The Student Room Group

Best A-Levels to take?

I'm certain I want to go into finance/economics so I'm wondering what the most ideal combination of A-levels would be. My degree would be in finance/economics or maths and I'm thinking of taking Maths, Physics and either further maths, chemistry or economics. I would take economics but I feel as though I wouldn't enjoy revising for it as I hate writing essays and planning exam technique such as write 2 points etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PotatoSpud64
I'm certain I want to go into finance/economics so I'm wondering what the most ideal combination of A-levels would be. My degree would be in finance/economics or maths and I'm thinking of taking Maths, Physics and either further maths, chemistry or economics. I would take economics but I feel as though I wouldn't enjoy revising for it as I hate writing essays and planning exam technique such as write 2 points etc. Any help would be appreciated.

If you want to do Economics why not take it? It's an interesting subject if you can learn to deal with the written exams
Original post by BlairPeach
If you want to do Economics why not take it? It's an interesting subject if you can learn to deal with the written exams

It's just I feel as though a subject like further maths would be more beneficial for getting me into a degree or career. Wouldn't you agree?
It's just I feel as though a subject like further maths would be more beneficial for getting me into a degree or career. Wouldn't you agree?

Well if you want a career in economics why not? i assume you'll be doing a degree in economics at uni? If so it'll be the same stuff: writing essays etc. May aswell get used to it now
Maths Physics Economics (and further maths to AS and drop it if you can't handle it)
Well if you want a career in economics why not? i assume you'll be doing a degree in economics at uni? If so it'll be the same stuff: writing essays etc. May aswell get used to it now

Yeh, I agree with you there, but from what I've heard economics isn't necessary for any degrees whereas further maths can be extremely helpful in gaining a place if there is lots of competition with either a maths or economics degree.
None. Run away from A levels and never come back. You'll have me to thank for your mental health.
Yeh, I agree with you there, but from what I've heard economics isn't necessary for any degrees whereas further maths can be extremely helpful in gaining a place if there is lots of competition with either a maths or economics degree.

Perhaps Maths, Further Maths and Economics? Do you want to do Physics? I feel like as long as you do well in Maths and Economics you'll be Ok
Reply 8
An economics degree is unlikely to require A-level economics (since they don't want to disadvantage applicants whose schools don't offer it), but a maths degree may well require or at least highly recommend further maths, so personally I would recommend taking FM if you want to keep your options as open as possible.
I was in pretty much the same position as you. I hated writing essays. My school let you take 4 A-Levels, so I chose maths, further maths, physics and economics. I got a good grade in my economics AS level, but it was too stressful, so I dropped it after year 12. I would recommend doing the same as I did, or (if you can only pick three) do maths , further, physics
definitely further maths over economics
Original post by mehmehmeh01
I was in pretty much the same position as you. I hated writing essays. My school let you take 4 A-Levels, so I chose maths, further maths, physics and economics. I got a good grade in my economics AS level, but it was too stressful, so I dropped it after year 12. I would recommend doing the same as I did, or (if you can only pick three) do maths , further, physics

Hmm that's very insightful, are you doing a degree now and if so did economics even help at all? Or is simply just to get you familiar with the basic economic principles. Also how difficult is further maths?
(edited 5 years ago)
Perhaps Maths, Further Maths and Economics? Do you want to do Physics? I feel like as long as you do well in Maths and Economics you'll be Ok

Yeh I like physics and it would keep my options open, it might be better to drop it for economics however. I'm just really not sure I'll enjoy it and I can always research economics in my free time to give me that advantage come uni application.
Yeh I like physics and it would keep my options open, it might be better to drop it for economics however. I'm just really not sure I'll enjoy it and I can always research economics in my free time to give me that advantage come uni application.

It is your decision but I feel like the majority of people applying with have an A level in Economics so it may work against you
It is your decision but I feel like the majority of people applying with have an A level in Economics so it may work against you

I'll definitely contemplate it, there's no reason I should take chemistry right? I'm interested in it just as much as the others but it's definitely not as beneficial as physics or further maths.
I'll definitely contemplate it, there's no reason I should take chemistry right? I'm interested in it just as much as the others but it's definitely not as beneficial as physics or further maths.

In my opinion Maths and Economics, the third is up to you. Perhaps take Physics/Economics at AS as a 4th subject and drop it?
In my opinion Maths and Economics, the third is up to you. Perhaps take Physics/Economics at AS as a 4th subject and drop it?

There's only A levels at my school. I'll just have to choose 3 out of Maths, further maths, physics and economics.
Hey, I study A level Economics at the moment and i do think there is a big mix of questions that come up, it can vary from 1 markers to essay type questions but I think that if you want to go into a finance based course in the future, you should consider A level economics because the trips and talks you may receive can all relate to that course as the economics syllabus itself. Other courses that may help would definitely be maths(i do wish i had taken this instead of law) and if possible a language would be good because employers as well as uni's would be keen to take someone on who knows another language. There would be an opportunity to study abroad as well as work abroad. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by zapdacap
Hey, I study A level Economics at the moment and i do think there is a big mix of questions that come up, it can vary from 1 markers to essay type questions but I think that if you want to go into a finance based course in the future, you should consider A level economics because the trips and talks you may receive can all relate to that course as the economics syllabus itself. Other courses that may help would definitely be maths(i do wish i had taken this instead of law) and if possible a language would be good because employers as well as uni's would be keen to take someone on who knows another language. There would be an opportunity to study abroad as well as work abroad. Hope this helps :smile:

I definitely won't be taking a language aha, I am awful at that kinda stuff. Just a couple questions about economics, Is it similar to say English or business gcse in the sense of 12+ markers where it is a certain technique and you just have to find points from the text and analyse them? And also is it difficult or is it simply just putting the effort in rather than too complex to understand?
I definitely won't be taking a language aha, I am awful at that kinda stuff. Just a couple questions about economics, Is it similar to say English or business gcse in the sense of 12+ markers where it is a certain technique and you just have to find points from the text and analyse them? And also is it difficult or is it simply just putting the effort in rather than too complex to understand?

You do get 12 markers but the actual way to answer is just remembering the content and comparing etc using the knowledge you have. Well the actual content isn't too hard to understand but it's like you said you have to put the effort in to remember it.

Quick Reply

Latest