The Student Room Group

Does personality exist anymore?

I look around me, I look at my friends and the people I know, and I just think that personality is disappearing, it seems like there's no such a thing like personality anymore, or that it is being repressed.

Everyone likes the same music, everyone likes to party the same way, everyone wears the same clothes, everyone enjoys the same movies and books and, what's more, they would leave you if you dared to like something different.

Where can I find different people who actually think, who like to look for new stuff that helps them to learn about the world their surrounded by?
You're a teenager, I'm guessing? That's what a lot of being a teenager is, you'll invariably either try to fit in as much as possible or completely reject supposed trends so you can be an "individual" all the while not realising that you yourself are falling into a hipster stereotype.
Reply 2
But I think I don't care about completely rejecting everything that I'm supposed to like as a teenager, there are things that everyone likes that I also like. My point is that I feel like I haven't found people I want to send time with, people that I find interesting, and I dont know where to look.
Reply 3
well I don't I'm sorry ๐Ÿ˜‚
Original post by anabel.
But I think I don't care about completely rejecting everything that I'm supposed to like as a teenager, there are things that everyone likes that I also like. My point is that I feel like I haven't found people I want to send time with, people that I find interesting, and I dont know where to look.

I just created a thread 2 days ago saying that โ€œeveryoneโ€™s the sameโ€.
Reply 5
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I just created a thread 2 days ago saying that โ€œeveryoneโ€™s the sameโ€.

then I guess we're just the same thinking that everyone's the same right? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
in your thread I think you spoke a lot about physical appearance but idk, I think that's not that important as long as you have something more to offer, but the thing is that at least the people I know don't, they're just the pictures they post on instagram, and sometimes it seems to me that I can't even have a conversation with them ๐Ÿคท
It does exist. You just haven't been to many places and haven't met a lot of people. I had the same thoughts 2 years ago but then I went Germany and Switzerland and I met some amazing people who each had a different stype to each other. It was surprising to begin with for sure because I thought the same as you.
Reply 7
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
It does exist. You just haven't been to many places and haven't met a lot of people. I had the same thoughts 2 years ago but then I went Germany and Switzerland and I met some amazing people who each had a different stype to each other. It was surprising to begin with for sure because I thought the same as you.

I just spent 4 weeks in Ireland and met some of the best people I've ever known, I know there are amazing people out there, but now what?, now I'm here in my city with the people I've know my whole life and most of them are just what I've been saying. What am I supposed to do? just travel all the time? I want to solve the problem in the place where I'm living u know
Original post by anabel.
I just spent 4 weeks in Ireland and met some of the best people I've ever known, I know there are amazing people out there, but now what?, now I'm here in my city with the people I've know my whole life and most of them are just what I've been saying. What am I supposed to do? just travel all the time? I want to solve the problem in the place where I'm living u know

I know what you mean but you have to realise you are young right now. If you dont mind telling how old are you? I ask this because once you go to University you will realise that there are a wide variety of people. Right now all you can do is live with these people and not think about it too much. Sorry I cant be much help but thats my experience. Good luck
Reply 9
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
I know what you mean but you have to realise you are young right now. If you dont mind telling how old are you? I ask this because once you go to University you will realise that there are a wide variety of people. Right now all you can do is live with these people and not think about it too much. Sorry I cant be much help but thats my experience. Good luck

I'm 18 and about to start my second year of university.
okay I won't think ๐Ÿ˜‚
thank you for answering ๐Ÿ˜„
Original post by anabel.
I look around me, I look at my friends and the people I know, and I just think that personality is disappearing, it seems like there's no such a thing like personality anymore, or that it is being repressed.

Everyone likes the same music, everyone likes to party the same way, everyone wears the same clothes, everyone enjoys the same movies and books and, what's more, they would leave you if you dared to like something different.

Where can I find different people who actually think, who like to look for new stuff that helps them to learn about the world their surrounded by?

I don't think personality exists to the extent or the extent of its impact it did 20 years ago but I don't think its disappeared

Quick Reply

Latest