The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge Postgraduate application and extenuating circumstances

Hi
I am preparing to apply for a postgraduate course at Cambridge University (the course is one of the few best suited to my proposed research topic). Entry requirements state a high 2.1, I have an average 2.1, having graduated 5 years ago. During my first and final years of undergraduate study I suffered major cancer scares with multiple tests and an operation bang in the middle of my dissertation and final essays. (Add to that my cousin being diagnosed with cancer and dying whilst I underwent this). The university were aware and I got all of my work in on time, bar my dissertation which I was given a 2day extension for (pretty tight of them) but I don't think that this was taken into account in terms of grading.
My question is whether anyone has had any experience of putting extenuating circumstances down on a graduate form, particularly at Cambridge?

Just to slip in an extra question, are there any testimonials from people applying having been out of education for a while?
(I can’t speak for Cambridge / post grad specifically, but I do have experience with extenuating circumstances)

Essentially, if it’s medical you just need doctors notes explaining what happened. The focus needs to be on exam time though, or it needs to elaborate on why you were unable to study effectively throughout the year.

May I ask what you mean by cancer scares, in medical terms what that meant to you? Listing the scare of a serious illness doesn’t in itself qualify you for extenuating circumstances - It’ll be the symptoms themselves, do you have any medical diagnoses, as that will help?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by FloralHybrid
(I can’t speak for Cambridge / post grad specifically, but I do have experience with extenuating circumstances)

Essentially, if it’s medical you just need doctors notes explaining what happened. The focus needs to be on exam time though, or it needs to elaborate on why you were unable to study effectively throughout the year.

May I ask what you mean by cancer scares, in medical terms what that meant to you? Listing the scare of a serious illness doesn’t in itself qualify you for extenuating circumstances - It’ll be the symptoms themselves, do you have any medical diagnoses, as that will help?

Thank you for replying.
You have a good point.
Doctors thought I had lymphoma. I missed classes as I kept being called into the hospital. I had blood tests, scans, major surgery/biopsy and of course was also majorly stressful. My cousin dying also meant that I spent time grieving and left university for a few days to go home attend her funeral. There was some time when healing when I couldn't work on my essays (I opted for dissertation and essays in final year no exams) and attend classes.
So I guess that sums up as having missed classes and physically being unable to work as the direct affect.
Original post by think1
Thank you for replying.
You have a good point.
Doctors thought I had lymphoma. I missed classes as I kept being called into the hospital. I had blood tests, scans, major surgery/biopsy and of course was also majorly stressful. My cousin dying also meant that I spent time grieving and left university for a few days to go home attend her funeral. There was some time when healing when I couldn't work on my essays (I opted for dissertation and essays in final year no exams) and attend classes.
So I guess that sums up as having missed classes and physically being unable to work as the direct affect.

That would be the direct effect, yep.

So the best thing to do here, is contact your GP and ask them to put that into writing. A key thing to get written down, as it eliminates any doubt, is “XYZ had a severe impact on their studies” Both in terms of your medical side of things, and the grief of losing a family member. - Sometimes there’s a £20 charge for a doctors note.

And use that doctors note alongside filling in an extenuating circumstances form, which goes alongside your application.

Best of luck to you. 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
That would be the direct effect, yep.

So the best thing to do here, is contact your GP and ask them to put that into writing. A key thing to get written down, as it eliminates any doubt, is “XYZ had a severe impact on their studies” Both in terms of your medical side of things, and the grief of losing a family member. - Sometimes there’s a £20 charge for a doctors note.

And use that doctors note alongside filling in an extenuating circumstances form, which goes alongside your application.

Best of luck to you. 😊

Thank you very much. I'll try to get this ready before applications open.
Original post by think1

I don't think Cambridge will consider extenuating circumstances as you describe. First of all, the circumstances should have been considered within your undergrad grading. If they weren't, then that is history. Second, this was all 5 years ago, Cambridge will be looking at what you have been doing in the meantime to add to your application, if you haven't got work/research/further training experience, then even a high 2.1, if five years old, might not cut it.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
I don't think Cambridge will consider extenuating circumstances as you describe. First of all, the circumstances should have been considered within your undergrad grading. If they weren't, then that is history. Second, this was all 5 years ago, Cambridge will be looking at what you have been doing in the meantime to add to your application, if you haven't got work/research/further training experience, then even a high 2.1, if five years old, might not cut it.

Thank you. To be honest I wasn't putting all of my hopes on them accepting it. Hopefully the rest of my application will be strong enough but we shall see...
Original post by think1
Thank you. To be honest I wasn't putting all of my hopes on them accepting it. Hopefully the rest of my application will be strong enough but we shall see...

I had been out of education for a while when I applied to Cam, as had many on my course. They were very positive about professional experience compensating for academic record - to the extent that one person on my Masters course didn't have any undergraduate degree at all, simply professional experience. If your 5 years since graduation have been spent in a relevant area of work, then that is often seen as a positive for some courses (anything in Judge or POLIS for example).
Reply 8
As someone who both did their undergrad and applied for postgrad study at Cam, my suggestion would be to absolutely submit the extenuating circumstances form along with your application, even if you're sceptical that it'll make much different. From my experience they do tend to assess applications holistically, so it's worth providing as much information as possible to support your application!
Reply 9
Original post by ek95jcc
As someone who both did their undergrad and applied for postgrad study at Cam, my suggestion would be to absolutely submit the extenuating circumstances form along with your application, even if you're sceptical that it'll make much different. From my experience they do tend to assess applications holistically, so it's worth providing as much information as possible to support your application!

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending