The Student Room Group

Mature student looking to do GEM

Hi everyone,

I am just looking for opinions/advice on my current situation. I am 32 and a trained primary school teacher with several years experience but I haven't been very happy in my job most of the time as I don't feel that the job fulfils me and I am becoming very disinterested everyday. I have always been interested in doing Medicine but I was always told by teachers, friends and family that it was out of my reach, unattainable and highly competitive. I was always discouraged so I suppose I just fell into teaching then. Ever since, I have been very restless in my job, not very motivated to go for promotions or any further career development. I suppose you could say that I do my job well but with no real desire or love for the position that I have.

Anyway at 32, my siblings are unhappy that I want to return to college to do graduate entry medicine as they think that I am sacrificing everything in my life for my career, losing out on meeting someone, a future husband, children and that my life will be miserable. I am always getting hints from my sister about having kids and not leaving it too late. My mam is very encouraging and is supportive of my decision.

Has anyone been in the same situation before? How did it work going back to college in your early to mid thirties? I don't know what to do but I don't want to have any regrets either. I have a 2.1 degree in Finance and a PCGE in Primary teaching. I have a B in A-Level Biology but I have never studied Chemistry or Physics at A level.

I just love to hear some feedback and opinions about my predicament.

Thanks a lot
Hi

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

Hopefully the link may help you :smile: Somebody else more knowledgeable may see this thread and help you further.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply. I haven't logged on in a few weeks. I will look at the above link mentioned.
Reply 3
I started GEM at 29, after working in design/marketing for ~5 years. There's roughly 10-20 people (maybe more that I've not met) on my course at Warwick who are 30+ so don't worry about age too much. Med school would also be a fantastic opportunity to meet a partner (apparently it's very common at Warwick).

Unfortunately it's a bit close to the application deadline (15th october) this year for you to apply (UKCAT, work experience, etc). But definitely start getting some work experience/volunteering under your belt in preparation for an application next year. It will also help you test the waters and see whether the grass is actually greener (albeit not a complete picture!). Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mcdonm22
Hi everyone,

I am just looking for opinions/advice on my current situation. I am 32 and a trained primary school teacher with several years experience but I haven't been very happy in my job most of the time as I don't feel that the job fulfils me and I am becoming very disinterested everyday. I have always been interested in doing Medicine but I was always told by teachers, friends and family that it was out of my reach, unattainable and highly competitive. I was always discouraged so I suppose I just fell into teaching then. Ever since, I have been very restless in my job, not very motivated to go for promotions or any further career development. I suppose you could say that I do my job well but with no real desire or love for the position that I have.

Anyway at 32, my siblings are unhappy that I want to return to college to do graduate entry medicine as they think that I am sacrificing everything in my life for my career, losing out on meeting someone, a future husband, children and that my life will be miserable. I am always getting hints from my sister about having kids and not leaving it too late. My mam is very encouraging and is supportive of my decision.

Has anyone been in the same situation before? How did it work going back to college in your early to mid thirties? I don't know what to do but I don't want to have any regrets either. I have a 2.1 degree in Finance and a PCGE in Primary teaching. I have a B in A-Level Biology but I have never studied Chemistry or Physics at A level.

I just love to hear some feedback and opinions about my predicament.

Thanks a lot

Hahaha!

I am a 30 year old male and have thought about the exact same thing! I will be looking at the 2020 entry now as I have missed the GAMSAT deadline for the 2019 entry.

Like another poster has sad meds generally meet meds on the course / on the job so it's never too late.

Besides as a mature student I tend to grasp things more quickly and thoroughly as I have already have acquired the wider analytical skills from my degree, you tend to focus more and somewhat get less tired. I dont know if it was me but between the age of 17-25/26 I used to get tired too quickly nowadays I can run on empty and with less sleep and I still focus / perform well!
Reply 5
Thank you so much for all your replies. They are really appreciated and it really means a lot. I have been so worried about what other people think for so long that I have forgotten that what I think is the only opinion that really matters.

I haven't really talked to anyone about my plans for medicine but I do know that I can't stay teaching another year, I'm feeling very depressed and unmotivated at the minute.

Thanks itsmith, I'm going to prepare now to sit the GAMSAT next year. Yeah Nadman, I agree that I can throw my eye over something and pick it up quicker especially when I'm interested in the subject topic.

Thanks Royal Oak and I hope Marathi that you are thriving in your GEM course at Warwick. I will definately look into work experience now to build up my CV with good quality experience.

Thanks again everyone

Latest

Trending

Trending