The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university!

I’m dropping out of uni & I was just wondering after I complete my withdrawal form is it just a case of ringing up student finance and telling them I’ve left so they just cancel my payments. Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Cpppoppp
I’m dropping out of uni & I was just wondering after I complete my withdrawal form is it just a case of ringing up student finance and telling them I’ve left so they just cancel my payments. Any help would be appreciated!

It depends what stage in your course you are at and which funding body you are with, but generally you just need to phone them up and they'll be able to advise exactly what will happen and if you need to pay any money back will sort out a repayment plan for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It depends what stage in your course you are at and which funding body you are with, but generally you just need to phone them up and they'll be able to advise exactly what will happen and if you need to pay any money back will sort out a repayment plan for you.

I will Be leaving this year which will be my end of scone year
I will Be leaving this year which will be my end of scone year

Well do realise you owe quite a bit! Silly to quit. Your going to now have basically a graduate tax, without graduating for the rest of your life!
Reply 4
I thought you had to apply for student finance every year, so if you withdraw wouldn't it be a matter of not applying for funding?
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Well do realise you owe quite a bit! Silly to quit. Your going to now have basically a graduate tax, without graduating for the rest of your life!

I owe £28000 and I’m with SFE so I just checked and I don’t start paying back till I’m earning a certain amount
Reply 6
Original post by xptrt3
I thought you had to apply for student finance every year, so if you withdraw wouldn't it be a matter of not applying for funding?

Yeah I applied for it and it all got accepted but I’ve changed my mind in the meantime so I guess I’ll gave to give them a call
I withdrew back in February.

I didn't have to tell student finance as the uni seemed to sort it all out for me. Other unis may be different though so I'd check just in case.

I also had to pay back £1300 of the maintenance loan for the year (which had to come out of my savings as I'd already spent it on accommodation. Ouch). Wasn't the nicest letter to get through the post.

Worth it though as I'm now about to start a more suitable course at a different uni next month.
Reply 8
Original post by ThatSameCraig20
I withdrew back in February.

I didn't have to tell student finance as the uni seemed to sort it all out for me. Other unis may be different though so I'd check just in case.

I also had to pay back £1300 of the maintenance loan for the year (which had to come out of my savings as I'd already spent it on accommodation. Ouch). Wasn't the nicest letter to get through the post.

Worth it though as I'm now about to start a more suitable course at a different uni next month.

Thank you! Yeah I was searching up earlier and the reason you had to pay was because you left uni during the year so there was still a term left of your course! I’m leaving at the beginning of my 3rd so no payments will be made to me from student finance before I start if you get me!?
Thank you! Yeah I was searching up earlier and the reason you had to pay was because you left uni during the year so there was still a term left of your course! I’m leaving at the beginning of my 3rd so no payments will be made to me from student finance before I start if you get me!?

Its a real shame, but I see youve lost interest in fighting it.

They may give you a cert he, which you can try and use on another course to gain entry into year 2.

Your only other chance is a compelling personal reasons claim based on you being ill or having something go wrong it made you fail your exams.

I assume youve seen the form. Presumably you arent there, so send on the form and dont return. All seems such a waste and mess.
Sorry it didnt turn out for you.

https://www.beds.ac.uk/student-experience/studying-at-bedfordshire/student-support/thinking-of-leaving-the-university2
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Its a real shame, but I see youve lost interest in fighting it.

They may give you a cert he, which you can try and use on another course to gain entry into year 2.

Your only other chance is a compelling personal reasons claim based on you being ill or having something go wrong it made you fail your exams.

I assume youve seen the form. Presumably you arent there, so send on the form and dont return. All seems such a waste and mess.
Sorry it didnt turn out for you.

https://www.beds.ac.uk/student-experience/studying-at-bedfordshire/student-support/thinking-of-leaving-the-university2

I had plastic surgery which made me just lose focus of everything and I’ve got all the documentation but my tutor told me I’d be fine in enrolling back into second year and then I got told by sport admit I needed 30 credits so as it was verbal communication with my tutor I had no evidence on what he said so I asked him to produce an email stating he gave me the wrong advice and information and he’s denied it so I’m really not bothering anymore! They don’t wanna help anyone they pick who they think can do well at uni and just leave the ones on the side, plus I’ve just landed a job as well on insane money and I’d be stupid to turn it down so that’s another factor
I had plastic surgery which made me just lose focus of everything and I’ve got all the documentation but my tutor told me I’d be fine in enrolling back into second year and then I got told by sport admit I needed 30 credits so as it was verbal communication with my tutor I had no evidence on what he said so I asked him to produce an email stating he gave me the wrong advice and information and he’s denied it so I’m really not bothering anymore! They don’t wanna help anyone they pick who they think can do well at uni and just leave the ones on the side, plus I’ve just landed a job as well on insane money and I’d be stupid to turn it down so that’s another factor

Use the plastic surgery- see your GP about depression and say it was affecting you.

You can do way better than Bedford.
Reply 12

How do you get credits for verbal communication in your course? If you need more time to deal with your circumstances then you could interrupt your studies instead of withdrawing. You said that your plastic surgery made you lose focus. Could you explain how this had happened? Are you still interested in the course?
Reply 13
Original post by xptrt3
How do you get credits for verbal communication in your course? If you need more time to deal with your circumstances then you could interrupt your studies instead of withdrawing. You said that your plastic surgery made you lose focus. Could you explain how this had happened? Are you still interested in the course?

No I mean In verbal communication he said i would be fine I’m coming back and retaking my second year but my course admin told me I need 30 credits in order to be offered a retake you but my tutor never told me that in a meeting so I asked him to produce an email stating that he gave me the wrong advice and information but he’s denied what he told me so he won’t write an email
Reply 14
Were you supposed to get your credits during the year at uni? You could work on your course credits to go for the retake? What were you planning to do with the email from your tutor?
Reply 15
Original post by xptrt3
Were you supposed to get your credits during the year at uni? You could work on your course credits to go for the retake? What were you planning to do with the email from your tutor?

Yeah from passing assessments it gave me credits but as I had plastic surgery I lost focus with uni. The email from my tutor was meant to be evidence on my appeal to make it stronger but he’s denied ever saying it
Reply 16
How did plastic surgery make you lose focus in your course? Couldn't you just get the credits now?
Reply 17
Original post by xptrt3
How did plastic surgery make you lose focus in your course? Couldn't you just get the credits now?

Was in constant pain afterwards, just couldn’t do my lectures etc and no I cant uni is finished with for summer, all the resorts have been done

Quick Reply