jc_987
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am a student going into Year 13 and I want to read 2/3 books that I could talk about on my economics PS for UCAS. I have had a look at quite a few books that interest me and reduced it to a list of 7 so I would like to know which books are most suitable for a student as some may be too advanced for an A level student and which books would you most recommend. The list is:

Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis by James Rickards
Capital in the 21st Century by Thomas Piketty
Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek
Global Capitalism in Disarray: Inequality, Debt, and Austerity by Andres Solimano
The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heilbroner
Grave New World: The End of Globalization, the Return of History by Stephen D. King
The Value of Everything: Making and Taking in the Global Economy by Mariana Mazzucato
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jc_987)
I am a student going into Year 13 and I want to read 2/3 books that I could talk about on my economics PS for UCAS. I have had a look at quite a few books that interest me and reduced it to a list of 7 so I would like to know which books are most suitable for a student as some may be too advanced for an A level student and which books would you most recommend. The list is:

Global Capitalism in Disarray: Inequality, Debt, and Austerity by Andres Solimano
Grave New World: The End of Globalization, the Return of History by Stephen D. King
The Value of Everything: Making and Taking in the Global Economy by Mariana Mazzucato
There isn’t really an interesting book (it’s subjective), most of the options you have are really good, because they are unique and not the common cliche economic books like ‘freakeconomics’, ‘end this depression now’ and ‘dead aid’, so probably chose a book that focuses on a topic or approach to economics that your interested in. Very well-known economists bookwork, may be harder to understand. In terms of PS, talk about what you learned from reading the book.
The Financier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

akpo's framework is really good - make sure you prioritise something that you're genuinely interested in as it'll show through in your PS. Of your list, Piketty is the obvious choice for discussion, covering a highly discussed topic in modern Economics with both praise and criticism of it's contents. If you're interested in Economic inequality, Stiglitz has several great books on the subject as well.
jc_987
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by akpo)
There isn’t really an interesting book (it’s subjective), most of the options you have are really good, because they are unique and not the common cliche economic books like ‘freakeconomics’, ‘end this depression now’ and ‘dead aid’, so probably chose a book that focuses on a topic or approach to economics that your interested in. Very well-known economists bookwork, may be harder to understand. In terms of PS, talk about what you learned from reading the book.
(Original post by TeeEff)
akpo's framework is really good - make sure you prioritise something that you're genuinely interested in as it'll show through in your PS. Of your list, Piketty is the obvious choice for discussion, covering a highly discussed topic in modern Economics with both praise and criticism of it's contents. If you're interested in Economic inequality, Stiglitz has several great books on the subject as well.
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go with Grave New World and The Value of Everything as they are fairly new books so won't be too common and unlike Piketty's book, they're not 700 pages. I was wondering whether there are any Econometric-related books that you would recommend for me as I have heard that econometrics is one of the hardest parts of economics so it would be good to have a solid base for the course.
15writers
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would recommend two books from this list: Capital in the 21st Century and The Value of Everything: Making and Taking in the Global Economy. Both are written in plain English and would fit your needs. The first one received a lot of critical aclaim from famous economists such as Paul Krugman. It will be a good read.
The Financier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go with Grave New World and The Value of Everything as they are fairly new books so won't be too common and unlike Piketty's book, they're not 700 pages. I was wondering whether there are any Econometric-related books that you would recommend for me as I have heard that econometrics is one of the hardest parts of economics so it would be good to have a solid base for the course.
Econometrics doesn't really have much casual reading. Imo the best way to prepare for it, short of buying the textbook that your module will assign, is to look up some statistics-related books as the foundations of Econometrics share a lot in common with the former.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (119)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (357)
14.91%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (263)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (337)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (108)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (140)
5.85%
Loneliness (207)
8.64%
Financial worries (88)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (100)
4.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
4.84%
Lack of real life entertainment (127)
5.3%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (208)
8.68%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (225)
9.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed