Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Basically from september 2017 I moved into a flat shared with 2 friends on my course, it was pretty bad, fire alarm was broken for starters! Still don't think it got fixed! Anyway come May 2018 my loan had all but dried up! So I needed I couldn't exactly afford food despite having a job (didn't pay well and cost me money there and back) so I decide to move back with my parents still trying to find another job. Months pass and I get a message from my flat mate saying he's going to take me to court based on the fact I haven't electric/gas bills when I haven't been there, I tried reaching an agreement but he turned agressive and called me names, told me that everyone hates me and thinks i'm a creep I blocked him in the end it got pretty bad. He new I was looking for a job and now iv'e found one and tried to reach an agreement again and he resorted to namecalling, belittling and making accusations of peadophillia!? So bottom line, he is now taking this up with the agency and landlord and they suppossedley promised him his money I owe him. What should I do?


    This situation sounds awful. If your contract is with the landlord of the property this flat mate has no grounds to take legal action on their behalf. Also, it seems in this situation that you are the only one attempting to resolve the issue and come to an agreement. If this does go to court they will see that you attempted to participate in some form of ADR and things turned aggressive, keep the messages as proof and they will usually take your side. Even when you are not in the property you would still be liable to pay your percentage of the costs, I know this sucks but it’s a shared responsibility. Good luck with this, congratulations on the new job.

    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

    Hey, I think you should ask this question in reddit. There are some actual lawyers there who will most likely help you.
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.