rdavies0205
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm taking chemistry, maths, English literature and language (combined English) and history - what advice do you have for this year 12 gremlin? My GCSE grades (predictions as of December 2017) are 5 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs. I've already achieved 3 Bs in English literature, maths and numeracy.

I'm looking at history or law at university but I'm open to pretty much anything at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m currently about to study English Lit + History in a last year of sixth form! Best advice I can offer you is GIRL DO THOSE ESSAYS - Essay plans for studying, sentence starters and key structural points, get those PEEL arguments in - And keep up to date with content I can’t speak for the other 2 😬

Do you know what topics you’re doing in lit and history?
rdavies0205
Rep:
?
Yes, Once In A House On Fire by Andrea Ashworth and A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams for English lit and for history, I'm doing Europe 1890-1991 and then the first half of the English Civil War 1625-1640. What topics did you cover in both subjects?

English lit GCSE was horrible for essays, being an ickle year 10, I forgot essay plans even existed! Oops :doh:. History wasn't too bad, the essays were fine. Though history and English lit essays combined...how did you survive that workload? I've heard it's really tough with just one essay subject.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rdavies0205)
Yes, Once In A House On Fire by Andrea Ashworth and A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams for English lit and for history, I'm doing Europe 1890-1991 and then the first half of the English Civil War 1625-1640. What topics did you cover in both subjects?

English lit GCSE was horrible for essays, being an ickle year 10, I forgot essay plans even existed! Oops :doh:. History wasn't too bad, the essays were fine. Though history and English lit essays combined...how did you survive that workload? I've heard it's really tough with just one essay subject.
Ahh, we study very different things!

History - Russia 1894-1941, The Late Tudors, 16/17th century Witchcraze, and the Holocaust for our coursework.

English Lit - Wuthering Heights, The Handmaids’s Tale + The Winter’s Tale!

I was awful during my GCSE’s... I didn’t even read the novels I needed to for Literature 😬 But A-Level is a whole ‘nother Story..

In terms of workload - The key really is to use your free periods. You’ll have maybe 2-4 lessons a day, maybe 5 if it’s a full day, but within that you’ll have 1-2 hours of study. That’s roughly 10 hours per week, which is enough to keep up with what you’ve been set in class + going over some notes for revision
rdavies0205
Rep:
?
The Europe topic includes Russia 1905-1945(ish), some of which we covered at GCSE. What's the workload like, compared to GCSEs? Is September time at AS similar to May/June at GCSE?
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For chemistry, the jump from GCSE for me was pretty huge. I couldn’t cope initially, so much so that my teacher thought that I was going to drop it (I had no intention of dropping it). But no matter how confusing chemistry gets, stick with it and try and work through everything step by step.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads