Watt are you doing?! Laura's Year 11 GYG Watch

Lilsthebest
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
loving the puns girll xx
plus the title is so good - bet this years blog is going to smash last years one
Obvs tag me
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lilsthebest)
loving the puns girll xx
plus the title is so good - bet this years blog is going to smash last years one
Obvs tag me
haha thanks
hopefully! :crossedf:
:yep: :jumphug:
Lilsthebest
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
haha thanks
hopefully! :crossedf:
:yep: :jumphug:

:lovehug:
jadarose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn’t really enjoy R.E (even though into religious whoops) but well done on your grades! & add me to tag list pls
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadarose)
I didn’t really enjoy R.E (even though into religious whoops) but well done on your grades! & add me to tag list pls
:laugh: and will do :yes:
Phirstman
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tag me again this year please and good luck with Y11... 🙃
laurawatt
Rep:
?
16/8/18
Only 19 days until school starts again :headfire:

Today I did some geography and physics revision

For geography I used the mini revision guides that I made for each topic in the last weeks of school to refresh my memory and to also help me memorise some of the case studies and areas that we’ve already covered.
When I read a section, I also made up exam style questions to do with that and tried to answer them without looking at the booklet :yes: (they ranged from 1 mark to 4 mark questions, but I suppose I will need practise of the 6 and 9 markers soon!) i mostly do this in my head, although you could write them down too, I just didn’t have any paper to hand!
I find this method of revision useful and will keep coming back to those booklets and doing questions in the next fortnight before school :yep: :grin:

For physics I carried on making my P2 flashcards. It took a while because P2 is my weaker area (but lol so is the rest of physics :lol:) it’s about levers, cogs and motion (momentum/acceleration etc.) :nah: but I’m trying to understand it which is a step in the right direction I suppose
Whenever I make the flashcards I make sure I understand the topic as well as possible as I go along so that I’m not just aimlessly reciting the textbook, I can actually explain the concept/topic in my own words :work:

I’m not going to tag anyone until school starts again, but commment if you want to be on that tag list!
Keep smiling! :grouphugs:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phirstman)
Tag me again this year please and good luck with Y11... 🙃
Will do thanks :hugs: 🙃
Burnt Toast
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck, the thread looks great
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Burnt Toast)
Good luck, the thread looks great
Thanks! Do you want to be on the tag list?
Burnt Toast
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, that would be great!
username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
16/8/18
Only 19 days until school starts again :headfire:

Today I did some geography and physics revision

For geography I used the mini revision guides that I made for each topic in the last weeks of school to refresh my memory and to also help me memorise some of the case studies and areas that we’ve already covered.
When I read a section, I also made up exam style questions to do with that and tried to answer them without looking at the booklet :yes: (they ranged from 1 mark to 4 mark questions, but I suppose I will need practise of the 6 and 9 markers soon!) i mostly do this in my head, although you could write them down too, I just didn’t have any paper to hand!
I find this method of revision useful and will keep coming back to those booklets and doing questions in the next fortnight before school :yep: :grin:

For physics I carried on making my P2 flashcards. It took a while because P2 is my weaker area (but lol so is the rest of physics :lol:) it’s about levers, cogs and motion (momentum/acceleration etc.) :nah: but I’m trying to understand it which is a step in the right direction I suppose
Whenever I make the flashcards I make sure I understand the topic as well as possible as I go along so that I’m not just aimlessly reciting the textbook, I can actually explain the concept/topic in my own words :work:

I’m not going to tag anyone until school starts again, but commment if you want to be on that tag list!
Keep smiling! :grouphugs:
Keep going with all the work! Pro tip: Don't do what I did, I made cue cards for everything and then never even used them. So make sure all the resourses you make are useful. I find flash cards don't work for me because I'm too lazy to think the answer, I have to write it down. So find the best method for you!
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
can i be tagged

your revision is going great! school is super close

im going to try some of your revision techniques

hope your doing well
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaizieAmyr)
Keep going with all the work! Pro tip: Don't do what I did, I made cue cards for everything and then never even used them. So make sure all the resourses you make are useful. I find flash cards don't work for me because I'm too lazy to think the answer, I have to write it down. So find the best method for you!
:rave:
Yep! I've been experimenting with a few different revision techniques and I think I’ve found the best ways for each subject :yes:
Spoiler:
Show

Flashcards/Seneca Learning for the sciences
Practise questions for maths, english language and r.e
Mindmaps for music/english lit
Condensing notes into bullet points for geography

:grin:
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
can i be tagged

your revision is going great! school is super close

im going to try some of your revision techniques

hope your doing well
your wish is my command :girl:
I must be the only person who is looking forward to going back to school :lol:
Okay! Tell me how you get on
Are you making a GYG this year?
I am thank you! Hope you’re not working yourself too hard :hugs:
username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep! I've been experimenting with a few different revision techniques and I think I’ve found the best ways for each subject :yes:
Spoiler:
Show

That's very good.
username3774332
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spoiler:
Show

I'm doing well thanks :hugs:

I've been using Seneca learning and it's so interactive and helpful. Your revision strats are great. science is much easier now with it and I'm making some flashcards right now on get revising (if you dont use Getrevising already it's create as you can make your own notes)

I've been procrasinating a lot this week but finally did SOME productive work (i think) today.

DW i never work myself too hard even if I wanted to :lol:

I think i might not make a GYG because I have so much work to do. I dont think I'm as organised as you and cloud and it's a lot of work.

If you dont mind me asking how do you get good at subjects like RE, it's alright and I don't struggle it's that I dont pay attention to subjects like that. I'm planning doing some work next week on it and if you could give me some tips it would be great!

t
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
I'm doing well thanks :hugs:

I've been using Seneca learning and it's so interactive and helpful. Your revision strats are great. science is much easier now with it and I'm making some flashcards right now on get revising (if you dont use Getrevising already it's create as you can make your own notes)

I've been procrasinating a lot this week but finally did SOME productive work (i think) today.

DW i never work myself too hard even if I wanted to :lol:

I think i might not make a GYG because I have so much work to do. I dont think I'm as organised as you and cloud and it's a lot of work.

If you dont mind me asking how do you get good at subjects like RE, it's alright and I don't struggle it's that I dont pay attention to subjects like that. I'm planning doing some work next week on it and if you could give me some tips it would be great!

t
That’s good to hear :hugs:
Getrevising is part of the student room’s network thingy. Basically they own it :lol:
:woo: dw I’ve been procrastinating all holiday!
:yes: fair enough! It is a lot of work and you do have to use quite a bit of time you wouldn’t have spent studying/doing something else writing updates
Oof organised? Not a word one would typically use regarding myself :laugh:

R.E comes pretty naturally to me (unlike other writing subjects *cough* english language *cough*) but that’s probably because I already know basically half of the course from going to church/Sunday school for almost all of my life
To revise R.E though I like to make one side of a flash card about the topic in general (eg from a scientists/aethiests point of view) and then the other side split in two with what Christians think about the topic (eg abortion) and then on the other half what the other religion thinks and why (we do Hinduism at our school). I try and include key quotes that could help.

Also for R.E for both religions you’re doing find some quotes that can be used in almost any question e.g ‘love thy neighbour’ / ‘thou shalt not kill’ for Christianity then you have a quote for every topic that you can recall in the pressure of the exam
Also key principles for example in Hinduism ‘ahimsa’ is a key teaching meaning non-violence. This can be used instead of a quote (as long as you phrase it right!) as they only specify for a religious teaching, not specifically for a quote

I also like to condense a whole topic down into a double sided A4 piece of paper - usually typed up on the computer I challenge myself to get down all the relevant information I may need, Christian and Hindu viewpoints, including quotes etc. in no less that size 14 font. This ensures that I can compact my knowledge but also compact an answer when I am writing it as I tend to babble and that wastes time :grin:

Ooh also do some model answers :yes: we get set homeworks of a 12 mark question to answer quite regularly (as we only have one R.E lesson per week) and then when we get the feedback back the next lesson, we have to go and make a model answer for that question :yep: this also really helps because our teacher attaches the mark scheme so we know all the relevant points we should include and how to structure the answer in a more eloquent way
Seneca Learning has some stuff for r.e, but I’m not sure how great it is

Sorry for writing a blooming essay (Michiyo you got me doing them too! :grumble: :hugs:) but I hope at least some of my rambles have helped

Just ask if you need any more advice! :hugs:
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
x
Essays are the best :yep:

Tag me, please :hugs:
laurawatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michiyo)
Essays are the best :yep:

Tag me, please :hugs:
:yep:
Will do :cube:
username3774332
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s good to hear :hugs:
Getrevising is part of the student room’s network thingy. Basically they own it :lol:
:woo: dw I’ve been procrastinating all holiday!
:yes: fair enough! It is a lot of work and you do have to use quite a bit of time you wouldn’t have spent studying/doing something else writing updates
Oof organised? Not a word one would typically use regarding myself :laugh:

R.E comes pretty naturally to me (unlike other writing subjects *cough* english language *cough*) but that’s probably because I already know basically half of the course from going to church/Sunday school for almost all of my life
To revise R.E though I like to make one side of a flash card about the topic in general (eg from a scientists/aethiests point of view) and then the other side split in two with what Christians think about the topic (eg abortion) and then on the other half what the other religion thinks and why (we do Hinduism at our school). I try and include key quotes that could help.

Also for R.E for both religions you’re doing find some quotes that can be used in almost any question e.g ‘love thy neighbour’ / ‘thou shalt not kill’ for Christianity then you have a quote for every topic that you can recall in the pressure of the exam
Also key principles for example in Hinduism ‘ahimsa’ is a key teaching meaning non-violence. This can be used instead of a quote (as long as you phrase it right!) as they only specify for a religious teaching, not specifically for a quote

I also like to condense a whole topic down into a double sided A4 piece of paper - usually typed up on the computer I challenge myself to get down all the relevant information I may need, Christian and Hindu viewpoints, including quotes etc. in no less that size 14 font. This ensures that I can compact my knowledge but also compact an answer when I am writing it as I tend to babble and that wastes time :grin:

Ooh also do some model answers :yes: we get set homeworks of a 12 mark question to answer quite regularly (as we only have one R.E lesson per week) and then when we get the feedback back the next lesson, we have to go and make a model answer for that question :yep: this also really helps because our teacher attaches the mark scheme so we know all the relevant points we should include and how to structure the answer in a more eloquent way
Seneca Learning has some stuff for r.e, but I’m not sure how great it is

Sorry for writing a blooming essay (Michiyo you got me doing them too! :grumble: :hugs:) but I hope at least some of my rambles have helped

Just ask if you need any more advice! :hugs:
thank you so much!
i just realized get revising was part of TSR :facepalm:

I'll try to type up topics once I understand them and do practice questions.

My RE teacher this year wasn't as helping/determined to teach our class as he couldn't control them so I learned not as much as I could've. your teacher's sound awesome!

I would say it is easy for me to remember stuff but I don't think I'm at the level I want to be.

I would say english is my natural subject but once I got my language mock back... it's safe to say it's now worse than maths(although i've been doing excellent in my math mocks ). I keep getting the same results :lol: i guess i'll read newspapers and books for the next 8 months and it will improve

I think i've rambled on far to much, and thank you ever so much for your time and help :hugs:

Wish you well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (44)
33.08%
No I don't (62)
46.62%
I work during the holidays (27)
20.3%

Watched Threads