The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm getting dumber 🤢

and i don't know how to stop my own downfall
(edited 5 years ago)
like i don't know how to study. I just don't know how to put in the effort it'f like i have no ambitions or motivation or any other basic human emotion rip
it'f is for the elites

thanks m8 but my remaining brain cell refuses to cooperate
Reply 3
Dude you got amazing grades for GCSEs, surely it shouldn't be that different from where you are now right?

I do feel like I am failing worst every single passing day during cranky times. Maybe just sitting down on your study desk or setting somewhere to study where your parents/guardians can see you would help a lot. It did for me :K:

Or maybe you just need to rest and take some break off.
Original post by wifd149
Dude you got amazing grades for GCSEs, surely it shouldn't be that different from where you are now right?

I do feel like I am failing worst every single passing day during cranky times. Maybe just sitting down on your study desk or setting somewhere to study where your parents/guardians can see you would help a lot. It did for me :K:

Or maybe you just need to rest and take some break off.

but it is. We honestly didn't do much in gcses apart from pissing around, so when it came to a levels which requires some serious elbow grease, I ended up getting metaphorically fisted. Not very pleasant but i guess i had it coming.

That's a good idea :K: i'm always tempted to go on twitter etc when i'm by myself or in my room

i've wasted most of my summer m8 i can't take any breaks off :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by immigrant #963
but it is. We honestly didn't do much in gcses apart from pissing around, so when it came to a levels which requires some serious elbow grease, I ended up getting metaphorically fisted. Not very pleasant but i guess i had it coming.

That's a good idea :K: i'm always tempted to go on twitter etc when i'm by myself or in my room

i've wasted most of my summer m8 i can't take any breaks off :rofl:

Hopefully, you'll do well :smile: It takes a lot of practice (and I still procrastinate by sleeping and napping :colone:)
Reply 6
Original post by immigrant #963
and i don't know how to stop my own downfall

I suspect that what it is, is that you are getting older. Quite young people, barely out of their teens, think that they know everything, that all decisions are easy, and that anyone over 30 should be shot, because - obviously they cannot think, because they can't immediately see what is obvious to a 16 or 17 yr old.

The term "sophomore" means 'wise fool'. There is some basis for that observation. As you get older, you learn that most decisions are NOT obvious, and that there are nearly always unexpected consequences to any decision you take - with the related law or regulation changes. Another quotable quote is that "you have to know something, to know how little you know". There is truth to that too.

An example of 'unintended consequences' comes from the 'great society' of Lyndon Johnson. The "Health, Education, and Welfare" peeps from that time, came up with the 'aid to dependent children' program. One of the main features of that pgm, was that they increased the welfare payments to women who were running a household with dependent children in it, and with no man present in the houselhold. Paying absolutely no attention to the dynamics of minority society here, they passed this into law. The nearly immediate result was that women were incentivised to drive any man they were living with away. The man nearly always wasn't working anyway - so his contribution to the household income was 0 or nearly so. He often was 'sleeping around', and was also often abusive. By getting him out of the house, she cut her expenses, increased her income, and cut the abuse. What's not to like?? As a result, she would often produce 6 or 8 children, each by a different male, with no resident male to cut her welfare payment. This put the US Federal government in the position of effectively subsidizing illegitimacy. The children living in such a household, were shown a society where no males were gainfully employed, and all households were run and supported by women. The only male role models they saw were the local drug dealers. Guess what 'family business' they decided to go into??? Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
I suspect that what it is, is that you are getting older. Quite young people, barely out of their teens, think that they know everything, that all decisions are easy, and that anyone over 30 should be shot, because - obviously they cannot think, because they can't immediately see what is obvious to a 16 or 17 yr old.

The term "sophomore" means 'wise fool'. There is some basis for that observation. As you get older, you learn that most decisions are NOT obvious, and that there are nearly always unexpected consequences to any decision you take - with the related law or regulation changes. Another quotable quote is that "you have to know something, to know how little you know". There is truth to that too.

An example of 'unintended consequences' comes from the 'great society' of Lyndon Johnson. The "Health, Education, and Welfare" peeps from that time, came up with the 'aid to dependent children' program. One of the main features of that pgm, was that they increased the welfare payments to women who were running a household with dependent children in it, and with no man present in the houselhold. Paying absolutely no attention to the dynamics of minority society here, they passed this into law. The nearly immediate result was that women were incentivised to drive any man they were living with away. The man nearly always wasn't working anyway - so his contribution to the household income was 0 or nearly so. He often was 'sleeping around', and was also often abusive. By getting him out of the house, she cut her expenses, increased her income, and cut the abuse. What's not to like?? As a result, she would often produce 6 or 8 children, each by a different male, with no resident male to cut her welfare payment. This put the US Federal government in the position of effectively subsidizing illegitimacy. The children living in such a household, were shown a society where no males were gainfully employed, and all households were run and supported by women. The only male role models they saw were the local drug dealers. Guess what 'family business' they decided to go into??? Cheers.

it....it's not that deep

Quick Reply