The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Anti-trans vandals are plastering vile ‘women don’t have penises’ stickers around Lon

"Anti-trans vandals are plastering vile ‘women don’t have penises’ stickers around London."

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/08/09/anti-trans-women-penises-stickers-london-stonewall/.

Any thoughts.🤔

Scroll to see replies

I mean biologically it is true...
What's the point.
Why is this in debate and current affairs at this point you're just expecting some weirdo with a monochrome icon of an old man to come and try to be contrarian
(edited 5 years ago)
Imagine being that jobless lmao
There's seriously no need...

If people are not happy in their skin and so change, so be it! They're not doing anyone any harm, so why stop them, why get them down when all they want to be is themselves? When all they want to be is free and happy?
Meh.
I don't view it as hurtful or harmful in anyway. Is it necessary though? No. You don't have to hang those up but saying women don't have penises is not wrong or hateful.
Original post by Just my opinion
"Anti-trans vandals are plastering vile ‘women don’t have penises’ stickers around London."

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/08/09/anti-trans-women-penises-stickers-london-stonewall/.

Any thoughts.🤔

In a free society individuals should have the right to exercise whatever lifestyle they see fit provided it does not infringe on the rights of others. That being said, practising a lifestyle and aggressively demanding widespread societal and even legal preference of it are different things. It is possible to draw a line whereby you oppose any discrimination against transgender people whilst simultaneously opposing the calls of militant activists claiming to represent transgender people.
well the statement is true. can't condone the vandalism though.
Lolled at Stonewall's slogan being "acceptance without exception" and yet they're not accepting these vandals. I do think trans people should be accepted of course, but Stonewall's slogan is truly bad. It means they should accept racists, fascists, murderers etc.
I guess don't go drawing/sticking penis shapes around where kids can see them, but the text is correct.
Reply 12
firstly, trans women do not identify as women - they identity as trans women.

secondly, i don't understand why anyone is so obsessed with 1% of the population. i really don't care. you're more likely to get assaulted than meet a trans person in your lifetime. there's only so many hours in the day; at least pick a worthy cause.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
firstly, trans women do not identify as women - they identity as trans women.

secondly, i don't understand why anyone is so obsessed with 1% of the population. i really don't care. you're more likely to get assaulted than meet a trans person in your lifetime. there's only so many hours in the day; at least pick a worthy cause.

If a group is (quite) effectively getting the government to introduce laws that govern what we can do, it certainly warrants attention. In particular if it compels you to do something extra when you weren't being malicious in the first place. It is not malicious or harmful to determine male/female/man/woman by body parts, and that's worked for millennia. Gender roles we can address with encouraging men into childcare and women into science (for example), but there's no harm in making a (fair) distinction based on body type.
Reply 14
Original post by ThomH97
It is not malicious or harmful to determine male/female/man/woman by body parts, and that's worked for millennia.

Do you often check the contents of a person's pants before you start a conversation with them then?
Reply 15
Original post by ThomH97
If a group is (quite) effectively getting the government to introduce laws that govern what we can do, it certainly warrants attention. In particular if it compels you to do something extra when you weren't being malicious in the first place. It is not malicious or harmful to determine male/female/man/woman by body parts, and that's worked for millennia. Gender roles we can address with encouraging men into childcare and women into science (for example), but there's no harm in making a (fair) distinction based on body type.

it doesn't warrant that much attention. we have 100+ threads on our opinion of trans people and maybe 2 on criminal justice reform. meanwhile criminal justice affects far more of the population and FAR more of tax payers' money. we're focusing on petty issues then. i don't really understand the second part of your argument re malice. you don't have to have malicious intent in order to be pointless.
Original post by yolkie
you're just expecting some weirdo with a monochrome icon of an old man to come and try to be contrarian

lmao the most accurate description of DandC there ever was
I have a trans friend and I'm saddened to hear about this. Trans women are women. Gender and sex are two separate things. Gender, much like race, is a social construct with zero biological basis.
Original post by Dez
Do you often check the contents of a person's pants before you start a conversation with them then?

No, but I can make a good guess from other things, just like everyone else (including you) is capable of doing automatically. Plus you've dodged the point I made - is it malicious or harmful to do so?
Original post by Joleee
it doesn't warrant that much attention. we have 100+ threads on our opinion of trans people and maybe 2 on criminal justice reform. meanwhile criminal justice affects far more of the population and FAR more of tax payers' money. we're focusing on petty issues then. i don't really understand the second part of your argument re malice. you don't have to have malicious intent in order to be pointless.

We can't really change the way the laws in this country works, but we can discuss what is the 'right' and 'wrong' way to treat each other.
Reply 19
Original post by ThomH97
No, but I can make a good guess from other things, just like everyone else (including you) is capable of doing automatically. Plus you've dodged the point I made - is it malicious or harmful to do so?

Guesswork is reasonable. Outright refusing to refer to someone as their preferred identity is plain rude, and I would certainly consider it likely to be malicious and harmful behaviour at that point.

Latest