The Student Room Group

How do you make meaningful conversation and not just chat s**t?

Before I start, this isn't any sort of "help me come out my shell, I'm an introvert" type thread. I have no problems at all speaking to people and girls.

It's more the quality of my conversation. I frequently get told I chat a load of poo. Like it's all "funny" but there's no substance to be really seen as one of the leaders of the group I'm in. Just the clown/joker type person who does silly stuff.

How do I shift my conversations to be good and make me more dominant in social settings and less that people think I just say rubbish?
Original post by Anonymous
Before I start, this isn't any sort of "help me come out my shell, I'm an introvert" type thread. I have no problems at all speaking to people and girls.

It's more the quality of my conversation. I frequently get told I chat a load of poo. Like it's all "funny" but there's no substance to be really seen as one of the leaders of the group I'm in. Just the clown/joker type person who does silly stuff.

How do I shift my conversations to be good and make me more dominant in social settings and less that people think I just say rubbish?

There’s nothing wrong with being the joker. There may just be nothing important to say. Just bring up like deep questions or something-it’s not that deep tbh.
Just find a common interest, no matter how silly. Eventually it will just get natural
Reply 3
chat sh** with meaning 😁
Learn something that's of value to the people around you.

for example, how to read palms.
How to interprete hand-writing.
Maybe one or two basic psycho analysing exercises?

Ask open questions and respond appropriately.
Have a variety of anecdotal short stories you can plug into different conversations.

If you have the money, or a sponsor, eg an employer with training funds to spare, go on a Dale Carnegie public speaking course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending