How to write about my gap year in my personal statement Watch

andreasz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm a non-UK EU student applying for deferred entry to Medicine (for 2020). The reason that I am taking a gap year is that I need to complete a 14-month long military service in my country right after I finish school. It's a full-time thing so I don't think I'll be able to obtain any more work experience during that year (although I have plenty of experience already). I know that universities want you to have a very clear plan for your gap year which involves Medicine related activities. Would it be acceptable to just write that I am going to be serving in the military in my personal statement, given the fact that I have a considerable amount of work experience already?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by andreasz)
I'm a non-UK EU student applying for deferred entry to Medicine (for 2020). The reason that I am taking a gap year is that I need to complete a 14-month long military service in my country right after I finish school. It's a full-time thing so I don't think I'll be able to obtain any more work experience during that year (although I have plenty of experience already). I know that universities want you to have a very clear plan for your gap year which involves Medicine related activities. Would it be acceptable to just write that I am going to be serving in the military in my personal statement, given the fact that I have a considerable amount of work experience already?
You don't even have to mention it if it doesn't add anything but there are skills you can talk about that are relevant.
ln._.xn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would be great if you could write about how you took the situation that you had no control over and made the best of it. For example, you could talk about how military service made you have a different perspective on medicine or perhaps made you even more determined to study medicine. I don’t think unis will fault you for not being able to gain work experience during your time in the military but to show them that you can make the best of any situation would always be ideal x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (230)
58.38%
No (138)
35.03%

Watched Threads