Should Programming replace History in schools? Watch

Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
The heck?

I did History GCSE and CompSci GCSE with a heavy programming element to it and it was absolutely fine. I enjoyed History a lot which reflected in my marks..

Not entirely sure why one needs to replace the other.
I suppose we could update that quote:
"Those who don't know history are doomed to endless loop it."
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jauikq6)
Should History be replaced by Programming for GCSEs? Considering how pretty much every company is using technology/software now, it seems this would have much more real - world value.
uh huh.

this is like saying everyone should learn to type instead of learning English. are you that dumb?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
I suppose we could update that quote:
"Those who don't know history are doomed to endless loop it."
That's brilliant
doubleGs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At this point, all history is is a free for all cos its only a substitute teacher. All hell broke loose.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jauikq6)
Considering how pretty much every company is using technology/software now, it seems this would have much more real - world value.
Maybe there is more to life than slotting into the capitalist machine?

If you want to understand the above question history helps with that.
TomWilson01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Simple answer, no,

History is very important to learn, people should know the history of their country/others, this way we know why things are the way they are today.

Programming is becoming a worry though. Tim Cook, CEO of Apple recommended to Donald Trump that programming should be tough in all schools, seeing as Cook is the CEO of one of the biggest tech giants in the world, there is a clear lack in this profession, for the past 30 years, technology has been improving massively and people have wanted to know how it works, hence why a lot of senior programmers are middle-aged, however, the young people of today are growing up with the technology with them, it works and that is all they care about, not how and why it works.

I do not think history should be replaced, but I do think the government should be working alongside companies, such as Apple to decide what is best, the simple answer is, something should be done and yes programming should be taught at all schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (123)
65.43%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.74%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.83%

Watched Threads