The Student Room Group

Maths results

Hello there!
I have completed C12 & C34 as well as M12 .
I cashed-in and got one result for both A1 and A2.
Now I'm planning on doing FP1 & FP2, When I receive the results can I combine with M12 again or should I do statistics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you've cashed in, you can't cash them in again, or uncash, rearrange and cash in differently.
Reply 2
So it's a must to do statistics! Or can't I get the FP results and cash in with the M12 (cashed in once for C1234) results ?
Reply 3
You need to do 9 different modules for your AS in Further, with C12 and C34 counting as two. You can't reuse modules or count them twice. FP3 and M3 may be options if your school does them and you want to avoid statistics.
Reply 4
I didn't quite get it.. Can I have an example?
Plus I'm a private candidate.
Reply 5
Original post by Shocker590
I didn't quite get it.. Can I have an example?
Plus I'm a private candidate.

What are you trying to cash in, and what total qualification are you aiming for?

It seems you are going for AS Further Maths (which includes normal maths), in which case you need 9 modules. For example C1234, M123, FP12 would work, or C1234, M12, FP12, S1. People can move things around if they've done better in stats or mechs, and it can make the difference of a grade, but they can't reuse the same module in both maths and further maths.
Reply 6
Original post by ThomH97
What are you trying to cash in, and what total qualification are you aiming for?

It seems you are going for AS Further Maths (which includes normal maths), in which case you need 9 modules. For example C1234, M123, FP12 would work, or C1234, M12, FP12, S1. People can move things around if they've done better in stats or mechs, and it can make the difference of a grade, but they can't reuse the same module in both maths and further maths.

Previously I did C1234 and M12, cashed-in and got 1 result for AL Mathematics.
Now I want a result for AL Further maths. So am I supposed to do FP12, S12 and AGAIN C1234, M12?
And how about for the AL Pure maths ?!
Reply 7
Previously I did C1234 and M12, cashed-in and got 1 result for AL Mathematics.
Now I want a result for AL Further maths. So am I supposed to do FP12, S12 and AGAIN C1234, M12?
And how about for the AL Pure maths ?!

Okay, so you've already got an A Level in normal maths with C1234 and M12. You don't need to do these again, but nor can you use them for Further Maths.

For an AS in Further Maths, you could do FP1, FP2 and M3. Or you could do FP1, FP2 and S1. But you cannot use M1 or M2 again. The modules need to be different from the ones you did before.

You've already cashed in your core units for normal maths, so I guess while you might be able to do it with a different exam board, I don't think it'd add much if anything to your university application but be extra stress for you anyway.

How are you learning maths and what do your teachers/tutors say?
Reply 8
Original post by ThomH97
Okay, so you've already got an A Level in normal maths with C1234 and M12. You don't need to do these again, but nor can you use them for Further Maths.

For an AS in Further Maths, you could do FP1, FP2 and M3. Or you could do FP1, FP2 and S1. But you cannot use M1 or M2 again. The modules need to be different from the ones you did before.

You've already cashed in your core units for normal maths, so I guess while you might be able to do it with a different exam board, I don't think it'd add much if anything to your university application but be extra stress for you anyway.

How are you learning maths and what do your teachers/tutors say?

I'm doing Edexcel and my tutor has done Cambridge so it's a different process. He told me to research about it and decide.
I pretty much got most of what you said !
But for a confirmation, To get an AL Further pure result what are the modules should I take (I have only taken C1234 & M12)
Is there anyway my Unique Candidate Identification affects these exams?
Reply 9
I'm doing Edexcel and my tutor has done Cambridge so it's a different process. He told me to research about it and decide.
I pretty much got most of what you said !
But for a confirmation, To get an AL Further pure result what are the modules should I take (I have only taken C1234 & M12)
Is there anyway my Unique Candidate Identification affects these exams?

There isn't an A Level in Further Pure. But for A Level Pure you've already cashed in C1234 so wouldn't be able to do it, at least not with Edexcel (perhaps with another exam board but I'm doubtful). You would have needed to do C1234, FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 (six in total).

A different exam board might refuse to award you A Level Pure Maths because you've already used that knowledge for normal maths, and the UCI would be how they could check. Why do you want an A Level in Maths and also an A Level in Pure Maths?
Reply 10
Original post by ThomH97
There isn't an A Level in Further Pure. But for A Level Pure you've already cashed in C1234 so wouldn't be able to do it, at least not with Edexcel (perhaps with another exam board but I'm doubtful). You would have needed to do C1234, FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 (six in total).

A different exam board might refuse to award you A Level Pure Maths because you've already used that knowledge for normal maths, and the UCI would be how they could check. Why do you want an A Level in Maths and also an A Level in Pure Maths?

So you mean that it's either AL Maths or AL Pure
Which requires either C1234, M12 or C1234, F12.
But for AL Further what modules are required?
I checked it and C1234 never appeared in the required units.
I've done other subjects such as chemistry and physics but the grade in physics is low... Therefore I'm desperate for a 3rd result.
You mentioned that it's possible through another exam board... But that would be a waste of time and money.!

I'm confused.. First you mentioned 9 modules now it jumped to 6 modules
So you mean that it's either AL Maths or AL Pure
Which requires either C1234, M12 or C1234, F12.
But for AL Further what modules are required?
I checked it and C1234 never appeared in the required units.
I've done other subjects such as chemistry and physics but the grade in physics is low... Therefore I'm desperate for a 3rd result.
You mentioned that it's possible through another exam board... But that would be a waste of time and money.!

I'm confused.. First you mentioned 9 modules now it jumped to 6 modules

Think of further maths as an extra 6 modules on top of a level maths (so 12 in total). 3 modules if you only want the AS (so 9 in total). You cannot use modules that you cashed in already for further maths, and I think that you've scuppered A Level pure maths by already cashing in.

However, I don't think you'd have been able to do both, and universities wouldn't be very impressed as you've basically demonstrated two thirds of an A Level less than someone with 3 distinct A Levels.
Reply 12
Original post by ThomH97
Think of further maths as an extra 6 modules on top of a level maths (so 12 in total). 3 modules if you only want the AS (so 9 in total). You cannot use modules that you cashed in already for further maths, and I think that you've scuppered A Level pure maths by already cashing in.

However, I don't think you'd have been able to do both, and universities wouldn't be very impressed as you've basically demonstrated two thirds of an A Level less than someone with 3 distinct A Levels.

So your saying it's pointless doing AL Further... It's ONLY AL maths or AL further or AL pure.
So your saying it's pointless doing AL Further... It's ONLY AL maths or AL further or AL pure.

Some university subjects won't recognise further maths (eg medicine), but you can still do it. I'm saying that you probably shouldn't (and can't) do AL pure maths because of the overlap with AL normal maths
Reply 14
Original post by ThomH97
Some university subjects won't recognise further maths (eg medicine), but you can still do it. I'm saying that you probably shouldn't (and can't) do AL pure maths because of the overlap with AL normal maths

I understood about the overlap procedure....
But do you know any one who has done both maths and further maths and got 2 different results?
Is this a possibility? If I want the result for AL Pure I have to do F12 and C1234 with a different UCI number? Not going to try it, just asking.
Plus is there further pure exams in October?
I understood about the overlap procedure....
But do you know any one who has done both maths and further maths and got 2 different results?
Is this a possibility? If I want the result for AL Pure I have to do F12 and C1234 with a different UCI number? Not going to try it, just asking.
Plus is there further pure exams in October?

I think you are confusing further maths and pure maths.

I don't know of a way to do pure maths as well as normal maths. There's nothing stopping you doing further maths though.
Reply 16
Original post by ThomH97
I think you are confusing further maths and pure maths.

I don't know of a way to do pure maths as well as normal maths. There's nothing stopping you doing further maths though.

I didn't confuse pure maths and further maths I was just suggesting. I think you need to do 6 modules for AL Furthur and as far as I think I need to do M12, S12, F12 ... But the thing is i have done M12 and I'm worried soul i do it again??

Which Awarding Body and specification did you do for your maths A level?

It is likely you will need to study a different specification for Further Maths as the qualifications have been reformed. Modules no longer exist.
Original post by Mr M
Which Awarding Body and specification did you do for your maths A level?

It is likely you will need to study a different specification for Further Maths as the qualifications have been reformed. Modules no longer exist.

I assumed it was IAL as the OP talks about C12?

You can unlock modules and I think a lot of the 'advice' appears to be wrong; what do you think?
Original post by Muttley79
I assumed it was IAL as the OP talks about C12?

You can unlock modules and I think a lot of the 'advice' appears to be wrong; what do you think?

Haven't read the other posts but it is certainly possible in the UK to recertificate to unlock any modules that have already been taken. Expect IAL works the same way.

Quick Reply

Latest