The Student Room Group

Completing my final year solely from home?

Hi all,

I'm heading into my final year of university studying Economics. I'm 24, turning 25 next year and feel like an old man compared to those around at university. I've always struggled with the independence of living away from home, fell into bad habits.. too much drinking, drugs and just generally not prioritizing my education. As a result, i've had to defer two years of my university career due to various reasons and generally just don't trust myself living out. For the longest time, the prospect of going back to halls and having one last go at student life, the partying, girls is what has kept me motivated but i've slowly had the realization that i'm too old for it and need to be sensible. Not to mention, the additional money i'd need to spend on living, accommodation etc which is a burden on my parents.

Just a bit of background, now my real question.. Am I being unrealistic in thinking I can complete my final year solely from home and get a 2:1? I know for a fact all my lectures are 100% recorded for all modules and for select modules, seminar material is also made available. I live 1 hour 30 minutes away from Uni by car, so I will still make the trip when needed for group coursework meetings or anything like that. But I intend for the bulk of my studies to be completed at home in my own time and space. Is this an unrealistic goal? I have discussed with friends and family and they are behind me on this decision. I think it shows maturity on my part but the main thing for me is putting myself in a position to get a 2:1. At this point, I feel like distancing myself from the entire university environment is my best shot.

Any kind of input, someone who did the same etc will be really helpful

thanks.
Original post by help-me333
Hi all,

I'm heading into my final year of university studying Economics. I'm 24, turning 25 next year and feel like an old man compared to those around at university. I've always struggled with the independence of living away from home, fell into bad habits.. too much drinking, drugs and just generally not prioritizing my education. As a result, i've had to defer two years of my university career due to various reasons and generally just don't trust myself living out. For the longest time, the prospect of going back to halls and having one last go at student life, the partying, girls is what has kept me motivated but i've slowly had the realization that i'm too old for it and need to be sensible. Not to mention, the additional money i'd need to spend on living, accommodation etc which is a burden on my parents.

Just a bit of background, now my real question.. Am I being unrealistic in thinking I can complete my final year solely from home and get a 2:1? I know for a fact all my lectures are 100% recorded for all modules and for select modules, seminar material is also made available. I live 1 hour 30 minutes away from Uni by car, so I will still make the trip when needed for group coursework meetings or anything like that. But I intend for the bulk of my studies to be completed at home in my own time and space. Is this an unrealistic goal? I have discussed with friends and family and they are behind me on this decision. I think it shows maturity on my part but the main thing for me is putting myself in a position to get a 2:1. At this point, I feel like distancing myself from the entire university environment is my best shot.

Any kind of input, someone who did the same etc will be really helpful

thanks.

I barely went to any lectures and achieved a 2:1, but it wasn't easy. You might think lectures are recorded so it'll be easy but it takes incredible discipline to self study everything, keep on top of oenwork (even if you don't hand it in...)

However, you do have a lot more time and energy if you are at home - no waking up early, can speed up lectures, rewind and make notes, no waiting around for lectures to start or having a cold lunch...

If I had 0 interest in ever doing anything at university social wise I would do the same (and save a substantial amount of money) but this is not the case.
I wouldn't underestimate the difficulty in completing a degree mostly by yourself. There is the issue of discipline, in getting yourself to actually watch the recorded lectures, and go through seminar material, without the push of attending the actual sessions. From my anecdotal experience with friends who have tried to do this, they almost invariably 'fall off the wagon' after a while in terms of keeping up with material, and then it's a mad scramble to try cover things before assessment deadlines and exams - meaning they almost always did worse than they might have otherwise. I think attending classes helps keep you in a routine & helps keep university and your studies at the forefront of your mind, even if the classes themselves are not always the most useful.

That said, many classes - especially seminars - are useful if you approach them the right way, i.e. prepared, and ready to contribute. They help sharpen your understanding, as well as clarify anything unclear. They can deepen your ideas, meaning you might write better assignments in the end since you have been exposed to various arguments and interpretations, in a way that just reading the material probably wouldn't give you.

Given what you said yourself about your previous tendency to fall into bad habits, I wonder whether trying to do it all from home, without much structure or guidance, would be a good idea. I wonder if you could establish a routine of going into university a couple of days, even if just for the seminars, would help keep you in contact with what's going on, but would hopefully also minimise your commute. I think keeping that contact and sense of participation, and then doing the rest at home, could work well?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
I barely went to any lectures and achieved a 2:1, but it wasn't easy. You might think lectures are recorded so it'll be easy but it takes incredible discipline to self study everything, keep on top of oenwork (even if you don't hand it in...)

However, you do have a lot more time and energy if you are at home - no waking up early, can speed up lectures, rewind and make notes, no waiting around for lectures to start or having a cold lunch...

If I had 0 interest in ever doing anything at university social wise I would do the same (and save a substantial amount of money) but this is not the case.

I did exactly this and saved up £16k in the process, all from maintenance grants and bursaries lol

Got a 1st too

it’s much better to not even bother turning up to lectures. I didnt even know 90% of the people on my course. Heh
(edited 5 years ago)
You will seriously need to find a powerful source of motivation if you plan on staying at home and watching all the lectures online

It can get very frustrating and the lectures can really drag on until you get to a point where you just want to give up. If you like your course, it will be more tolerable.
Reply 5
Could you not just commute and attend lectures/seminars? I drove for an hour and a half each way, somerimes more in rush hour traffic. If not, it is possible but you will have to be disciplined, which could be an problem based on some of the issues you highlighted in past behaviour. It is possible but also consider that many employers will expect that you provide a lecturer as a reference, it would be difficult for them to provide a decent reference if they hardly know you.
I commuted to uni from home for 3 years and achieved a 2:1 in my degree so it’s possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending