The Student Room Group

Weird trend in the results at my school

As far as I know only like 4-5 people got an A in CIE AS Physics (9702), Don't know anyone with a B and the majority of the batch got a C. I think we have around 40 candidates and I was wondering whether or not any of you guys have seen a similar trend?

side note: Even most people with A - Bs in the last mock came down to a C somehow
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by boot2big
As far as I know only like 4-5 people got an A in CIE AS Physics (9702), Don't know anyone with a B and the majority of the batch got a C. I think we have around 40 candidates and I was wondering whether or not any of you guys have seen a similar trend?

side note: Even most people with A - Bs in the last mock came down to a C somehow

I don't know about how other candidates performed in that exam, but it could be that your class did better in the mock than the final exam because the mock exam was set too easy by the teacher. Certain schools/colleges usually perform better than others with various factors influencing this, and within schools/colleges, there are often some subjects (or classes) where students do/don't perform well overall.
Reply 2
Original post by Labrador99
I don't know about how other candidates performed in that exam, but it could be that your class did better in the mock than the final exam because the mock exam was set too easy by the teacher. Certain schools/colleges usually perform better than others with various factors influencing this, and within schools/colleges, there are often some subjects (or classes) where students do/don't perform well overall.

hm I thought that too but then the weird thing was that even students who got a C or a D in the mocks ended up with a C in the exam. If the mock were easer i would expect to consistently see people get lower grades than they did in mocks right?
Original post by boot2big
hm I thought that too but then the weird thing was that even students who got a C or a D in the mocks ended up with a C in the exam. If the mock were easer i would expect to consistently see people get lower grades than they did in mocks right?

It could just be they worked hard and improved for the final exam, while those who did well in mocks rested on their laurels a bit by comparison...It's difficult to make generalisations about this though, as obviously each student does differently/has a different path, and there are a lot of factors at play.
Reply 4
Original post by Labrador99
It could just be they worked hard and improved for the final exam, while those who did well in mocks rested on their laurels a bit by comparison...It's difficult to make generalisations about this though, as obviously each student does differently/has a different path, and there are a lot of factors at play.

I agree. It wouldn't be right to generalize and assume that there's any meaning behind the trend if even exists without all of the information which sadly isn't available to us :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest