The Student Room Group

Unsure what to do next year.

So my story is a long and complexed one, last year I got a B (Maths), D (Geography) and E (Physics) at AS Level (which accounts for 40% of the total A-Level mark here in Northern Ireland). So I had two main options which involved staying in school, either repeat year 13 with different A-Levels or resit the majority of my AS exams while also doing my A2’s. I was unable to finish any of my AS exams in time so my teachers suggested that I may be in fact enabled to some extra time. After a long assessment I got 25% extra time due to a combination of slow handwriting and processing speed.

I picked the second option and although it involved doing 17 exams this year I believe it was the right choice especially with the 25% extra time included for the AS I resat this year. While all this was happening I also had the task of applying to UCAS, originally I wanted to do a Maths degree but with a BDE that idea was out the window.

Whilst applying I was really unsure about what course I wanted to choose, in fact the only thing I was sure of was that I wanted to stay here in Northern Ireland. This left me with 2 Uni choices either Queen’s (grade requirements probably too high) and Ulster, so without a clue of what courses to I browsed the courses at Ulster and eventually chose a combination of Criminology/Sociology courses at both Queen’s and Ulster. However by the time May came I rejected all 5 offers as I knew the courses weren’t for me.

So here I am with less than 2 days before results come out wondering whether I should go through clearing and do a youth work course at Ulster, something I have a genuine interest + experience in (grade requirements are CDD which I’ll most likely get) but don’t know if a want to pursue it as a career.

There’s also a 5 year part-time Football Coaching and Business Management course at Ulster which would essentially be my dream job as it combines both football coaching and youth work both of which I enjoy and have lots of experience with. However the grade requirements for this are BBC (which I’m unsure I’ll get) plus very few people get admitted to the course.

Overall, I just want to do something I’ll enjoy as a career but avoid jumping into a course that I won’t like. Thanks for hearing me out.
Original post by mcm-3
So my story is a long and complexed one, last year I got a B (Maths), D (Geography) and E (Physics) at AS Level (which accounts for 40% of the total A-Level mark here in Northern Ireland). So I had two main options which involved staying in school, either repeat year 13 with different A-Levels or resit the majority of my AS exams while also doing my A2’s. I was unable to finish any of my AS exams in time so my teachers suggested that I may be in fact enabled to some extra time. After a long assessment I got 25% extra time due to a combination of slow handwriting and processing speed.

I picked the second option and although it involved doing 17 exams this year I believe it was the right choice especially with the 25% extra time included for the AS I resat this year. While all this was happening I also had the task of applying to UCAS, originally I wanted to do a Maths degree but with a BDE that idea was out the window.

Whilst applying I was really unsure about what course I wanted to choose, in fact the only thing I was sure of was that I wanted to stay here in Northern Ireland. This left me with 2 Uni choices either Queen’s (grade requirements probably too high) and Ulster, so without a clue of what courses to I browsed the courses at Ulster and eventually chose a combination of Criminology/Sociology courses at both Queen’s and Ulster. However by the time May came I rejected all 5 offers as I knew the courses weren’t for me.

So here I am with less than 2 days before results come out wondering whether I should go through clearing and do a youth work course at Ulster, something I have a genuine interest + experience in (grade requirements are CDD which I’ll most likely get) but don’t know if a want to pursue it as a career.

There’s also a 5 year part-time Football Coaching and Business Management course at Ulster which would essentially be my dream job as it combines both football coaching and youth work both of which I enjoy and have lots of experience with. However the grade requirements for this are BBC (which I’m unsure I’ll get) plus very few people get admitted to the course.

Overall, I just want to do something I’ll enjoy as a career but avoid jumping into a course that I won’t like. Thanks for hearing me out.

Hi!

Being a university, we obviously want everybody to come! But only if you want to. It sounds like you're not entirely sold on any of the courses. It's not a bad option to just take a year to figure things out!

However, see what your results are and you might find you did better than expected! Then you could have your pick from loads of clearing courses :smile: Don't settle for a course just because of it's low entry requirements if your heart isn't in it. Three years is a long time and once you've got a degree it's rare to go back and do another. Choose carefully!

Of course, we are also doing clearing so if you fancy giving us a call we can run you through any options we might have for you.

Good luck!

Alex (LJMU rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending