This discussion is closed.
Jan Goldin
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i'm not selfish. i help old women to cross the street and stuff like that, but to care if someone
cheated or not has nothing to do with being selfish, you loooooooooser ))))))) "Robbo"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:B9090E70.3AD1%[email protected]...
[q1]> in article [email protected] lo.at, Jan Goldin at [email protected] wrote on 14/5/02[/q1]
[q1]> 1:47 AM:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > for me it's more important what grades i get. i don't care if others had[/q2]
an
[q2]> > advantage. if i get good results then i'm happy. you need to grow up![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> That is completely selfish isn't it? Did CAS teach you anything? Yes, I[/q1]
know
[q1]> it was boring, but the whole idea of community service is to HELP OTHERS. Unfortunately that's the[/q1]
[q1]> problem with this world, everyone is too darn selfish to give a stuff about anyone else. So I[/q1]
[q1]> think you should go and[/q1]
take
[q1]> a look at yourself before you think those sorts of things.[/q1]
Robbo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
in article [email protected] lo.at, Jan Goldin at [email protected] wrote on
19/5/02 7:42 AM:

[q1]> i'm not selfish. i help old women to cross the street and stuff like that, but to care if someone[/q1]
[q1]> cheated or not has nothing to do with being selfish,[/q1]

Yes it does, because if you know someone has and do nothing about it then you are unfairly
advantaging someone. If you don't care and you know about it then you are just as bad as the person
who cheated.

[q1]> you loooooooooser )))))))[/q1]

I think you are the one who needs to grow up. How old are you? No sane person would write that
sort of thing.

[q1]> "Robbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:B9090E70.3AD1%[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> in article [email protected] lo.at, Jan Goldin at [email protected] wrote on 14/5/02[/q2]
[q2]>> 1:47 AM:[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q3]>>> for me it's more important what grades i get. i don't care if others had[/q3]
[q1]> an[/q1]
[q3]>>> advantage. if i get good results then i'm happy. you need to grow up![/q3]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> That is completely selfish isn't it? Did CAS teach you anything? Yes, I[/q2]
[q1]> know[/q1]
[q2]>> it was boring, but the whole idea of community service is to HELP OTHERS. Unfortunately that's[/q2]
[q2]>> the problem with this world, everyone is too darn selfish to give a stuff about anyone else. So I[/q2]
[q2]>> think you should go and[/q2]
[q1]> take[/q1]
[q2]>> a look at yourself before you think those sorts of things.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i doubt you're helping the old ladies accross the street, more likely gripping onto them so if a car skids out of control you've got a human barrier to protect your worthless self.
and i doubt its the old ladies who will be competing for the same jobs as you in five years time.
Robbo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
in article [email protected] lo.at, Jan Goldin at [email protected] wrote on
19/5/02 7:42 AM:

[q1]> i'm not selfish. i help old women to cross the street and stuff like that, but to care if someone[/q1]
[q1]> cheated or not has nothing to do with being selfish, you loooooooooser ))))))) "Robbo"[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:B9090E70.3AD1%[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> in article [email protected] lo.at, Jan Goldin at [email protected] wrote on 14/5/02[/q2]
[q2]>> 1:47 AM:[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q3]>>> for me it's more important what grades i get. i don't care if others had[/q3]
[q1]> an[/q1]
[q3]>>> advantage. if i get good results then i'm happy. you need to grow up![/q3]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> That is completely selfish isn't it? Did CAS teach you anything? Yes, I[/q2]
[q1]> know[/q1]
[q2]>> it was boring, but the whole idea of community service is to HELP OTHERS. Unfortunately that's[/q2]
[q2]>> the problem with this world, everyone is too darn selfish to give a stuff about anyone else. So I[/q2]
[q2]>> think you should go and[/q2]
[q1]> take[/q1]
[q2]>> a look at yourself before you think those sorts of things.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Given up have we Jan?
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
first, in response to loon's statement that seems to befit his name: "i hope every single one of you ... that has entered an A2 language at B1, every single ****ing one of you, fails. i hope you fail miserably, so ****ing miserably you have to retake the whole goddamn two years."

I'm one of those people. I go to a bilingual school but I take French B Higher Level. I'm familiar with the curriculum of both A2 French and B French. Let me say that both are different and neither can be described as more difficult than the other.

French B concerns itself with French culture, low levels of French literature, and French Grammar (which counts for A LOT).

French A2 is mainly concerned with literature but involves no grammar studies.

Certainly for me, in terms of practicality, I'm much more likely to use the French language in conversation than have to discuss Moliere and Camus texts in my future. I took French B because I wanted to imporve my language skills. Many in my school did the same. We're ALL bilingual, but some choose to do French B because it teaches something that we see as being of more use in our day to day lives.

In terms of mark bands, it's a common misconception, perpetuated by loons like you, that French B is easier. At my school, French A2 students generally score between 4-7 (majority are 5-6), in French B, we generally score between 5-7 (majority score 6). The difference is not that overwhelming.

By the way, cheating is wrong. While I'm not so petty as to worry about my marks being affected by a cheater, I do think that somebody who cheats on the IB and uses those grades to get into university is stealing the spot of somebody who didn't wuite achieve those grades, but didn't cheat. Plus, cheaters debase the value of the IB diploma. One of the benefits of the IB over other national and regional curricula is that it is objective and perceived as impenetrable by frauds (everything seems to be so controlled that cheating is perceived to be non-existent).

Anyways, just my thoughts...
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
the difference is there, kenvelshi.
you show me a bilingual student who will not get at least a 6 in french b1, and i will show you a pig on a par with concorde.
the ibo themselves ask that bilingual students are entered for A2. that is why it is there. you agree that cheating is wrong, yet don't agree that bilinguals entered for B1 rather than A2 have an extreme advantage.
you're the loon.
i hereby sacrifice my name as a user
you deserve it more, you dumb looooosserr

i may not be bilingual, but i'm sure you'll all agree my poetic grasp of the english language more than makes up for it.

oh, and congrats to everyone who made it through...without ****ing the rest of us over.

orevwar, orevwar.
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
there are many french b students who don't get a 6 at my bilingual school. marks generally range from 5-7. out of around 40 students taking french b at my school, around seven get 7, about the same number get 5, and the occasional one per couple of years gets a 4. that's about 20% each year who get lower than 6.

you don't seem to understand that french a2 is not a smarter version of french b. to use a cliche, it's like comparing apples to oranges. french a2 deals primarily with literature, french b deals with french culture and grammar. both involve similar hours of work but deal with completely different aspects of the french language.

it all depends on what you want to learn. i wanted to perfect my french linguistic skills as opposed to develop the ability to interpret texts in the french langauge.

if, at the end of the day, the IB is supposed to measure one's intelligence, then it follows that if you have two people, each of whom are equally skilled in the same set of courses, but one knows a second language better than the other, then that bilingual person should get a better mark. where's the injustice my good loony friend? if both of us take french, and i know more french than you, then it follows that i should get a better mark in french (you don't get maked on your effort but rather on the skills required at the end of the day!)

who says that you deserve special treatment because you never bothered to learn a second language at an early age? i took the time at a younger age to be taught in a bilingual environment, and so I reap the rewards at an older age.

i spent the first 15 years of my life learning english and french. you spent the first 15 years of your life learning english and jerking off. i am better at french, you are better at jerking off. at the end of the day, a 7 in french might be the reward for my early efforts at learning the french language, while a strong right forearm will be yours.

don't whine because you feel that you got dealt the **** end of the stick.
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i was never given the opportunity to learn a second language from an early age, and, try as i might, reading french grammar exercise books alone didn't help at all.
i repeat that, for a bilingual student, french B is easier than french A2. i repeat that that is exactly why it was introduced.
how about i enter english A2?
read a passage saying "the man's hat was blue", and get asked was the man's hat a)blue b)square or c)russian?

and by the way, as much as you would love to think i am a man, because i'm clearly arguing a fair point well and i expect you couldn't imagine a lowly girl being capable of such a feat, i am not the man you presume me to be. and some people have enough physical interaction will members of the opposite, or same, gender to have no need to "jerk off", as you so eloquently put it.
you, along with janny boy (because, as much as jan is definitely a female name where i come from, i am pretty damn sure that he is a male) are the sorts of guys who give IB students a bad name.
go jerk each other off.
i'm off to enter myself for english ab initio.
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
it seems as though you haven't understood the simple fact that french b is no more, nor less difficult than french a2

french ab initio: introduction to the study of the language
french a2: literature for french as a second language students
french b: french culture and advanced grammar for french as a second language students
french a1: literature for native speakers

who are you to say that studying french culture and grammar in a non-French country is any less difficult than studying french literature

they are equally difficult! - if you don't believe me, look at the marks breakdown

the average worldwide IB score for French B students is somewhere between 4-5. the average worldwide IB score for French A2 students is somewhere between 4-5. any differences are merely statistical and vary from year to year and exam to exam.

you speak jokingly about joining english ab initio. once again, another false analogy (maybe you should be in a lower level of english)!

ab intio is just that: for students being initiated to the language. french b and a2 are for students who are already familiar with the language - but who want to specialize in either language or literature.

i apologise for assuming that you were a man. it was just that your vulgar language, frequent threats, false arguments, and stupid logic made you seem more like a stereotypical male (let's face it, i'm north american - it's how we think), when, as it turns out, you were quite simply a woman acting as though it was perpetually her time of the month. sorry for the mistake - i will proceed with caution when debating with you in the future.

and besides, if you're so insecure about your understanding of the french language then maybe you should be in french ab intio - then maybe you could stop whining about french b being too difficult. it seems to me as though if something is too difficult, and you're not willing to put up with it without whining, and a simpler option exists (ab initio), then you should opt for the easier one. then you could stop complaining and stop dumbing down courses which are clearly too advanced for you.

perhaps i'm in the right course (french b) and you're in the wrong one because it's too challenging for you!
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
steady boy, i admit i found the french b1 paper 1 difficult, but not the subject as a whole. i was not whinging that it was difficult, simply that bilingual students should not be entered in b1 - i will repepat myself as often as you care to - a2 was created specifically to challenge bilingual students more than b1 does. don't believe me? go look it up on the ibo website.
and by the way, my threats??? whom did i threaten? i don't recall threatening anybody. i said i hoped cheaters and those who supported them fail, because they deserve to. i didn't threaten to report anyone to the IB or send round the boys to kneecap them. fool. if you fail to understand that, you're the one who belongs in english ab initio. but, if you really are the hotshot you seem to think you are, you'll know exactly what i mean when i say, with reference to the cheating issue, that you should heed pastor niemoller's warnings.
i will use whatever language i see fit, and i think you and your kind are not fit for anything more proper than the language of the gutter, where you clearly belong.

look forward to hearing from you soon, darling.

p.s. your continued sexism astounds me so much i'm inclined to tell you to piss off to mcdonalds and choke on a big mac with super large extra fries and a super diet (yes, diet!) pepsi, american pie. but i won't.
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
first of all, i'm canadian - not an "american pie" as you put it.

here's what i have been able to extract from our dialogue so far:
we both agree that cheating is morally wrong and has a negative impact on all IB students.

we disagree with respect to the definition of academic dishonesty. your definition of cheaters includes bilingual students who take French B. (as you can probably tell, i'm trying to be as un-emotional as possible and only state the facts)

i contend that French B is just as difficult as French A2, but that both concentrate on different aspects of the French language (language versus literature). you think that French B is easier than A2.

------------- this much, i hope, we can agree on -----------------

i can't speak for all bilingual students taking french B; however, from my perspective, having seen the syllabus and core texts of French A2 and B, and knowing my own abilities, I fell that i would have performed equally well in both subjects.

i may be bilingual, but i found the level of analysis required for A2 students with respect to literary texts to be just as difficult as what was required as knowledge for French B.

your example of a French B question: "read a passage saying "the man's hat was blue", and get asked was the man's hat a)blue b)square or c)russian?" is exagerated (on the exam, we all wished the questions were that easy!)

i can go to sleep knowing that i'll probably get a 7 in French B - just as I would have in French A2, all with the same amount of effort. so, for me at least, I didn't cheat (even by your definiton) because i didn't take the easy way out.

perhaps your argument is somewhat valid for bilingual students who took French B because it was easier than A2. all i know is that for me, this was not the case.
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
okey cokey, nice exchanging views with you.

now, about bluddy SL chemistry.....
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i may not have taken the easy way out in my second language, but i admit that i did when choosing my science subject.

i can say, with complete confidence, that SL Environmental Systems is indubitably the easiest possible science course on the face of the planet.

while most of my friends were spending hours upon hours studying and writing labs in chem, physiscs, and, to a lesser extent, bio, enviro was a breeze for all 4 people in my class.

although few people in my school plan on taking enviro when we begin thinking about the IB because it doesn't even seem like a true science, i chose to move to enviro from physics because i wasn't happy with my 63% (a horrible mark by Canadian standards). my 3 other classmates made similar switches after noticing how horrible their BIO marks were

the size of the enviro syllabus is MUCH smaller than any of the other sciences. the level of difficulty is minimal.

to be good in enviro, you need to have a basic understanding of english and economics and common sense.

here are examples of 2 enviro questions that were on this year's exam:
1)What is overpopulation?
a-when .....
b-when .....
c-when there are more individuals than resources needed to sustain them
d-when .....
2)What is one of the benefits of increasing environmental protection of habitats?
a-it protects species diversity by protecting habitats from human involvement and exploitation
b-when .....
c-when .....
d-when .....

these questions are not anomalies - they are actually indocative of the level of difficulty involved in SL enviro. honestly, as a cousel in new IB students, if you don't plan on pursuing a university program where a "real science" is a prerequisite, then seriously consider taking enviro. it's a pretty safe bet that you're not going to do badly (even if you are scientifically-challenged like me), also, it involves very, very little work.

i suspect that taking enviro is about as difficult as taking ab initio in your A1 language!

cheers
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (102)
9.71%
Isolating with family (71)
6.76%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.71%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.66%
Loneliness (105)
9.99%
Financial worries (47)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (96)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.04%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.66%

Watched Threads