The Student Room Group

Which Sixth Form should I choose?

Sixth Form A would be at my high school. There are a couple of teachers there that I'm close to and that have supported me greatly as I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder. Last year's A-Level results at this school were very disappointing and this is one of the reasons that a lot of fellow pupils have decided to go elsewhere, despite the fact that previous students have ended up at Oxbridge. My friends are going to different schools, but there are still some people that I'm relatively friendly with.
I know the area very well and my mum can drop me off in the morning which is very convenient. Unfortunately, I greatly dislike the Psychology teacher there which is extremely inconvenient as it was one of the subjects I was set on doing. I won't go into details but the thought of having her as a teacher makes my stomach turn.

Sixth Form B seemed very keen on meeting me as I have good predicted grades and, of course, they get more money per student. The idea of attending this school does make me quite anxious as I won't know anyone and I'll have to wear my own clothes, as opposed to uniform, which creates that stupid fear of being judged. I'd have to take the bus in the morning which is fine but I'd have to get up earlier which sucks. I don't know the area well at all so it's all going to be very alien to me, but the school is a much better school than my high school and achieves excellent results. I really struggle to make friends so if I go here I doubt I'll be able to come out of my shell and make some good friends, but never say never.

I'd really appreciate some advice.
Put aside the grades of either institution here. You can do well at any sixth form, given a can do attitude. That said, pick the one at which you'll be happiest.

I've known people to go off to new centers, and come back, which our sixth form allows because it isn't very good. So if this new center is not your cup of tea, you can always leave and go back to your old school. Sometimes change is necessary to kick start us into being better people.

With the teacher you don't like, there are a few options. You can just not take psychology. You may take it and fine out she isn't a horrible person to her A level class. You can talk to your head of sixth about it. You can study it independently.
okay, if it was me I'd go to sixth form b, although the first few weeks you may feel out of your comfort zone, there will be other external students that will feel the same way. If you want to do psychology, definitely move by the sounds of things, good luck for results day!!

Quick Reply

Latest