The Student Room Group

Experience studying Computer Science at BCU?

I'm still at college studying a level 3 extended diploma in IT which i have 2 Distinction*'s for at the moment and plan to get my third next year. I'm looking to study computer science at degree level at BCU since it's very local and I know people who have gone there and enjoyed it. I'm aware that BCU has a 'bad rep' for some reason so I just want to know peoples experiences studying computing there and what I can expect. Is it worth it?
Hi, I'm currently a Comp Sci undergraduate not a BCU though. Please don't be offended but why are you looking at BCU when you have Distinction*s? One of my best friends from school went to BCU and he just scraped through CDD at A level and seemed to get in easily which I think would be the same points as Merit, Merit, Pass (MMP) in a BTEC, you have so much higher than this?
If you have full D*s. Don't limit yourself by going to BCU. you could do so much more if you had a degree from a higher university which you could easily get accepted into with your grades
Original post by CompSci1101
Hi, I'm currently a Comp Sci undergraduate not a BCU though. Please don't be offended but why are you looking at BCU when you have Distinction*s? One of my best friends from school went to BCU and he just scraped through CDD at A level and seemed to get in easily which I think would be the same points as Merit, Merit, Pass (MMP) in a BTEC, you have so much higher than this?

I don't feel smart enough to go to a better uni. Me and my friends on this course have all got distinctions because the work is so easy compared to people who are doing A levels. We know really smart people doing A levels who have had to spend hours and hours revising and still not getting the grades they want while we have a course that's 100% coursework and it's mostly done for us by the teachers by giving us templates and loads of re submission attempts. This makes me worry since I know university is going to be much more demanding and I'm scared I will fail at a uni such as Aston or UoB. I feel like I've learnt nothing so far on this course despite getting the best grades, it's quite disappointing. Also I only got a C at GCSE maths and this course has no maths involved whatsoever and I know that computer science at uni has a lot of mathematics involved and I doubt i'll be as prepared as those who did A level Comp Sci and Maths.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by thomasnottingham
I don't feel smart enough to go to a better uni. Me and my friends on this course have all got distinctions because the work is so easy compared to people who are doing A levels. We know really smart people doing A levels who have had to spend hours and hours revising and still not getting the grades they want while we have a course that's 100% coursework and it's mostly done for us by the teachers by giving us templates and loads of re submission attempts. This makes me worry since I know university is going to be much more demanding and I'm scared I will fail at a uni such as Aston or UoB. I feel like I've learnt nothing so far on this course despite getting the best grades, it's quite disappointing. Also I only got a C at GCSE maths and this course has no maths involved whatsoever and I know that computer science at uni has a lot of mathematics involved and I doubt i'll be as prepared as those who did A level Comp Sci and Maths.

University will also be primarily course work so you will have a kind of advantage of having experience in course work and what tutors expect in an assignment. If you don't have good math then don't let that burger you as maths in computer science is very different compared to a level and gcse mathematics.

All you need to do is Commit to getting the assignment right on the first try and submitting it on time. If you can do that then you will thrive at an excellent quality university.

If you are still unsure about the mathematics then read a 'discrete mathematics' book and you will see that it is nothing to worry about
Original post by Motorcate
University will also be primarily course work so you will have a kind of advantage of having experience in course work and what tutors expect in an assignment. If you don't have good math then don't let that burger you as maths in computer science is very different compared to a level and gcse mathematics.

All you need to do is Commit to getting the assignment right on the first try and submitting it on time. If you can do that then you will thrive at an excellent quality university.

If you are still unsure about the mathematics then read a 'discrete mathematics' book and you will see that it is nothing to worry about

Thanks for the reassurance, I just hope I have the right grades to get into Aston when the time comes next year :smile:

Up to you I guess, but where pretty much everyone goes to uni now, 'just' going to uni and getting a degree is nothing special. To be competitive people are finding you need more than 'just' a degree i.e. going to a good uni, doing a masters etc.

The only rational advice is to push yourself and do the best degree and the best university you can, if you take a soft course and find it really easy then whats the point?

Aston is good, go for it.
UoB if you don't have A level maths then you'll have to do a foundation year making the degree 4 years, but the foundation year aims to bring everyone up the the same required level before starting the actual degree so that could be worth considering in your case and you'll start on an even playing field (but if you're on D*D*D* you'll be fine at a good uni anyway) - it'll take longer but it'll be a much better degree than at BCU.

I'm in the same position as you. got D*D* last year, expecting D*D*D* at the end, I tried AS levels, I failed really bad at UUED. Partly because Im bad at exams, very poor teaching at college and mental health. Got good grades now coz teachers do most work, so many resubs. Thought I won't be up for uni. My ucas got sent today and got an offer from Aston University already in a few hours. Im just wondering if I should accept it or wait to see if UoB accepts my application for foundation degree course. hhhhhhhh wondering if theres a better uni than Aston that accepts btec.
what did u write in your personal statement ?

Quick Reply

Latest