Can I pull this off or is it a bad idea? Watch

ria2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If I were to start my personal statement with a quote from Shrek- something thatd definitely grab the readers attention but also something that I can link to the course im applying for, is it okay?

Like I get that its just two sentences at the beginning but i’m applying to cambridge and I was wondering if that would affect my chances of getting in.
ria2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Also, in whatever I have planned so far, I havent explicitly said its from shrek- like I’ve tweaked it a little bit and worked with the meaning of one of the movies dialogues. Do I still have to mention where I got ‘inspired’ (is that the word?) from?
Zac05627348
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haha that's class! What's the quote?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ria2)
If I were to start my personal statement with a quote from Shrek- something thatd definitely grab the readers attention but also something that I can link to the course im applying for, is it okay?

Like I get that its just two sentences at the beginning but i’m applying to cambridge and I was wondering if that would affect my chances of getting in.
Starting with a quote is never a good idea. It wastes space and isn't unique to you. Using a film quote is even worse. If I remember correctly you are applying for psychology. How is Shrek relevant to psychology? And an opening isn't just 2 lines. You need to go straight into why this course and what your specific academic interests are so I can't imagine Shrek having a place in there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?