How will Brexit affect International trade for the UK?

Watch
Econstudent26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have to write an article on how Brexit will affect International trade for the UK. Does anyone have any tips on what to talk about?
Much appreciated.
BlairPeach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Econstudent26)
I have to write an article on how Brexit will affect International trade for the UK. Does anyone have any tips on what to talk about?
Much appreciated.
I planned a question similar to this in Economics last year. I'll try to remember what I wrote:

First of all I made it clear that no one has every left the EU before: it's impossible to understand clearly the effects of Brexit on the economy. Also, it hugely depends on a hard/soft Brexit? ie are we planing to leave the single market etc.

Then include pros and cons;

May lead to higher important tariffs - increases costs for firms within the UK. Leading to cost push inflation, lower profits, fall in choice, fall in consumer welfare etc. Try and refer to Micro (producer/consumer) and Macro (whole economy)

any more info just message!
15writers
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would start with discussing trade agreements within the EU and outside the EU. Then, I would consider possible scenarios for the UK international trade after brexit: the Norway scenario and Swiss model, for example.
The Financier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Much appreciated.
Aside from the great suggestions above of discussing different 'terms of Brexit', you could look for some academic papers that have been published on it. People will always dispute their utility but they can be great introductions to the current state of wider economic modelling of macroeconomic trade which will show you've done your research and are thinking outside the box of A-Level standard analysis.

To start you off, look up some of the papers based on gravity models (the notion that bilateral trade is most often dominated by economic size and geographical proximity) that were done pre-referendum and evaluate their applicability in certain terms of Brexit.
username4212292
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Much appreciated.
Brexit? International trade? Means we get to recolour the world Imperial Pink

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.9%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
22.58%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (41)
44.09%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.23%

Watched Threads