The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Catered or Self-catered? (University College Durham)

Wondering if anyone had any advice/experience re self-catered Vs catered at University College. I also have a gluten allergy so would be interested in hearing the gluten free choices/quality throughout the year.

As I see it:
Catered
-Don't have to worry about buying/cooking food
-More social

Self catered
- Flexible meal times
- More likely to be healthier/suited to you

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hey,

One of my friends at Van Mildert is gluten free and the only problem she's ever mentioned to me is that she can't have many of the dessert options at dinner (most of the time she can only have fruit). I'm not sure how indicative this is of the options at Castle but I'm fairly sure most colleges have the same food, so I imagine it would be similar there.

If you're torn between the two and can see the advantages and disadvantages of each, I'd perhaps suggest looking at the fees for self-catered and catered accommodation and figuring out an estimate of how much you might spend on food per week/throughout the year, to see which would work out cheapest for you. Durham's accommodation fees are extremely high compared to most unis, so you might want to save money where you can.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Sizeable Muppet
Wondering if anyone had any advice/experience re self-catered Vs catered at University College. I also have a gluten allergy so would be interested in hearing the gluten free choices/quality throughout the year.

As I see it:
Catered
-Don't have to worry about buying/cooking food
-More social

Self catered
- Flexible meal times
- More likely to be healthier/suited to you

Thanks in advance!

Just realised that Castle allows for self catering now. Its new for 2018, so nobody will have experience in this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending