The Student Room Group

Do you think the GCSE and A-level reforms were necessary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tolgarda
The middle is also separated with the two new passing grades - the 'standard' pass is a grade 4, and the 'strong' pass being a grade 5.

There is no B- anymore, or C-
you're stuck with the 4 or the 5!

7 is A
6 is B+
5 is C+
@Tolgarda Yes it is important because nowadays more and more people have access to education... More and more people are getting A's and B's.... They need to make it more difficult to succeed.. Especially with the university crisis (people graduating and not being able to find a job because there are 5 people with the exact same achievements as them applying for the exact same job). This seems to be the best solution at the moment, unless they find a way to reform the WHOLE education system.
GCSEs

9. A**
8.5. A*
8. A*-
7.5. A+
7. A
6.5. A-
6. B+
5.5. B

5. c+

4. C
3. D
2. E
1.5. f
1. G
What's the point of having so many A with + and - if very few will achieve them? Because the exams are harder now.
Why remove the B - and C - and , they not useful anymore?
(edited 5 years ago)
Any reform is necessary because the UK is absolutely crap on international measures regarding pre-university education.
Kind of reminds me of the Btecs grades they have some missing too. When compared to the A levels grades:

D*
D
M
p
Reply 86
Original post by MeMyselfand I
There is no B- anymore, or C-
you're stuck with the 4 or the 5!

7 is A
6 is B+
5 is C+

That's not an issue.

Original post by Linalolo
@Tolgarda Yes it is important because nowadays more and more people have access to education... More and more people are getting A's and B's.... They need to make it more difficult to succeed.. Especially with the university crisis (people graduating and not being able to find a job because there are 5 people with the exact same achievements as them applying for the exact same job). This seems to be the best solution at the moment, unless they find a way to reform the WHOLE education system.

I concur. I definitely am in favour of the reforms for the reasons you've stated.

Original post by LostAccount
Any reform is necessary because the UK is absolutely crap on international measures regarding pre-university education.

Agreed.
That's not an issue.

I concur. I definitely am in favour of the reforms for the reasons you've stated.

Agreed.

Well if schools had textbooks like European countries do they would know what to study, maybe that's why.
If you look around schools here they have no study books at all and that include primary school , a child gets home and a parent asks what do you have to know today what did you do show me? And then then they all pass the year anyway, in other counties they can't move on to the next year

If you go to private schools you have books you know what you're supposed to be learning that week because you follow that book.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 88
Well if schools had textbooks like European countries do they would know what to study, maybe that's why.
If you look around schools here they have no study books at all and that include primary school , a child gets home and a parent asks what do you have to know today what did you do show me? And then then they all pass the year anyway, in other counties they can't move on to the next year

If you go to private schools you have books you know what you're supposed to be learning that week because you follow that book.

What the hell? We definitely have books, some of which are guides for revision that have everything geared towards the final exams. What schools are you talking about exactly?
What the hell? We definitely have books, some of which are guides for revision that have everything geared towards the final exams. What schools are you talking about exactly?

State schools
Years 1 to secondary ! you get revision books for final exams.
Just try and find out what schools abroad do and compare
But before the schools used to be like private school where if you don't know then you won't pass the year, it's not like that anymore. Well free education
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 90
State schools
Years 1 to secondary ! you get revision books for final exams.
Just try and find out what schools abroad do and compare
But before the schools used to be like private school where if you don't know then you won't pass the year, it's not like that anymore

I attend a state school and we are provided sufficient study materials. We have in-depth books that cover the whole specification for all of our subjects. The state school that I study at is not in this deprived state that you seem to delineate.

The O-levels by 1987 maybe a total of 60% of pupils took the GCE O-Level and now 95% of pupils The GCSEs were meant for 80 to 90 % to set. The GCSEs may have needed change.
This is how I would have changed the if I had been able to help in the changes:

GCSEs
top 2.5 % Pupils Highest Hon Tier A to E or G (9-1) 30% more material then the Higher Tier
2.5 % Pupils Hon Tier A to E or G (9-1) 30% more material then the Higher Tier
5% of Pupils High Tier A to E or G (9-1) 15% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (high) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (Middle) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (low) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
10% Basic Tier A to G (9-1)
OR
3. 33.333% Higher Tier 60% more material then the lowest 11.11% in the Intermediate Tier
33.333% Intermediate Tier 60% more material then the lowest 11.11% then the Basic Tier
33.333 of pupils in the Basic Tier
either way they 10% coursework with presentation and 10% Coursework/controlled coursework with exams 6 to 10 exams through the years 7 to 11
Maths/Physics or Physical Science
Science/Computer Science
MFL
PE or Sport 1 year 4 exams
History
Government/Politics 1 year 4 exams
Geography
English Language & English Lit 4 exams through the 2 years
2 of Art/Dance/Music/Drama/theatre tech so on
2 of 2nd MFL/ Vocational so on

I attend a state school and we are provided sufficient study materials. We have in-depth books that cover the whole specification for all of our subjects. The state school that I study at is not in this deprived state that you seem to delineate.

Many schools don't have and that's a fact.

So you must have a heavy bag!
Look search what schools abroad are doing and compare, we must learn from others too not just live in our own world here
Reply 93
Many schools don't have and that's a fact.

So you must have a heavy bag!
Look search what schools abroad are doing and compare, we must learn from others too not just live in our own world here

I do actually have a heavy bag.

Anyway, if you really want to look at it like that, look at what China is doing and emulate.
Why do you think the new nine-point numerical grading scale was unnecessary? It can differentiate superior students at the top end better than the A*-G grading scale could. It also increases the aspirations of students and imparts them with a better work ethic. I think it's a good idea, and I also think it should be brought to A-levels so universities find it easier to discriminate students' ability and separate the wheat from the chaff.

It just makes it seem really confusing in my opinion. A*-G made it a simpler i thought.
But then again you could call me old as i did my GCSE's 11 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending