Medicine gap year enquiries Watch

Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Sorry if this seems really self-explanatory or if it has been asked multiple times before but could someone please run me through the UCAS and applying to university process for someone on a gap year?
I'm going to be in year 13 in September and hope to study medicine, however if I end up taking a gap year, would that mean that I would apply through UCAS in 2019 for 2020 entry?

Thank you
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Vanilla Twilight)
Sorry if this seems really self-explanatory or if it has been asked multiple times before but could someone please run me through the UCAS and applying to university process for someone on a gap year?
I'm going to be in year 13 in September and hope to study medicine, however if I end up taking a gap year, would that mean that I would apply through UCAS in 2019 for 2020 entry?

Thank you
If you apply to uni whilst you're in year 13 then you'd apply for the 2019 entry, if you apply on a gap year then you'd apply for the 2020 entry.
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
If you apply to uni whilst you're in year 13 then you'd apply for the 2019 entry, if you apply on a gap year then you'd apply for the 2020 entry.
Thank you for replying.
What if I applied for 2019 entry but received no offers?
wolfmoon88
  • Community Assistant
Report 7 months ago
Thank you for replying.
Then you can apply again in 2020, albeit do the process all over again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you for replying.
You could go into Clearing and look for a non-medicine course, or you can apply again for the 2020 entry.
RevisionGuide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you for replying.
Doesn't really matter when you apply considering you want to take a year out. You can apply for a deferral in September 2018 but if you don't get any offers, you can apply in September 2019 after you have received your A Level grades and you can go from there by applying for the 2020 entry.
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
You could go into Clearing and look for a non-medicine course, or you can apply again for the 2020 entry.
Would my personal statement be generally the same if I were to apply for 2020 entry since it would be too early to talk about anything I've done on the gap year?
Also when is the earliest universities advertise medicine spaces through clearing?
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Would my personal statement be generally the same if I were to apply for 2020 entry since it would be too early to talk about anything I've done on the gap year?
Also when is the earliest universities advertise medicine spaces through clearing?
I'm not sure many Med Schools use Clearing, as far as I know only SGUL does... maybe ecolier can give more detailed advice, and you might find this website useful: http://www.themedicportal.com/applic...cine-clearing/
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by RevisionGuide)
Doesn't really matter when you apply considering you want to take a year out. You can apply for a deferral in September 2018 but if you don't get any offers, you can apply in September 2019 after you have received your A Level grades and you can go from there by applying for the 2020 entry.
How would the application process differ since I imagine I won't have teacher references or would I?
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
I'm not sure many Med Schools use Clearing, as far as I know only SGUL does... maybe ecolier can give more detailed advice, and you might find this website useful: http://www.themedicportal.com/applic...cine-clearing/
Ok thanks
RevisionGuide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How would the application process differ since I imagine I won't have teacher references or would I?
For people taking a gap year at my school, the Sixth Form enable them to apply as if they were still a Year 13 student at the school and therefore offer the same opportunities as they do for each and every Year 13 student applying. Therefore at my school, teachers will still do a reference upon your request. If you've applied for the 2019 entry as a Year 13 Student, but still take a gap year and then reapply, teachers/the Sixth Form can easily reuse the same reference which they wrote for you for the previous entry year for the 2020 entry. I'm not sure if other schools will offer the same privilege so I would urge you to find out at some point. Personally I don't see why your school would not provide any teacher references.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Thank you
Yes. Apply by 15th October 2019 for courses starting in September / October 2020.

I'm not sure many Med Schools use Clearing, as far as I know only SGUL does... maybe @ecolier can give more detailed advice, and you might find this website useful: www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/ucas/a-guide-to-medicine-clearing/
Thanks for the tag. There are several more universities going into clearing this year for medicine.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5377422 <- this thread has lots of details on which Unis are in there. Note that just because they are offering clearing this year, doesn't mean they will next year too!
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes. Apply by 15th October 2019 for courses starting in September / October 2020.

Thanks for the tag. There are several more universities going into clearing this year for medicine.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5377422 <- this thread has lots of details on which Unis are in there. Note that just because they are offering clearing this year, doesn't mean they will next year too!
Thanks for the clarification. Great to hear about there being more places open in clearing for medicine. Just wondering though, in terms of clearing, would places purely be open for anyone who gets three As/A*s or would you have to have been been considered up to interview level for that particular university and/or have a UKCAT score that meets their requirements?

Also, I was reading the thread and read that some individuals managed spaces through clearing before results day. How is that possible, do universities openly advertise it or do you have to call them up?
Vanilla Twilight
Rep:
?
(Original post by RevisionGuide)
For people taking a gap year at my school, the Sixth Form enable them to apply as if they were still a Year 13 student at the school and therefore offer the same opportunities as they do for each and every Year 13 student applying. Therefore at my school, teachers will still do a reference upon your request. If you've applied for the 2019 entry as a Year 13 Student, but still take a gap year and then reapply, teachers/the Sixth Form can easily reuse the same reference which they wrote for you for the previous entry year for the 2020 entry. I'm not sure if other schools will offer the same privilege so I would urge you to find out at some point. Personally I don't see why your school would not provide any teacher references.
Thanks so much, that makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise