The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marupe
not how it works dude

Well, obviously it isn't as simple as that, but what it means is that people aren't just getting in because they're the kind of person who would, which indicates some form of widening participation.

20 years ago, Oxbridge was closed off to anyone except people like her, just because they were the right sort. Today, while it still isn't ideal, people from other backgrounds are beginning to break through. I know that one from my own experience.
I wouldn't say I hated her I just find Eve Bannet more relatable. but I know what you mean
Reply 42
Original post by vicvic38
Well, obviously it isn't as simple as that, but what it means is that people aren't just getting in because they're the kind of person who would, which indicates some form of widening participation.

20 years ago, Oxbridge was closed off to anyone except people like her, just because they were the right sort. Today, while it still isn't ideal, people from other backgrounds are beginning to break through. I know that one from my own experience.

I see what you mean now, but still: it doesn't indicate widening participation, it means they focus solely on academic ability and suitability for the course. She didn't not get in because someone else who is from widening participation did get in which is what is what was implied/inferred from your post.

(widening participation is about getting BME, low income, first gen to apply, not about getting Oxford/any uni to accept more BME)

The right kind of person type thinking is outdated, and unless someone was paying a lot of money for a seat then it hasn't been used in a while. Her type only gets in because she is overly prepared- her family will know about university and the application process, probably a good school which can prepare her for interviews, studious friends. Not because she is white or middle class.

So do I. if you look at the statistics, POC and state schoolers aren't underrepresented in relation to how many apply and get the grades. I'm not saying Oxford is perfect, but it gets a lot of flack for no reason

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-students/current/ethnicity?wssl=1
Original post by riannon2001
I'm sorry, but just because someone may be middle class ( I have no idea about her parents incomes) doesn't mean they don't deserve to get into a top uni. You deserve to get in if you fit the atmosphere and have the grades - Jade doesn't go to a grammar or independent school, she goes to a state school, so by my token she's worked for everything she has academically.

Bottom line: if you work hard, you can pretty much do anything.

She goes to one of the best state schools in her area. I’ve been to both a state school / secondary modern and a grammar school and I’ve realised in secondary modern the teachers hold your hand the whole way through GCSE’s or A levels (especially A levels my friends who stayed at the secondary modern get lots of homework, tests and mentoring compared to us at grammar who get no homework, no tests and no help from teachers).

It is better to be at a state school / secondary modern for a levels than a grammar school (really small classes, only people who care about better future are left, get through work faster in state school). I’m so jealous she got to stay at her state school I couldn’t because the timetable guy mixed our timetables up so biology and chemistry over lap
Original post by immigrant #963
Noah fence, I respect her hustle & grind but man is she annoying sometimes. Does anyone else feel the same or am i just a heartless gremlin?

EDIT: idk what it is but some aspects just seem overly fake & forced along with the clickbaity titles for what is honestly underwhelming content. It's just the hype etc. around her seems like too much esp when there's SO many other study youtubers, especially underprivileged ones who are poc and who've come so far yet don't get a 1/3 of the recognition she does. Just seems biased imo. But that's just my personal viewpoint

She really has a grating personality tbh and seems like she loves herself. Don't get why she's so popular.
Reply 45
I see why some people might find her annoying, she is perky and sometimes it feels forced ..but now i see that ever since she graduated she is a much calmer and chill person... dedicating the time for other students and how studying isnt everything, making people feel motivated , i also thought her crying over an exam was silly..but i understand she worked hard .she helped me manage stress these oast few years from igcse into a-lvls ..i like how she. Cares about alot such as all cultures and in one of her videos i remember her mentioning that she was worried to bother the people before results day because it was the time of eid (muslim holiday) and some of her video chats to calm the students before were for students who were from different countries I find her entertaining and gives good advice..and i too didnt like at first how interés she was in school like its everythingBut since she made the podcasts and tgings that show that studying isnt everything and at some point she regrets getting all A* ..i see how nice she is and human Personally i like her her laugh and personality sometimes feel forced but is infectious and cute Damn she also sexy as ****
You seem awfully jealous, to be honest. That oxford comment gave you away.
I find study youtubers in general irrationally vomit inducing
I strongly disagree, I love everything about jade from her personality to her videos! And I think it’s really horrible to go online and announce how you don’t like her? It’s just so unnecessary because she’s never done anything to you so why should you try to make her feel bad? Don’t be such a keyboard warrior and treat others how you would like to be treated!

Latest