Turn on thread page Beta

I’m an outcast black person in my year watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I have black friends, right? In fact, my best friends are black. And it was all good until my friends starting mixing with the other black kids in our year. The ones that carry around knives, smoke, shag each other and everything, party till 3 am and get drunk. My best friend just seemed to click with them and they all love her now (even though this time 2 years ago, they all said they hated her and I was the only who would stand up for her). I didn’t mind at first and took no notice.

But when time went on, I started realising that I was much different to all the black kids in my year.

I don’t listen to grime and I’ve been made fun of for that, even by my friends. I’ve tried forcing myself to listen to it but I can’t stand it tbh and they’d say I have no taste in music.

When I’m alone with my friends, they always come up to us and flat out ignore me. I pretend I don’t care but considering I really don’t have many, it’s kinda annoying. None of them like me and even though I don’t admit it, I really want to be liked by them because my friends are. Like, my only friends. They go to huge parties and are seen as really cool people. Meanwhile, me, my awkward weird a-s self is just there.

I don’t listen to grime or rap, use slang, take mirror selfies with my butt sticking out, go to huge parties (because no one would want me there), have huge followings or am I popular. And the truth is, I don’t want to change myself to fit in with the other black kids, but I’m sick of being left behind. Do I really have to change myself? Being myself and being black shouldn’t be a problem tbh but I am sad that I feel like it is.

Cba to post anonymously.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to friends, family and work

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if you're hanging out with the black kids? Hang out with like-minded people, irrespective or colour or creed.

ReputationRep:
    No one really knows you so you don’t have to care anyways about anonymity. Anyways, i am the same as you, dont listen to grime and stuff and im also black. Your race has nothing to do with this, grime is liked by all races. Get better friends.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Moved to friends, family and work
    Man, I love it when people say they moved my thread, it makes all my problems go away. It's so helpful that you might as well close my thread as I have my problems solved thanks to the thread being moved. Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Man, I love it when people say they moved my thread, it makes all my problems go away. It's so helpful that you might as well close my thread as I have my problems solved thanks to the thread being moved. Thanks!
    I'm just helping keep TSR tidier and helping you get more responses by placing your thread in the right forum. No need to be rude to the people helping keep this site working

ReputationRep:
    I get the whole race thing but for real you need to find people on your wavelength. You don’t need to hang out with people who frankly seem to be nothing but rude and catty towards you. I know its gonna be hard but make new friends REGARDLESS of race who actually have the same values/hobbies whatever as you. Trust me I vibe with more people outside of my race round these ends than I do with my own people sometimes
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I'm just helping keep TSR tidier and helping you get more responses by placing your thread in the right forum. No need to be rude to the people helping keep this site working
    Whatcha mean? I was being serious
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Whatcha mean? I was being serious
    ...and rude. No need for it! Be grateful I'm helping you get more responses to your problem.

ReputationRep:
    Do you go to school in London?

ReputationRep:
    I feel you.

You know them Muslims who say their Muslims and ask if the Haribos are halal but later on at the party they are smoking a joint with Chloe and waving Ciroc bottles drunk for their sc story?

Welcome to my former best friends.

Honestly I just made friends with white people. It's a lot harder as there is less to relate too, and i'm pretty sure at least a 1/3 are closet racists, but ignorance is bliss and we have had good memories together.

My version of advice, more of a rant
    Spoiler:
    Show

In the end of the day, it's them ones there that jump on the trends, stick their butt out and do anything for the gram, them ones there that have grime stars as their role models and buy fake stone island just gain approval of people that don't care about them, them ones there that put the same sc story "trust nobody" every day then go on to call everyone a snake- you know it's them ones that never do become successful and always live the same miserable lives working 9-5 for months just to get that £1000 chain to flex. There not living a life. They are living a lie.

**** them ones. Focus on yourself dw, you may not fit into with them ones that jump on the trend but it just means you have the rest of the millions of types of people to make friends with. In fact, it may be better for you that your friends left you for that life. This way you meet real people and people that truly care for you; real best friends that aren't selfish and enjoy your company rather than stay with you for the sake of having company and the avoidance of lonlinesssssss

ReputationRep:
    So you don't like Afrobeats? Tbh i'm abit the same i'm more open minded sometimes as black people we always think we have to stick to each other when it's okay to branch out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Do you go to school in London?
    Is it obvious?

(Original post by ItsTomii)
    Is it obvious?
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Is it obvious?
    Yeah, I go to school just outside the city and I'm the only black person in my entire year
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    So you don't like Afrobeats? Tbh i'm abit the same i'm more open minded sometimes as black people we always think we have to stick to each other when it's okay to branch out.
    I don’t mind it but for some reason, not actively listening to it makes me lesser than everyone lmaoo

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm new to this forum but I have to answer you. I was you! Is there a private message feature?

So, I have black friends, right? In fact, my best friends are black. And it was all good until my friends starting mixing with the other black kids in our year. The ones that carry around knives, smoke, shag each other and everything, party till 3 am and get drunk. My best friend just seemed to click with them and they all love her now (even though this time 2 years ago, they all said they hated her and I was the only who would stand up for her). I didn’t mind at first and took no notice.

But when time went on, I started realising that I was much different to all the black kids in my year.

I don’t listen to grime and I’ve been made fun of for that, even by my friends. I’ve tried forcing myself to listen to it but I can’t stand it tbh and they’d say I have no taste in music.

When I’m alone with my friends, they always come up to us and flat out ignore me. I pretend I don’t care but considering I really don’t have many, it’s kinda annoying. None of them like me and even though I don’t admit it, I really want to be liked by them because my friends are. Like, my only friends. They go to huge parties and are seen as really cool people. Meanwhile, me, my awkward weird a-s self is just there.

I don’t listen to grime or rap, use slang, take mirror selfies with my butt sticking out, go to huge parties (because no one would want me there), have huge followings or am I popular. And the truth is, I don’t want to change myself to fit in with the other black kids, but I’m sick of being left behind. Do I really have to change myself? Being myself and being black shouldn’t be a problem tbh but I am sad that I feel like it is.

Cba to post anonymously.
    Hi I just wanted to say the only person you need to hold onto in life is yourself. It's always a rude awakening when you get to a stage in your life and realise you are not like the crowd. There are few things you can do: be miserable, fold yourself into the mould set by the rest (which it feels awful & unnatural and will not get you accepted anyhow) or BE YOU. What I'm saying in a nutshell is that some of us were not made to fit in with a crowd of people who seem outwardly cool but in actual fact are all insecure and narrow minded about the fact people who are different to them have a right to exist! Like you I was that awkward Black girl. I didn't know the right dances of the moment, my style was different, I talked different...and I knew all about that ridicule and alienation you talk of. I wish I could have told my younger self to embrace myself for being exactly who I was made to be instead of letting meaningless people scorn me. Guess who turned out to be strong as F, in a dream career, enjoying her authentic life and glad she learned how to like herself and stop compromising herself? Not to say there haven't been any bumps along the way and even lonely times, but that goes for everyone. Embrace yourself, like yourself and find out your purpose, your type of people, your type of look. None of these other people are paying your rent and I bet when the cool phase ends you will be shocked at how people come out at the other end of this car wash called Life.

Cba to post anonymously.
    Don't change yourself for other people, especially if they aren't doing good things. You will just get yourself in trouble. Find other people you have stuff in common with

I did answer you but for some reason the message is still being 'moderated'. Anyway you have had some really good advice on here so far. Can't emphasise enough that moving with the crowd is not everything. Reach out to people you resonate with, no matter where they're from. The world is a big place.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.