The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Re doing first year for 3rd time...

Hi I am a student who has dropped out of a 1st year biology course then switched uni and looks like I will fail this too. I have struggled with depression my whole time at university and was only diagnosed this year. I submitted an extenuating circumstances form and got a chance to do my missed work again but I couldn't finish it all. Will I be able to start with a blank slate again? I am on medication now and feel like I'm ready for it. But thoughts of being declined at uni are giving me some bad thoughts and anxiety. Someone please help me. Thanks.
Original post by Vintus
Hi I am a student who has dropped out of a 1st year biology course then switched uni and looks like I will fail this too. I have struggled with depression my whole time at university and was only diagnosed this year. I submitted an extenuating circumstances form and got a chance to do my missed work again but I couldn't finish it all. Will I be able to start with a blank slate again? I am on medication now and feel like I'm ready for it. But thoughts of being declined at uni are giving me some bad thoughts and anxiety. Someone please help me. Thanks.

You have now run out of your initial student finance and they will only pay for you if you submit a compelling personal reasons claim based on medical or personal issues which caused your failure. they decide if the reason is good enough. You need evidence.

My gut instinct is you arent ready for it and should take a year out to make sure you have it under control and get better. that is what i would do. You can suspend studies put in a CPR, get funding back and then go back at your choice or even change courses.

If you do go straight back and arent ready then you could run out of finance and end up not being able to do a degree at all. Its a risk. You have gotten it wrong twice already. talk it through with people who know you.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You have now run out of your initial student finance and they will only pay for you if you submit a compelling personal reasons claim based on medical or personal issues which caused your failure. they decide if the reason is good enough. You need evidence.

My gut instinct is you arent ready for it and should take a year out to make sure you have it under control and get better. that is what i would do. You can suspend studies put in a CPR, get funding back and then go back at your choice or even change courses.

If you do go straight back and arent ready then you could run out of finance and end up not being able to do a degree at all. Its a risk. You have gotten it wrong twice already. talk it through with people who know you.

I have medical notes from the GP as evidence how do I go about submitting them
Original post by Vintus
I have medical notes from the GP as evidence how do I go about submitting them

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf
Original post by Vintus

Hi @Vintus Sorry to hear you've been having trouble. I'd advise you to get in touch with our Student Support team - [email protected] or https://www.facebook.com/staffsunisupport/. They should be able to advise you on your best course of action.

Thanks

Amy
Get some proper advice and support, as described above.

If I'm being brutally honest it doesn't sound like you're ready for uni yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending