The Student Room Group

Part time job and A Levels

I recently applied for a job which asks me to do 8 hours per week as a restaurant assistant. They told me that I will have to work on both Saturday and Sunday assuming I will do 4 hours on each day. Do you think this will be suitable for an AS student this year? And by the way I am taking Biology Chemistry and probably Physics. I am good at managing my time but I am scared of overworking myself having no days off.
Reply 1
Original post by geogirl901
I recently applied for a job which asks me to do 8 hours per week as a restaurant assistant. They told me that I will have to work on both Saturday and Sunday assuming I will do 4 hours on each day. Do you think this will be suitable for an AS student this year? And by the way I am taking Biology Chemistry and probably Physics. I am good at managing my time but I am scared of overworking myself having no days off.

It is tough not having any days off. I spent my whole time in sixth form working both weekend days. I used to work 10 hours a week at Lush in year 12, 2x5 hour shifts. In year 13 I worked at John Lewis for 5 hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday. What I will say is that in year 13 you may struggle. I used up all of my holiday in order to take time off in the months leading up to exams. In year 12 I managed. It was annoying but a 4 hour shift is super short anyway so it will leave you with a lot of the day to still revise or relax etc.
Reply 2
tell them straightaway about your study commitments and hopefully they should understand. you won't be the first student working for them so hopefully it will be easy to sort out :smile: i used to bring some revision cards to look at on my breaks which helped.
Reply 3
Original post by ruthflame57
It is tough not having any days off. I spent my whole time in sixth form working both weekend days. I used to work 10 hours a week at Lush in year 12, 2x5 hour shifts. In year 13 I worked at John Lewis for 5 hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday. What I will say is that in year 13 you may struggle. I used up all of my holiday in order to take time off in the months leading up to exams. In year 12 I managed. It was annoying but a 4 hour shift is super short anyway so it will leave you with a lot of the day to still revise or relax etc.

Thank you for your reply, this was reassuring!! I haven’t gotten the job yet, but if I do I’m afraid my parents will be reluctant of letting me get the job purely because I’ll have no full days of rest. Were your parents also hesitant of letting you get the job? This will be my first job if I do get it too 😁
Reply 4
Original post by geogirl901
Thank you for your reply, this was reassuring!! I haven’t gotten the job yet, but if I do I’m afraid my parents will be reluctant of letting me get the job purely because I’ll have no full days of rest. Were your parents also hesitant of letting you get the job? This will be my first job if I do get it too 😁

They weren’t really because for future experience and things to talk about in personal statements etc. it is so useful to have had some part-time work. If they are concerned just explain to them that universities do like to see that people have hobbies, interests, and responsibilities outside of their studies!
Reply 5
Original post by ski1234
tell them straightaway about your study commitments and hopefully they should understand. you won't be the first student working for them so hopefully it will be easy to sort out :smile: i used to bring some revision cards to look at on my breaks which helped.

I don’t think they’ll adjust schedules to fit my needs unfortunately :frown: but I am just desperate for money right now and I hate relying on my parents for money because I always feel so bad like they are spending too much on me. It’s at my local Debenhams restaurant and they seem like they wouldn’t be up for changing shifts 😔

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending