Mental health issues and A Levels

Watch this thread
Mo_Barker
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I had a ROUGH time with A levels, I'll just start with that. I'm an independent liver, which meant working long hours. In fact, although I only went to college 3 days a week due to my timetable, on those 3 days I was also working, which meant being up at 6am to leave at 7:30, not getting home til 10pm, and not sleeping til 12pm since I had to cook and shower. I was tired, and eventually I burned out. I also had issues with a teacher who mocked and bullied me, and having no real aim other than get by. When I went to the doctor and hospital multiple times due to sickness both mentally and physically I was shooed, and college didn't intervene until it was too late.
So that's the circumstance. I got an A in Gov/Pol AS last year, and did Geog, His, and Econ plus an EPQ this year. I failed my coursework miserably, mainly due to one of the subjects being the one in which the teacher belittled me, and the other suffering as a result. I heard that I got a C in my EPQ.
I got into Cambridge to do econ (which isn't even the subject I want to do- in having no clear aim I realise now it was because I hated the degree I wanted to do!) and I know full well I've missed the offer. But- are they forgiving? Of course, they have a reputation to uphold, but I really feel as though I'd thrive there. I had a bad time due to illness, bullying, etc, and I hid away from college. But I feel like I could really do great things. What can I do?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Not much tbh. Short of retaking, you've passed the window for extenuating circumstances.
Mo_Barker
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
Not much tbh. Short of retaking, you've passed the window for extenuating circumstances.
Unfortunately I tried all avenues. Universities have been contacted re the situation, but retaking isn't viable. I'm on minimum wage, I can't afford more exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.18%
No (46)
22.22%
I didn't use it to prepare (24)
11.59%

Watched Threads