The Fortnite user who won't play with female gamers Watch

Vic Vinegar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The BBC reports that Fortnite streamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins won't play with female gamers "out of respect" for his wife.

Ninja is famous for playing Fortnite and is the first Twitch streamer to reach 10 million followers.

The US gamer suggested that it could lead to rumours regarding him and the women he's playing with.

He says "the only way to avoid that is to not play with them at all".

However, fellow Twitch streamer Rage Darling says that he's "indirectly reinforcing the stereotype that a lot of female gamers are Twitch thots", i.e. women that "use their sexual identity to get more views or "more money".

What do you think? Is this too excessive? Or does he have a good reason?
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He could just avoid the twitch thots but I guess that's easier said than done.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
respect to that guy
Risk08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He simply wants to keep his family happy. Nothing wrong with avoiding possible situations that could cause issues.
I'm God
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow.

It's just a choice. Is there really a need to make an article about it?
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the dude is married, idk why people are getting butthurt over it
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sounds a bit extreme. There's no reason for anyone to assume he's involved with someone else if he's this open about being happily married.

How does he even know the gender of everyone he's playing with anyway? Is he deciding it just based on if they have their real name or a variation of "girl" in their usernames? :dontknow: I mean I deliberately use a gender ambiguous name on video games (and websites related to video games) and know many other women who do as well. Most of the time people just assume me to be a guy and I don't bother to correct them unless it's someone I then start talking/playing with more frequently.
Qway
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
That sounds a bit extreme. There's no reason for anyone to assume he's involved with someone else if he's this open about being happily married.

How does he even know the gender of everyone he's playing with anyway? Is he deciding it just based on if they have their real name or a variation of "girl" in their usernames? :dontknow: I mean I deliberately use a gender ambiguous name on video games (and websites related to video games) and know many other women who do as well. Most of the time people just assume me to be a guy and I don't bother to correct them unless it's someone I then start talking/playing with more frequently.
It said he won’t play with female streamers ie so they won’t be doing sessions together because it could be taken out of context and been made a rumor etc.
Hes still gonna play with female gamers just they won’t stream together which isn’t really a problem because he mostly streams on his own anyway
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He's certainly stirred the pot with those comments. I don't see it as a problem really, I'd be willing to bet a fair few mainstream entertainers have rules like this in place for very similar reasons. It's just that usually these stipulations aren't really in the public eye, it'll just be part of the whole have-your-people-call-my-people business.

And while Ninja's decision might have a negative impact on female streamers, that really isn't Ninja's problem. It's not his job to promote or legitimise other streamers.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess it's fair enough. If he wants to try and dodge the rumour mill then that's fine by me.
(Original post by sinfonietta)

I presume it's more about people he co-ops and collabs with rather than the randoms he shoots in the face in game lobbies.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vic Vinegar)
The BBC reports that Fortnite streamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins won't play with female gamers "out of respect" for his wife.

Ninja is famous for playing Fortnite and is the first Twitch streamer to reach 10 million followers.

The US gamer suggested that it could lead to rumours regarding him and the women he's playing with.

He says "the only way to avoid that is to not play with them at all".

However, fellow Twitch streamer Rage Darling says that he's "indirectly reinforcing the stereotype that a lot of female gamers are Twitch thots", i.e. women that "use their sexual identity to get more views or "more money".

What do you think? Is this too excessive? Or does he have a good reason?
He either has a very controlling, manipulative wife or he's using it as an excuse for his misogynistic view that female gamers aren't as good. However, how could he know? Female gamers aren't always evident until they speak. I actually changed my PSN name and made a new account so my username would not immediately give away my sex, so male gamers would be more accepting of me and my capabilities. Because if you win, it's because you're lucky and the men who fancy you helped you and if you lose, it's because you're a female. It used to cause so much stress that I don't play online anymore and I know of many female gamers who have been forced out of it because their sex becomes an issue and they can no longer enjoy the online experience without being belittled or treated differently.

There are definitely girls on Twitch who use their sexuality to their advantage though. Men are going to watch a girl with her tits almost hanging out, over a modest, actual gaming female fan.
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The fact this is even an issue in modern relationships makes me pretty glad to be single.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Straight poeple are weird.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's a ludicrous overreaction.

Does he think he will be unable to resist having an affair if he plays a game with a girl who could be literally thousands of miles away?

Seems like he needs to some willpower.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
That's a ludicrous overreaction.

Does he think he will be unable to resist having an affair if he plays a game with a girl who could be literally thousands of miles away?

Seems like he needs to some willpower.
I think it's more that he doesn't want to be met with a deluge of "are Ninja and so-and-so secretly DATING?!?!" YouTube videos every time he does a collaborative stream. There have been several cases of streamers having to deal with that toxic nonsense in the recent past.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
I think it's more that he doesn't want to be met with a deluge of "are Ninja and so-and-so secretly DATING?!?!" YouTube videos every time he does a collaborative stream. There have been several cases of streamers having to deal with that toxic nonsense in the recent past.
Gamers really are a bunch of douchebags some, no, most of the time.
Rollersteaam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Gamers really are a bunch of douchebags some, no, most of the time.
Humans are douchebags. It's life. Hold on to the non-*****y people close to you and weather the storm, that's what it means to live. Sadly, men change their behaviour when a woman is on the scene because we are just advanced primates, this is what we do to live. Ninja's decision to therefore not incite the crowd is not only a perfect and rational response but a smart one.

(Original post by hannxm)
He either has a very controlling, manipulative wife or he's using it as an excuse for his misogynistic view that female gamers aren't as good. However, how could he know? Female gamers aren't always evident until they speak. I actually changed my PSN name and made a new account so my username would not immediately give away my sex, so male gamers would be more accepting of me and my capabilities. Because if you win, it's because you're lucky and the men who fancy you helped you and if you lose, it's because you're a female. It used to cause so much stress that I don't play online anymore and I know of many female gamers who have been forced out of it because their sex becomes an issue and they can no longer enjoy the online experience without being belittled or treated differently.

There are definitely girls on Twitch who use their sexuality to their advantage though. Men are going to watch a girl with her tits almost hanging out, over a modest, actual gaming female fan.
I don't agree that his wife is controlling or manipulative, but that could be a possibilty. I definitely don't think he's using it as an excuse for his misogynistic view however - Ninja is one of the most famous internet "celebrities" of all time and taking measures like this is paramount to not only his success but his wellbeing as well. Why add more ways for things to go wrong? Especially when he's just opting to not do stream collaborations, it's a very simple and non-intrusive choice to make and understandable for both misogynistic and non-misogynistic people. If he really had a problem with his wife's potential demands then I'm sure he would break orders, she isn't the reason behind his immense success after all.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kinda reminds me of when Louis Theroux met Jimmy Savile, and Jimmy was saying he pretended to hate kids so that no one would accuse him of being a paedophile, but Jimmy (and I'm sure everyone instantly) knew at that moment the guy was molesting kids because he went to that effort and was defensive about it.

So either this guy wants to headshot some gamer girlz, or his wife is crazy and demanded he never interact with women ever again and he's pretending it's his choice to avoid looking emasculated.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
the dude is married, idk why people are getting butthurt over it
He is the Mike Pence of gaming...

What a ****ing douchebag.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So, streamer of a **** game for toxic ***** turns out to be wallowing in that. In other news water wet, fire hot.

Gaming has a massive sexism problem (yes you, dweebs who got involved in gamergate), and **** like this just perpetuates it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%