Is it weird for a 22 year old to fancy a 16 year old? Watch

emily.pyesta
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have a friend who likes this guy he is 22, shes 16?Is that strange?
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Strange? Anything more than “like” it’s illegal.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Are we really talking about you?
emily.pyesta
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Are we really talking about you?
Nope, I just am worried for her?
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
it's illegal if a relationship was to be initiated.
emily.pyesta
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
it's illegal.
Shes 16,she is legal?
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Tbh other girls that age have crushes on older guys. Providing she does nothing about it, it doesn't matter really
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 10 months ago
it's not strange to like someone older than you. people get crushes all the time.

but if it's reciprocated it's kinda gross.
Terminator01
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Its legal if she is 16. The age difference isn't that big but still quite big. Although I seen a lot worse. I don't think its gross at all but if the feelings are romantic then it will not end up well because I can't imagine many parents being OK with such a relationship for their daughter. 16 year olds are not nearly as innocent tough.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ok, so firstly, no, it's not illegal. Unless he is in a position of power over her (teacher, doctor etc.)

I think it is a bit weird from my perspective as someone whose parents are 10 years apart, and have had friends dating 7 years above them.

The main thing you have to question is the maturity difference. At 22 you've probably had a job and are fairly independent. They have a lot more responsibilities and are not children. Your friend is barely through GCSE's and have not had any real independence yet. They have just stepped out of the womb of teacher led education, and have not had to support themselves, discipline themselves, or anything like that.

The main issue will likely end up being HIS maturity though. If he can't find anyone his own age, and goes for girls who do not really know what to expect from a relationship, you have to question how mature he really is. She'll find that he likely isn't what she thinks he is.

That said, do not try to talk her out of it unless she has basically asked you to. All that will do is push her away. If you are friends, you should be there for her, and make sure that he can't cut her off from everyone. Be there for her, but do not try to police her.
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah rofl 16 year old???
emily.pyesta
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
Ok, so firstly, no, it's not illegal. Unless he is in a position of power over her (teacher, doctor etc.)

I think it is a bit weird from my perspective as someone whose parents are 10 years apart, and have had friends dating 7 years above them.

The main thing you have to question is the maturity difference. At 22 you've probably had a job and are fairly independent. They have a lot more responsibilities and are not children. Your friend is barely through GCSE's and have not had any real independence yet. They have just stepped out of the womb of teacher led education, and have not had to support themselves, discipline themselves, or anything like that.

The main issue will likely end up being HIS maturity though. If he can't find anyone his own age, and goes for girls who do not really know what to expect from a relationship, you have to question how mature he really is. She'll find that he likely isn't what she thinks he is.

That said, do not try to talk her out of it unless she has basically asked you to. All that will do is push her away. If you are friends, you should be there for her, and make sure that he can't cut her off from everyone. Be there for her, but do not try to police her.
Thankyou x
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
not illegal because she's at the age of consent, but it is weird because she's still looked upon as a child.
I'm_infires
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes.. It's the fact that she's 16. Imo a 6 years age difference is ok lmao like if it was a 20 and 26 yr old, that seems fine right? (or maybe that's just me lol) But she's barely gone through her GCSEs... she's still a child... so if they were to do anything about those feelings yh it's weird and wrong...
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by vicvic38)

true that^
username4203506
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I honestly don’t think a 22 year old would go for someone who is 16. It’s normal to have crushes on older men though, harmless as long as it’s not reciprocated
username4203506
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by as125)
I swear you're the same one that wants to smash your local mall security guard
I thought this 🤦🏻*♀️
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's okay to find someone that much younger than you attractive (within reason, obviously) as long as you don't act on it
Wombatcom
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
People get crushes all the time, and it's not so weird as one might think to have a crush on someone older then they are. The reason for this is because there is a comforting stability around people that are a little older. Put it this way, from a 16-year-old's perspective, someone who is 22 is still young looking (attractive) but also has their life steadied, either by having a job or by going to university, etc., and that stability is attractive for someone who is young and only just self-educating themselves about "adult life" (though people mature at different ages, of course).

Another reason is due to the fact that a relationship with someone older is scandalous, thus appealing, as to break the rules is something satisfying to do. It's like the "Do Not Press" red button. Despite the clear warning against it, a lot of people would press it.

So, crushes are normal, they're human features, but you should perhaps worry if the roles are reversed. If this 22-year-old likes her back then that can become a problem. Even if the age of consent is 16, that doesn't mean to say that your friend could not be exploited if they're not mature enough. There's no law against it, but just keep an eye out for your friend, as it can easily turn sour if he takes advantage of her age and (not trying to be patronising) lack of knowledge in specific situations.

Hope this helps,
-El
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

I think its perfectly normal...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (112)
14.2%

Watched Threads