Why don’t you need biology for a medicine degree? Watch

Emma0603ii
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay so I’m probably going to sound a bit dumb by asking this but I’m really curious. I want to do a level math, f math, phy and chem so I was looking at possible degree options... wasn’t expecting medicine to be there. I know some places require biology but a lot of the top universities only require chemistry and another science/maths. It’ll probably be really obvious but why is chemistry more important? If I did decide to do medicine would I be massively behind after only having done biology at gcse?
Conniestitution
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve often seen it specified that if Biology wasn’t done to A2 it had to be taken at AS level, but that was a sneaky way of specifying it needed to be there. I don’t know why it’s sometimes not specified - personally I think it would be essential.
student050996
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my experience, chemistry is required since it has difficult concepts which are telling of a student's ability to cope with medicine. The biology content of the A Level is usually taught again in the medicine course so having biology isn't too important.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emma0603ii)
Okay so I’m probably going to sound a bit dumb by asking this but I’m really curious. I want to do a level math, f math, phy and chem so I was looking at possible degree options... wasn’t expecting medicine to be there. I know some places require biology but a lot of the top universities only require chemistry and another science/maths. It’ll probably be really obvious but why is chemistry more important? If I did decide to do medicine would I be massively behind after only having done biology at gcse?
Medicine entry requirements are weird basically. There is no pure chemistry in the degree yet it is a requirement at most medical schools, meanwhile biology which does feature more significantly is not a universal requirement. So yeah, it's weird.

You wouldn't be massively behind without biology (or chemistry) since you will be taught everything you need to know from scratch. That said, having biology A level would give you greater familiarity with much of what is taught and would widen the range of med schools which you can apply to.

If you know you want to do medicine you should take both biology and chemistry. Most (?all) medical schools don't count further maths as a separate subject so there's no real benefit to taking it. There's also no benefit in doing four A levels.
Emma0603ii
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Medicine entry requirements are weird basically. There is no pure chemistry in the degree yet it is a requirement at most medical schools, meanwhile biology which does feature more significantly is not a universal requirement. So yeah, it's weird.

You wouldn't be massively behind without biology (or chemistry) since you will be taught everything you need to know from scratch. That said, having biology A level would give you greater familiarity with much of what is taught and would widen the range of med schools which you can apply to.

If you know you want to do medicine you should take both biology and chemistry. Most (?all) medical schools don't count further maths as a separate subject so there's no real benefit to taking it. There's also no benefit in doing four A levels.
Thanks for the clarification, I’m not set on doing medicine- in fact I currently am looking at maths. It’s just I was wondering what courses would be available and sounded interesting to me if I wanted to to take a science based subject at uni. I was checking to see that I wasn’t limiting myself to a few courses at uni. Therefore, even though medicine interests me, I’m not sure wether to take the jump and swap biology for further maths incase I do decide to peruse maths. Then if I did decide I wanted to do medicine or something similar I would still have a chance of doing it for uni, whereas f maths is a requirement to study maths at the higher universities
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads