Chances of getting in? Watch

IdLikeToHideTy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Pretty sure my grades will be a flop - suck at one subject to the point I tried studying harder for it, only to likely sacrifice another for likely sub-par results for both.

I plan on doing games design and (surprisingly) wasn't asked for a portfolio whilst some other subjects are asked to provide them. Wondering what my chances are of being able to bargain to show a portfolio to help makeup for no doubt poor grades.

I would ask on the support line, but like... I called for a general enquiry not too long ago and don't want to keep calling them up if they're busy lol
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by IdLikeToHideTy)
Pretty sure my grades will be a flop - suck at one subject to the point I tried studying harder for it, only to likely sacrifice another for likely sub-par results for both.

I plan on doing games design and (surprisingly) wasn't asked for a portfolio whilst some other subjects are asked to provide them. Wondering what my chances are of being able to bargain to show a portfolio to help makeup for no doubt poor grades.

I would ask on the support line, but like... I called for a general enquiry not too long ago and don't want to keep calling them up if they're busy lol
A course this niche will most likely be in Clearing and have free spaces. It's likely Brunel will let you in even if you miss by a few grades.
LittleSnowJJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,
I'm an upcoming 3rd Year Games Design student at Brunel, and if I'm honest, and I'm not sure about the year below me, but in my year we haven't had any clearing students. The course is actually growing in popularity, and is really successful. However, the grades required are still BBB right? So on results day if your grades are a bit lower, give them a call, they should forward you to the admissions tutor for games design, explain the situation and be ready to sell yourself/your portfolio/and how much you want to do this course, and I reckon you'd have a decent chance. Don't worry about whether the course is in the online clearing list or not, just call them as soon as you recieve your grades.

Good Luck!

Julz
LexiKristen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LittleSnowJJ)
Hi,
I'm an upcoming 3rd Year Games Design student at Brunel, and if I'm honest, and I'm not sure about the year below me, but in my year we haven't had any clearing students. The course is actually growing in popularity, and is really successful. However, the grades required are still BBB right? So on results day if your grades are a bit lower, give them a call, they should forward you to the admissions tutor for games design, explain the situation and be ready to sell yourself/your portfolio/and how much you want to do this course, and I reckon you'd have a decent chance. Don't worry about whether the course is in the online clearing list or not, just call them as soon as you recieve your grades.

Good Luck!
Hey,
Im looking to apply for the Video Games with creative writing course at Brunel. I know it’s not quite the same course, but do you think it’s a well respected place to take the course?

I’m also looking at Staffordshire’s game design course that looks cool, but again im not sure about reputation.
Staffordshire University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LexiKristen)
Hey,
Im looking to apply for the Video Games with creative writing course at Brunel. I know it’s not quite the same course, but do you think it’s a well respected place to take the course?

I’m also looking at Staffordshire’s game design course that looks cool, but again im not sure about reputation.
Hi LexiKristen

It's great to hear that you're considering studying games design at Staffs.

In terms of reputation, I'm sorry to hear you're concerned. Staffs is actually considered one of the best universities in the UK for games (we were named best University for games design by Alphr) and we have really strong links with the games industry - we even have a special games lab sponsored by Epic Games.

Did you have any other concerns about Staffs that we might be able to help with?

Thanks

Amy
LexiKristen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi LexiKristen

It's great to hear that you're considering studying games design at Staffs.

In terms of reputation, I'm sorry to hear you're concerned. Staffs is actually considered one of the best universities in the UK for games (we were named best University for games design by Alphr) and we have really strong links with the games industry - we even have a special games lab sponsored by Epic Games.

Did you have any other concerns about Staffs that we might be able to help with?

Thanks

Amy
Thanks for the reply
regarding your ‘computer gameplay design and production’ course, is it necessary to apply with extensive abilities in coding (above use of language used at A level) and any artistic qualification?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 12 Apr '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise