The Student Room Group

Disappointment from results A-level 2018

Extremely disappointed after checking my results. I worked really hard to achieve grades that I aimed for and now I am at the end of the road moving like a headless turkey, not knowing how will I get admission in a university for undergraduate medicine?. The grading body of Cambridge University for A-levels is crippled which has led to depression amongst many students who got grades which were not upto their expectation. We should launch a campaign against the CAIE grading system.
Original post by Hassan.Ahmed
Extremely disappointed after checking my results. I worked really hard to achieve grades that I aimed for and now I am at the end of the road moving like a headless turkey, not knowing how will I get admission in a university for undergraduate medicine?. The grading body of Cambridge University for A-levels is crippled which has led to depression amongst many students who got grades which were not upto their expectation. We should launch a campaign against the CAIE grading system.

I know you're upset, but in what way is this CIE's fault?
Their grading system is their fault. You are just some punk who had received result I don't want to ruin your celebration. GO **** YOURSELF!

I agree. All the grade thresholds this year were ridiculous! I got 89% in Maths because of the extremely high grade threshold. My chances of getting into University of Cambridge are ruined... ;(
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m no expert in medicine admission, but don’t some universities allow A-Level resits? If thats the case, you could probably use an extra year to gain experience and resit. Another option is to do a degree in life sciences and then apply for graduate medicine - I know people who’ve studied arts and gone on to graduate medicine so with a life science degree I’m sure the course won’t be too hard.
Their grading system is their fault. You are just some punk who had received result I don't want to ruin your celebration. GO **** YOURSELF!

lmao @Bluecow get told..
Original post by Lord Nutter
lmao @Bluecow get told..

😂😂😂

Well no, I'm an undergraduate.

I'm asking you in what way is this CIEs fault? Boundaries are set based on how this year's cohort did.
I know, they have ruined our future. They have taken something that we hold most dear to us and that is our interest in studies. The CAIE should be ashamed for what they have done and I will make them feel our pain somehow.
I know, they have ruined our future. They have taken something that we hold most dear to us and that is our interest in studies. The CAIE should be ashamed for what they have done and I will make them feel our pain somehow.

You can’t do anything. You got no one to blame but yourself. Sometimes these things happen but you can’t point the blame at everyone cause they didn’t do anything to stop you:

No they haven't.

I know you're upset, but grade boundaries are set based on how everyone's done. No awarding body has a vested interest in screwing over the lives of students - if they did, no centre would use them for examinations
Original post by Blue_Cow
No they haven't.

I know you're upset, but grade boundaries are set based on how everyone's done. No awarding body has a vested interest in screwing over the lives of students - if they did, no centre would use them for examinations

And what do you know? huh, I was one of the most exemplary student of Biology in A-levels and was pretty sure that I would score an A* but they rewarded me a C, how would you justify that?
And what do you know? huh, I was one of the most exemplary student of Biology in A-levels and was pretty sure that I would score an A* but they rewarded me a C, how would you justify that?

same!! My med schools gonna reject me :frown:
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I’m no expert in medicine admission, but don’t some universities allow A-Level resits? If thats the case, you could probably use an extra year to gain experience and resit. Another option is to do a degree in life sciences and then apply for graduate medicine - I know people who’ve studied arts and gone on to graduate medicine so with a life science degree I’m sure the course won’t be too hard.

Do you really think they would present me the grades, that I aimed for the next time. Do you guarantee that?

I don't need to justify anything. Past performance and history means nothing during exams. How you perform on the day is all that matters.

You're better off directing this anger at something else e.g. Speaking to an exams officer for a remark or even just a clerical check.
Do you really think they would present me the grades, that I aimed for the next time. Do you guarantee that?

I don't think you quite get how exams work
(edited 5 years ago)

Your dedication >>> everything else
Actually what grades did you get and what were you expecting?

Honestly without making you feel any worse than you probably do, sometimes we think we’ve done better in something than we actually have. Myself and others have done this plenty of time! My advice would be to reevaluate your studying strategy and look at where you could’ve gone wrong. This will be particularly helpful even if you do go onto a different course.
Also... I understand you’re disappointed but your success from now on counts on how you deal with this. Think about it calmly, having anger towards the examination board will get you nowhere. Exams are also how you perform on the day as said before yes it is partly luck - you could have a bad day but the examination board has no reason to give you a false grade.

Quick Reply

Latest