The Student Room Group

Corbyn wreath laying scandal thoughts?

Thoughts on this?
Why dont you tell people what your thoughts and opinions are? Then they have something to respond to.
At work my employer called me in to ask if I’d done something I shouldn’t have (which I did) and I did the time honed tradition of just appearing like a complete moron and being like ‘oh I can’t remember’ or ‘I don’t know’

I think Corbyn does the same thing when he gets pulled up on stuff like this.

The guys either some kooky crackpot leftist who is an actual fierce anti Semite

Or he is an idiot of truly stunning proportions

Either way suits me fine 👍🏻😂
Original post by Davij038
At work my employer called me in to ask if I’d done something I shouldn’t have (which I did) and I did the time honed tradition of just appearing like a complete moron and being like ‘oh I can’t remember’ or ‘I don’t know’

Not sure what makes you think he's a raging anti-semite, but ok.

But yeah, even as someone who does quite like ol' Jezza, I do admit this whole thing has left a rather tinny taste in the mouth. I want him to clear up what on earth happened. Why did he think he was laying a wreath for the victims when he clearly was not at that memorial?

He has always been vocal about his anti-terror position, but this does make me question him. I can get wanting to talk to the provisional IRA and whatever, but this seems just off.

Like if he wants to say that Israel is wrong, just bloody say it, don't dance about it.
He's an idealist who has over many years always played the rebel. He believes in his causes, and cannot accept that anything he has ever done is wrong - which is why he doesn't really try to hide what he has done, but tends to not comment (himself) when these things come to light. When he's pressed or interviewed on them, he always shows irritation or annoyance as he can't actually understand what the problem is. He believes in worldwide Marxist revolution and believes that everyone else either (a) should also believe in it, or (b) must be an evil American/Zionist.
Original post by vicvic38
Not sure what makes you think he's a raging anti-semite, but ok.

But yeah, even as someone who does quite like ol' Jezza, I do admit this whole thing has left a rather tinny taste in the mouth. I want him to clear up what on earth happened. Why did he think he was laying a wreath for the victims when he clearly was not at that memorial?

He has always been vocal about his anti-terror position, but this does make me question him. I can get wanting to talk to the provisional IRA and whatever, but this seems just off.

Like if he wants to say that Israel is wrong, just bloody say it, don't dance about it.

I think the sheer amount of incidents plus the acquaintances he’s made with anti semites etc point to something not being quite right and going beyond mere criticism of Israel
Reply 6

Didn't realise this was an article about Boris Johnson.
Original post by Vinny C
Didn't realise this was an article about Boris Johnson.

Oh Boris Johnson is definitely not an idiot, and the stuff he does and says is deliberate with the aim of getting him power and popularity.

He might be the best hope the populist right has if getting power, whetgervthsts s good thing or not is another matter- the guy’s unreliable and lazy, eg he’s willing to acknowledge that the burqa is problematic but can’t be bothered to do anything. That’s a good first step and better than anything currently on offer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Oh Boris Johnson is definitely not an idiot, and the stuff he does and says is deliberate with the aim of getting him power and popularity.

He might be the best hope the populist right has if getting power, whetgervthsts s good thing or not is another matter- the guy’s unreliable and lazy, eg he’s willing to acknowledge that the burqa is problematic but can’t be bothered to do anything. That’s a good first step and better than anything currently on offer.

Sad but true, the only thing Boris is interested in is Boris. Pity about the rest of the UK.
I think the sheer amount of incidents plus the acquaintances he’s made with anti semites etc point to something not being quite right and going beyond mere criticism of Israel

Well, I think it rather difficult for anyone over a certain age to not have plenty of antisemitic acquaintances. World War two didn't wipe all the bigots off the face of the earth, it just made people in new Jewish areas uneasy, and the intellectuals in denial about their own antisemitism.

I think there's a distinction to be made here as well. I would hardly call Jeremy a hardcore antisemite, who believes in the superiority of the white race and the extermination of the Jewish people. I would also be hesitant to even call him a mild antisemite. He appears to treat people equally, and I've not seen, really, any behavior that would formally out him as one.

That said, I also don't think he isn't one. If it weren't for him being a politician, I would find his continual focus on Israel to be quite suspect. In fact, I think that anyone who is invested in that conflict who does not have some real reason to be is perhaps in denial about why they care so much. Him being a politician and all does give him some reason, but I wouldn't rule out a general unconscious bias against the Jewish people.

But, that's par for the course when you're what, like almost 70? He's doing well for a man of his age, just to be as progressive and proactive as he is.
Original post by Vinny C
Sad but true, the only thing Boris is interested in is Boris. Pity about the rest of the UK.

I think it may be a good thing in this current climate, because if people only care about being popular they’ll do the sort of things which others won’t (for both good and bad reasons) . I think if politicians had been more focussed on what was actually popular than the most pragmatic or compromising, we would be in a better state of affairs.
I think it may be a good thing in this current climate, because if people only care about being popular they’ll do the sort of things which others won’t (for both good and bad reasons) . I think if politicians had been more focussed on what was actually popular than the most pragmatic or compromising, we would be in a better state of affairs.

Like hoping to line his pockets for the next 20 yrs using the catchphrase 'If only you had listened to me'. Was a wonderful plan until...
Original post by Vinny C
Like hoping to line his pockets for the next 20 yrs using the catchphrase 'If only you had listened to me'. Was a wonderful plan until...

Ay, well non populists. Line their pockets pretty well too- maybe even more so
BE87A513-7AA7-4AC1-A1D0-7DD3415D6B3C.jpeg
Ay, well non populists. Line their pockets pretty well too- maybe even more so
BE87A513-7AA7-4AC1-A1D0-7DD3415D6B3C.jpeg

At least Tump believes he's acting in America's best interests.
Original post by Vinny C
At least Tump believes he's acting in America's best interests.

Yeah I agree, and I think he’s doing well
I think that Labour moderates realised the anti-Semite nonsense was getting a little tiring and wasn't having the neccesary effect two they have changed back calling Corbyn a terrorist sympathizer.

Quick Reply

Latest