Buying the right book editions (English students) Watch

AmeliaBaldwin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can any English students (or potential English students) tell me whether it is better to pay more for the recommended edition of a novel, e.g. Moll Flanders, or to go with a cheaper edition?
I have the Norton Anthology already but for modules like 'Introduction to the Novel' there is a reading list with the 'recommended edition' but then also a list of 'also available' editions. Thank you in advance.
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can find them on abebooks maybe?
eoj89
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm starting my first year of English Lit this year so have had the same worries as you. Both my unis have got recommended versions so I've been thinking whether to get the recommended editions, but my cousin is in her third year of a Lit degree starting September and she said if she's going to annotate a text etc. then she'll buy the cheaper editions (e.g. Wordsworth Classics), but she's still got the recommended editions too - so she owns the Arden Hamlet but she'll annotate the Wordsworth edition.

Personally, I'm taking my texts that I already own in whatever edition they are, but I'll buy the recommended editions as and when I need to just in case I turn up with two of the same text without having needed to. Everything I haven't got already tho I'll be buying in the recommended edition I think.
dazedandconfsued
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm actually struggling to find the norton anthology that they suggest bc they specify m h abrams but also the ninth or tenth editions - could anyone help me out by showing me covers or sending me links of the definite edition we should buy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you work while at uni?