Clearing the confusion about PGCE and PGDE Watch

K089
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A friend recently completed a Secondary PGCE. But he received a certificate written as PgCE rather than PGCE. This means that he was awarded a level 6 rather than level 7 PGCE. This new practice was only introduced in 2005. He already has a masters in education so was never interested in having extra credits towards a masters,

PGCE itself can be early years (0-5), primary (3-11), secondary (11-18) and post compulsory (14+ years or life long learning). From 2005 PGCE split into level 6 (professional) and level 7 (postgraduate). There is no difference between the level 6 or 7 other than the level 7 having extra credits for those who wish to pursue a masters in the future.

To make things even more complex they recently introduced PGDE which has more master credits than the level 7 PGCE. But many employers do not recognize PGDE and would insist on PGCE. I think only Scotland recognizes PGDE.

For those who are interested in teaching make sure that you get PGCE not PDGE. Because PGCE is a famous brand that is recognized both nationally and internationally by employers. Despite the PDGE having more master credits it is not really valued by employers the way PGCE is.

The bottom line is that there are many types of programmes towards teaching. Therefore one has to be careful. With schools direct salaried people only gain QTS but no PGCE. But with schools direct tuition fee they get QTS and PGCE.

With the two year programme Teach First they get QTS but PGDE rather than PGCE People who do the post compulsory PGCE can latter apply for QTLS through SET if they desire to work in either secondary or primary schools. Because of changes in the law in 2014, QTLS is now equivalent to QTS. Meaning that college teachers can now work in secondary or primary.

I hope I cleared up some of the confusion.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by K089)
This seems to cover it more accurately

https://www.findamasters.com/advice/...gce-guide.aspx
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As someone with a PGDE, I fear you have added to the confusion. To say it's not recognized is going to scare people who are on the course and only put people off taking it. If an employer does not know what a PGDE is, then all you have to say is "I did all the teaching and written work associated with the PGCE, however, I took further modules"... That's it!

No one on my course struggled to get a job with the PGDE, and in my personal experience, it has been a massive benefit.
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In Scotland, a PGDE is the main teaching qualification offered. They give the same experience as a PGCE and many teachers originally from Scotland would have a PGDE. Most headteachers would know about this.

Really, the only advantage a PGCE has over QTS only programs is that you can teach abroad. However, if someone only plans to stay in the UK to teach, then really it makes no difference whether they have a PGCE or not.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest with you, schools dont even really look at a PGCE, PGDE etc, they look to see if you have QTS. (if you stay in the UK).

I know someone that didnt want to do the essays so just graduated with QTS and has not had any issues.
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
QTS is what actually matters - everything else is just academic credits. Just make sure that you achieve QTS upon completion and you're all good.

I had the option of PGDE (bonus masters credits) or PGCE or a a variety of other courses - diplomas, certificates etc for those exiting earlier which will probably not attract enough of a grounding in education to achieve QTS.

PGDEs are absolutely recognised just as much as PGCEs. In fact, your school is more likely to fund your upgrade to masters because they'll be funding fewer credits. PGDEs means that more of your credits are included in study year so you'll pay less if you self fund. If you have the option to study for a PGDE and you intend to complete your masters then definitely go for it!
walker1966
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have been told that as I have completed my first year of a part time PGCE, I have to decide if I wish to pursue the masters route or not, i.e. in the second year work to level 7 to get masters credits or just continue level 6. This in itself is not a problem, but the stinger is that our tutor says that if I choose the masters option and fail, I come away with no PCGE at all. This seems ridiculous. Can anyone confirm this?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by walker1966)
I have been told that as I have completed my first year of a part time PGCE, I have to decide if I wish to pursue the masters route or not, i.e. in the second year work to level 7 to get masters credits or just continue level 6. This in itself is not a problem, but the stinger is that our tutor says that if I choose the masters option and fail, I come away with no PCGE at all. This seems ridiculous. Can anyone confirm this?
I think it's probably best to go back to your tutor for clarity on this, but I think what he's saying is that the uni doesn't have the facility to downgrade your masters element from PGCE to, say, a level 6 diploma, or similar. If I'm correct, you could still come away with QTS, but no additional qualification- whereas if you stay on the level 6 route, you'd get some form of additional qualification.

I'd confirm this with your tutor though.

If you're interested in the PGCE route, I think it's probably worth the risk. I know my uni was very generous about giving people extensions and chances to resubmit- even allowing them to resubmit again over the summer. And, in general, things were marked reasonably generously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%