The Student Room Group

Queen Mary's or Surrey for Theoretical Physics

QM is better because it is in london and that's closer for me as I want to live at home from 2nd year and London is more lively ofc. However I do like Surrey as well and it's better for Physics as I have been told and from the league tables. I havent been to Surrey though.
My firm is Ucl and insurance is Surrey.
I'm not sure what I should do if I do not get my firm
League tables are pretty much meaningless in this circumstance - if you're looking at any differences smaller than 10+ "spots" between universities, the metrics are just not useful in discriminating between those. The rankings are too volatile and differences too small to infer anything meaningful from that situation; rankings are more useful in the broadest strokes e.g. UCL is generally considered stronger than UEA in many subjects, and both are considered better than e.g. Solent in most subjects, to get an idea of where things lie on the largest scale.

If you like Surrey, then that suffices in of itself. It's better to go somewhere you like more, regardless of how tailored the course is to your current idea of what you want to do, than to go somewhere else which is the perfect preparation for one possibility of a future, and end up hating it. I would say my impression is QMUL is better for TP than Surrey, as the latter seems to focus more on the industrial/applied side of nuclear physics and imaging (their theory work seems more focused into their Maths department, although it's likely they contribute to UG teaching in Physics). But I couldn't say confidently the difference is enough to be worth choosing one over the over. Brian Wecht was a pretty notable figure at QMUL but he did leave to be a full time youtuber dressing up as a ninja and playing a keytar...
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
League tables are pretty much meaningless in this circumstance - if you're looking at any differences smaller than 10+ "spots" between universities, the metrics are just not useful in discriminating between those. The rankings are too volatile and differences too small to infer anything meaningful from that situation; rankings are more useful in the broadest strokes e.g. UCL is generally considered stronger than UEA in many subjects, and both are considered better than e.g. Solent in most subjects, to get an idea of where things lie on the largest scale.

If you like Surrey, then that suffices in of itself. It's better to go somewhere you like more, regardless of how tailored the course is to your current idea of what you want to do, than to go somewhere else which is the perfect preparation for one possibility of a future, and end up hating it. I would say my impression is QMUL is better for TP than Surrey, as the latter seems to focus more on the industrial/applied side of nuclear physics and imaging (their theory work seems more focused into their Maths department, although it's likely they contribute to UG teaching in Physics). But I couldn't say confidently the difference is enough to be worth choosing one over the over. Brian Wecht was a pretty notable figure at QMUL but he did leave to be a full time youtuber dressing up as a ninja and playing a keytar...

there's one more thing if Surrey is the last uni left and the others don't consider should I pick it instead of a gap year ?
Original post by student004
there's one more thing if Surrey is the last uni left and the others don't consider should I pick it instead of a gap year ?

If you liked Surrey and want to go there, and would be happy doing your degree there, then yes by all means go there!
Hi,
I'm a current student at QMUL. I'm not a physics student, so I'm not the best person for questions relating specifically to the course, but if you have any questions relating to student life I'd be happy to help.
You could also check out UniBuddy, which is an app, to see if you can get in touch with some QM physics students to get their opinion on the course!

Best,
Henriette

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending