Steiner are great for first year chemists to get started on.
There is a PDF version available for one of these books (I think the chemistry maths book one)
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Differentiation, integration, how to plot a graph (y=mx+c stuff), rearranging equations, logarithms

Looking online at Manc, they offer a module where they teach you all the maths they want you to know - so don't be too worried about learning it all over the summer;
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...e-unit-details
Royal Society of Chemistry
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hadders94)
I have just had my place confirmed at the University of Manchester to study Chemistry, which is literally a dream come true for me, I'm very excited!

I am told that Maths features fairly heavily in some modules of this course, and seeing as I have not studied Maths at A-level, I am wanting to start some reading in order to get upto speed (my level of Maths is fairly decent, I got an A at GCSE). My question is this - what mathematical concepts are essential to know for the first year? (I'm talking about things such as differentiation, integration etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Hadders94,

Congratulations! What an achievement! Fantastic attitude too, trying to find out how to put your best foot forward before lectures even begin!

As iElvendork mentioned, there will be a module to make sure that you are up to speed, and as Bloom77 mentioned, also plenty of books. Maths for Chemists is generally the most popular. Before you get the book though, you might want to wait as I'm sure the library at Manchester will have a copy, and the department often has deals to purchase books at the beginning of the year. Royal Society of Chemistry membership also gives you a discount on the book as well as many of the other core text books you might need.

A free option, that you can crack on with straight away would be one of our school to university transition resources, Maths for Science. It isn't as focused as those suggested above, but might give you a good starting point before you begin.

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.13%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (185)
35.92%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.11%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.13%