The Student Room Group

Retaking Year 13

I'm pretty sure I've not met the requirements for my insurance choice and I don't really want to go through clearing. I'm not really upset or angry, if anything I think I'm not really ready for uni so a year doing A Levels again would hopefully give me more time to do so.

I'm pretty sure my sixth form would let me resit there, but if they don't would I have to find somewhere else to do them? Or can I just do it by myself then take the exams at the end of the year since I've already learned all of the content? I haven't spoke or heard many stories about people resitting year 13 so it would be nice to know how it all works.
Hi I was in the same position as you last year, this year I decided to retake as an external student in a college. I had a tutor about twice a week so essentially it was a gap year but mainly focusing on retaking. If you are self motivated then it will be good for you, try looking for tutors asap
Original post by Sonia2598
Hi I was in the same position as you last year, this year I decided to retake as an external student in a college. I had a tutor about twice a week so essentially it was a gap year but mainly focusing on retaking. If you are self motivated then it will be good for you, try looking for tutors asap

How do you apply at a local college to be an external student? Do you ring them on results day?
Original post by Atlas99
How do you apply at a local college to be an external student? Do you ring them on results day?

Nope you find an exam centre which allows external students and contact them before the exam entry date. This can be done after a few months it doesn't need to be immediately
Reply 4
You always really consider all other options before this. Devoting a year to results you may not improve on would be such a waste. Check your decision carefully. :smile:
Nope you find an exam centre which allows external students and contact them before the exam entry date. This can be done after a few months it doesn't need to be immediately

How do you find an exam centre? Should I google it or speak to my sixth form?
Original post by Atlas99

You can Google it if you don't want to sit your exams back at your sixth form then look elsewhere. I saved a lot of money looking else where as my college was charging double the amount
Original post by Atlas99

Some may not do the exact same syllabus or subjects so you need to look around a bit just search exam centres near me and see what you can find
You can Google it if you don't want to sit your exams back at your sixth form then look elsewhere. I saved a lot of money looking else where as my college was charging double the amount

How much does it cost to apply as an external candidate?
Original post by Neophyteee
I'm pretty sure I've not met the requirements for my insurance choice and I don't really want to go through clearing. I'm not really upset or angry, if anything I think I'm not really ready for uni so a year doing A Levels again would hopefully give me more time to do so.

I'm pretty sure my sixth form would let me resit there, but if they don't would I have to find somewhere else to do them? Or can I just do it by myself then take the exams at the end of the year since I've already learned all of the content? I haven't spoke or heard many stories about people resitting year 13 so it would be nice to know how it all works.

I'm pretty sure schools are just a middle man, the sole purpose is for them to teach you. They also apply to exams for you. So if you already know the curriculum and believe you don't need extra help you can apply directly by contacting the exam boards themselves. Not entirely sure how it works though but its what my teacher told me.

Other than that it'll be up to you to sort everything out unless you have another year with your school.
Original post by Atlas99

It depends on the subject, some course like 1st year maths will be cheaper than applied business
I got kicked out my last college and I resat my first year you should be able to do it
Original post by Atlas99

It cost me around Ā£430 for 3 A levels which were chemistry biology and psychology
Reply 13
Iā€™m considering doing this if I miss all my offers šŸ˜­

Quick Reply