The Student Room Group

Should I apply to UKCAT heavy universities?

I got a 690 average UKCAT score (2 weeks ago) and was wondering if my score is high enough to apply to universities who rely heavily on the UKCAT (Newcastle, Glasgow, Bristol etc).
What do you think?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
anyone? :smile:
Reply 3
I personally don’t know for sure but your score is pretty good (you’re applying for undergrad right?) best bet is to check each university and see what their UKCAT cut off scores were in previous years if you can find that information. If you’re applying for graduate medicine, it’s still possible but apply for universities more focused on academics or work experience. Hope this helps!
It's above average which is good. If this were last year, you'd be in the 7th decile which is relatively high up.
For last years entry, this was where they advised applying with your ukcat:
https://www.themedicportal.com/apply-good-ukcat-score-2018-entry-part-one/

At the end of the day I'd apply where you want to go. If the rest of your application is strong(good GCSE's, good PS), then you are less limited in where you can apply to. However if either of these are weak then UKCAT heavy uni's may be more advisable for you
Reply 5
Original post by Smuu
I personally don’t know for sure but your score is pretty good (you’re applying for undergrad right?) best bet is to check each university and see what their UKCAT cut off scores were in previous years if you can find that information. If you’re applying for graduate medicine, it’s still possible but apply for universities more focused on academics or work experience. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I'm an undergraduate and I read that most ukcat heavy universities have a cutoff of 670 but for Newcastle it's around 685. The problem is that my score is just above the cut off so I'm not sure that I will be guaranteed an interview if I apply to those unis :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
It's above average which is good. If this were last year, you'd be in the 7th decile which is relatively high up.
For last years entry, this was where they advised applying with your ukcat:
https://www.themedicportal.com/apply-good-ukcat-score-2018-entry-part-one/

At the end of the day I'd apply where you want to go. If the rest of your application is strong(good GCSE's, good PS), then you are less limited in where you can apply to. However if either of these are weak then UKCAT heavy uni's may be more advisable for you

Thank you very much! I have 6A*s in GCSE and unis which look at your academics require at least 8A*s so that's why I'm opting for more UKCAT heavy unis :smile:
I'd suggest you apply to a variety of schools. As you only have four options, I would put down a school that has a considerably lower ukcat cutoff score than your own. That's what I did and in the end that was my only offer for medicine in the uk- anglia ruskin university- together with my backup plan (applied medical sciences at Swansea). It's so competitive, so put down a "safety" school! you could pick plymouth or hull-york, because in the end going somewhere to study medicine, even if it's not that highly ranked, it's stil better than going nowhere.
Original post by Francesco8801
Thank you very much! I have 6A*s in GCSE and unis which look at your academics require at least 8A*s so that's why I'm opting for more UKCAT heavy unis :smile:

There you go. So I'd apply UKCAT heavy unis then.
Reply 9
Original post by annacorriero
I'd suggest you apply to a variety of schools. As you only have four options, I would put down a school that has a considerably lower ukcat cutoff score than your own. That's what I did and in the end that was my only offer for medicine in the uk- anglia ruskin university- together with my backup plan (applied medical sciences at Swansea). It's so competitive, so put down a "safety" school! you could pick plymouth or hull-york, because in the end going somewhere to study medicine, even if it's not that highly ranked, it's stil better than going nowhere.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look at some unis which have a lower ukcat cut off score as one of my options
Reply 10
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I'm an undergraduate and I read that most ukcat heavy universities have a cutoff of 670 but for Newcastle it's around 685. The problem is that my score is just above the cut off so I'm not sure that I will be guaranteed an interview if I apply to those unis :smile:

I’m sure you’ll be fine, your score is very high and within the interview range so just apply to where you’d like, and make sure the rest of your application is on point! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Smuu
I’m sure you’ll be fine, your score is very high and within the interview range so just apply to where you’d like, and make sure the rest of your application is on point! :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
I got a 690 average UKCAT score (2 weeks ago) and was wondering if my score is high enough to apply to universities who rely heavily on the UKCAT (Newcastle, Glasgow, Bristol etc).
What do you think?

Hi there,

This is a great score - congratulations! :smile: We'd say this is a good score to apply to UKCAT-heavy universities with - especially if the rest of your application is strong too.

We have a rough guide on how each med school uses the UKCAT on our UKCAT guide.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 13
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there,

This is a great score - congratulations! :smile: We'd say this is a good score to apply to UKCAT-heavy universities with - especially if the rest of your application is strong too.

We have a rough guide on how each med school uses the UKCAT on our UKCAT guide.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Thank you so much! That link is really helpful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest