Chompkin13
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hiee.

Guys is anyone good at Energetics, im having a problem working out Born-Harber cycle problems and this is challenge that i just cant let go, i have exams this year November.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
moving to chemistry forum
SomMC1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-TP...WKGgjNdJrv1iln

Heya, im doing IB too. I think youre doing it bc it's in the tag. I do SL and I use these YT videos for all my revision related to chem - I got a 7 predicted so clearly it must work. USe that and see how it goes. Good luck of course!
Nettled
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Which question do you need help with?
Chompkin13
Rep:
(Original post by SomMC1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-TP...WKGgjNdJrv1iln

Heya, im doing IB too. I think youre doing it bc it's in the tag. I do SL and I use these YT videos for all my revision related to chem - I got a 7 predicted so clearly it must work. USe that and see how it goes. Good luck of course!

Thanks a whole lot im sure it will be of great help. Let me check it out right now!
SomMC1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chompkin13)
Thanks a whole lot im sure it will be of great help. Let me check it out right now!
Those videos are lifesavers. You should definitely study using them. Specifically made with the IB syllabus. Have the chem IB syllabus on one side, the video on other and make written notes. Perfection. It works.
Chompkin13
Rep:
(Original post by Nettled)
Which question do you need help with?
Thanks , please ignore the format, was trying to copy it as it appears lol,.

Methanol is made in large quantities as it is used in the production of polymers and in fuels. The enthalpy of combustion of methanol can be determined theoretically or experimentally. CH3OH(l) + 1 O2(g) → CO2(g) + 2H2O(g) (a) Using the information from Table 10 of the Data Booklet, determine the theoretical enthalpy of combustion of methanol. ...................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................... ......................................................................................................................................
(3) (b) The enthalpy of combustion of methanol can also be determined experimentally in a school laboratory. A burner containing methanol was weighed and used to heat water in a test tube as illustrated below. The following data were collected. Initial mass of burner and methanol / g 80.557 Final mass of burner and methanol / g 80.034 Mass of water in test tube / g 20.000 Initial temperature of water / °C 21.5 Final temperature of water / °C 26.4 (i) Calculate the amount, in mol, of methanol burned. ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................
(2) (ii) Calculate the heat absorbed, in kJ, by the water. ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ................................................................................................
(3) (iii) Determine the enthalpy change, in kJ mol–1, for the combustion of 1 mole of methanol. ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................
(2) (c) The Data Booklet value for the enthalpy of combustion of methanol is –726 kJ mol–1.
Suggest why this value differs from the values calculated in parts (a) and (b)
. (i) Part (a) ........................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................
(1) (ii) Part (b) ........................................................................................................................... ...........................................................................................................................
(1) (Total 12 marks)
Chompkin13
Rep:
Those videos are lifesavers. You should definitely study using them. Specifically made with the IB syllabus. Have the chem IB syllabus on one side, the video on other and make written notes. Perfection. It works.
Cool, when i get a 7 i will get back to say thanks to you! I'm lowkey starting to feel swarmed with work pressure, as if i hadnt been studying this whole time, but, im sure i will get through it! Good luck to u too.
SomMC1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Cool, when i get a 7 i will get back to say thanks to you! I'm lowkey starting to feel swarmed with work pressure, as if i hadnt been studying this whole time, but, im sure i will get through it! Good luck to u too.
I assume you're entering Y13 in September?
You still got over 3 weeks to get ready before summer officially ends. Plenty of time to catch up on work and be ready for year 13.

Start a GYG (Grow your grades) on here. I've started mine yesterday and I already feel better bc I get to interact with a lot of people doing their gcse, A level and IB and we get to support each other. It's real fun
Nettled
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Which part of the question are you stuck on? Part a needs the enthalpy numbers from the table. As for part b it's a q=mc^t question. Make sure you use the mass of the solution and not the mass of methanol.
Chompkin13
Rep:
I assume you're entering Y13 in September?
You still got over 3 weeks to get ready before summer officially ends. Plenty of time to catch up on work and be ready for year 13.

Start a GYG (Grow your grades) on here. I've started mine yesterday and I already feel better bc I get to interact with a lot of people doing their gcse, A level and IB and we get to support each other. It's real fun
'

yup im Y13. lol yeah i think i still have a bit of time for real.
Kay lemme join the GYG forum too.
Chompkin13
Rep:
(Original post by Nettled)
Which part of the question are you stuck on? Part a needs the enthalpy numbers from the table. As for part b it's a q=mc^t question. Make sure you use the mass of the solution and not the mass of methanol.
Okay, everything else is okay-ish, however, my problem is on which enthalpy energies to add and which i should subtract, i always lose those three mark questions on calculating the enthalpy changes, do u have any tips on that?

So maybe 1(a)
Nettled
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Okay, everything else is okay-ish, however, my problem is on which enthalpy energies to add and which i should subtract, i always lose those three mark questions on calculating the enthalpy changes, do u have any tips on that?

So maybe 1(a)
Most people draw a hess cycle to help them figure it out.

I tend to just remember the equation and substitute the values in. The table you have should have enthalpy of formation values so then it would be products-reactant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads