Fell off that path- can't see any more stars... Watch

MidnightSymphony
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello to anyone unlucky enough to be wasting their free time (or what should be their work time- in which case get back to work you procrastinating ****) reading this.

For those who didn't read my GYG last year, my name's Lewianter which you already know if you can read at all (well, technically it's Matthew) and 3 weeks today I'm gonna be starting my AS Level journey. You won't get the title.

For those who did read my GYG last year, why the hell are you here again? Thanks very much regardless- at least you understand the title...

I'm scared to start but yet excited, and I'm writing this sentence so I can look upon that excitement with a lot of regret in the months to come.

I'm doing chemistry, maths, physics, and music AS levels.

At the moment I volunteer at an Oxfam store twice a week and I've applied to McDonald's and Primark for part time work- I'll continue volunteering until I get an interview anywhere else, simply.

Something that'll crop up here a lot is the musical I wrote- that's because in my former secondary school the drama department are interested in getting past pupils back to perform it and that will be starting in September. It scares me so much more than college.

OK then, now for the interesting bit- GCSE grades.
Spoiler:
Show

Mathematics- A*

Maths Numeracy- A*

English Language- A*

English Literature- A

Biology- A

Chemistry- A*

Physics- A*

Geography- A

Music- A*

R.E. - A

Welsh 2nd Language- A

Welsh Baccalaureate- A (P2)

AS Mocks- December 2018

Spoiler:
Show

Maths- A (On target)
Physics- B (On the target I was set, but below my target for myself)
Chemistry- C (Well below my target and my set target. Heck)
Music- A (above set target, on my own target)

As I said last year, to anyone reading, thank you and good luck.
Last edited by MidnightSymphony; 9 months ago
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
I've copied over last year's grand tag list of 5 people- if you want to be added/removed from it please tell me.

clouddbubbles
Toastiekid
04MR17
Sinead's Dreams
Evil Homer
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
OH YEAH. To those doing GCSE (music and geography in particular) I have some very helpful resources from last year I still have that I could send pictures of. They are for the WJEC course but they'll probably be helpful somewhat for the other boards cause I don't think the courses are that much different other than case studies and detailed studies.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck with your GCSE results Matthew!
You wrote a musical!? And it will be performed by actual people!? Holy moly that's insane but lowkey scary ahhhh good luck my man

Tag me up, of course
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
good luck with gcse results day!
i don't think a lot of people are completely firm with their choices:lol: tag me please
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Thu Aug 16-

I'm a lot more nervous for next week and for Cleve after seeing friends recieving AS results. One friend received AABB at AS and describes her mood as suicidal and she's never usually the type to be like that about things like that. So that's what college has done to her...is AABB really that bad?

I haven't been doing that much studying over the holidays because my time has been devoted to volunteering and notating the score for the musical I've written- if that's gonna be performed next year it sorta needs one quite quick. I will find time to brush up on a few things before college commences though. I hope.

[/spoiler]
clouddbubbles
Toastiekid
04MR17
Sinead's Dreams
Evil Homer
SomMC1
entertainmyfaith

Again anyone who's on that list from last time and doesn't want to be there please tell me.
[/spoiler]
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
...why did the spoiler not work
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lewianter)
Thu Aug 16-

I'm a lot more nervous for next week and for Cleve after seeing friends recieving AS results. One friend received AABB at AS and describes her mood as suicidal and she's never usually the type to be like that about things like that. So that's what college has done to her...is AABB really that bad?

I haven't been doing that much studying over the holidays because my time has been devoted to volunteering and notating the score for the musical I've written- if that's gonna be performed next year it sorta needs one quite quick. I will find time to brush up on a few things before college commences though. I hope.

[/spoiler]
clouddbubbles
Toastiekid
04MR17
Sinead's Dreams
Evil Homer
SomMC1
entertainmyfaith

Again anyone who's on that list from last time and doesn't want to be there please tell me.
[/spoiler]
Why is she even stressing so much about AS grades. Predictions are very important and how you do at the end of Y13 is too.
AABB is not bad but it's not good either especially if her aim is top 50/100 ranked school in the work.

I usually know how I've done on tests and thus can prepare myself for the results, i.e. I know I ****ed the year 12 end of years in HL maths so I wasn't too surprised when it was disastrous. Never suicidal though; it's just a test. There's always an alternative way.
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
...why did the spoiler not work
You don’t need a / on the first spoiler code
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
AABB is great what?!!!
i’d be happy with that for AS
maybe not for a level, but defo for AS
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
You don’t need a / on the first spoiler code
Thanking youuu in my old one I just copied it over every time so I still don't really know
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm as anxious as you are! just going to try and distract myself for the next week
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
i'm as anxious as you are! just going to try and distract myself for the next week
In the shop I volunteer at the deputy manager (who's there every day) is a kind but really annoying old woman (whose husband was my form tutor at school in year 10 oddly) who tells these awful stories about how badly her kids did and how they're all somewhere terrible with their lives now but always ends it with "But I'm sure you'll do better than that". It messes with my head and makes distracting myself from results day pretty much impossible- annoying when the only time I forget about it is when I'm busy at work. I'm in work Monday and Wednesday so I've got her on my back twice next week, and possibly also tomorrow, though I've only been asked in tomorrow because of the lack of staff so maybe she'll be off? I hope...
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the shop I volunteer at the deputy manager (who's there every day) is a kind but really annoying old woman (whose husband was my form tutor at school in year 10 oddly) who tells these awful stories about how badly her kids did and how they're all somewhere terrible with their lives now but always ends it with "But I'm sure you'll do better than that". It messes with my head and makes distracting myself from results day pretty much impossible- annoying when the only time I forget about it is when I'm busy at work. I'm in work Monday and Wednesday so I've got her on my back twice next week, and possibly also tomorrow, though I've only been asked in tomorrow because of the lack of staff so maybe she'll be off? I hope...
that's not very helpful:sadnod: just try to ignore her and know that bad gcses don't determine your future
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Fri Aug 24-

I suppose I’m too easily influenced. But I was sitting in front of the head of physics being enrolled trying to explain why I didn’t want to do physics any more. Eventually I gave in and enrolled to do the 4 subjects but I doubt I’ll stick with 4 for very long. At least this way I can just drop off one if I’m not enjoying- had I chosen the 3 and found I wasn’t happy I’d have had to switch and catch up with work and that’s a lot of work and effort.

I also signed up to a program called GATE that the college runs. It stands for Gifted and Talented Excellence and it’s comprised of the most academically able students at the college. I’m not 100% sure what it does yet but a friend in the year above, who has been in the program throughout her AS year, finds it boring and time-consuming. So now you know- I wish I had before I went and signed up.

I’m going on holiday tomorrow. 3 night cruise. Belgium and France. Hopefully it’ll take my mind off college starting for a while.

But seriously, it’s yet to fully sink in that I’m a college student now! I start a week Tuesday and am very nervous. I’m not gonna make any friends istg.

One more piece of news- I might have gotten the top results in my school, or 2nd top anyway. If so I could apparently be eligible for a £1500 bursary. That’ll be driving lessons covered. …wait, I’ll be starting them in under a year…
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show

clouddbubbles
Toastiekid
04MR17
Sinead's Dreams
Evil Homer
SomMC1
entertainmyfaith

Again anyone who's on that list from last time and doesn't want to be there please tell me. After today I may remove those from last year who haven't confirmed they still wanna be there, for their sake.
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
Thu Aug 30-

Time for an update on my monotonous life then I guess-

I do want to go into teaching. I may have mentioned this in my old GYG but I ignore that aspiration because my family always take this "You could do better" stance when I mention this. As far as I'm concerned though, you're no better than the person you aspire to be. I want to go on to do a degree in music or a science, followed by a PGCE. There. Now that's cleared up. For now. (Having said that I'm still apprehensive about the idea of uni- just less so now)

College starts on Tuesday- and every day afterward I will be giving updates on the day- when I say updates I really mean sarcastic ranting.

I've been applying for jobs in the hope I'll have time to work around doing 4 A-Levels and trying tp put on a musical I wrote myself. And have a family life. And see friends. And keep my boyfriend- it's surprising I have one of those in the first place especially when you realise I'm one of the most unattractive people I've ever known (I'm bi and have had a boyfriend since November. May as well admit it)

Who else is nervous for what's coming up? Maybe starting year 11, year 12, uni? And has everyone's summer been what they wanted it to be?

entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
glad to hear you seem to have more of an idea of what you want to do in the future
i'm v nervous for year 12 but also excited:lol:
hope this year goes well and that you're able to manage your busy life:yep:
MidnightSymphony
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
glad to hear you seem to have more of an idea of what you want to do in the future
i'm v nervous for year 12 but also excited:lol:
hope this year goes well and that you're able to manage your busy life:yep:
Yeah, teaching has for about 3 years been a potential career in my head but the pay and my family's comments about teachers (my family hate teachers and parents evenings) has been offputting. This year though I've had 3 teachers tell me on seperate occasions I'd make a perfect teacher- only one of them in the knowledge that I even wanted to go down that path.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Lewianter , entertainmyfaith pointed me towards your blog she said you wanted to be a teacher and I'm starting my PGCE this year :eek:

I'm doing a thread for it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5551588 which you can check out if you want, but no pressure. You could also think about checking out the Teacher training, teaching and education jobs sub forum if you wanted.

I do think there are lots of pros of teaching as a job- but it's also not something you have to do straight away after uni- there's lots of support for people who want to career change into teaching. However, if it's what you want to do, definitely don't let your family put you off! I can give you a list of reasons as to why I chose teaching which you can share with them if you want?

I'd love to follow your journey, so please feel free to tag me into updates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (192)
71.38%
No I haven't decided yet (47)
17.47%
Yes but I might change my mind (30)
11.15%

Watched Threads