The Student Room Group

Ukcat quantitative reasoning

How the hell can you get good at this section?!?

My UKCAT exam is on the 25th August and this is the section which is killing me. Can anyone give me advise on how to balance time and get better at this section?
Original post by Yournan123

My UKCAT exam is on the 25th August and this is the section which is killing me. Can anyone give me advise on how to balance time and get better at this section?

There's a section on preparation here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/uk-clinical-aptitude-test?r=25883-UKCAT

If you have any further questions you should post in the Medicine forum to get the best chance of informed replies. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by black rose
there's a section on preparation here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/uk-clinical-aptitude-test?r=25883-ukcat

if you have any further questions you should post in the medicine forum to get the best chance of informed replies. :smile:

omg thank you so much
Reply 3

hey, you have to do loads of practice banks, you can find them on the ukcat website and more. I cannot stress how important practice is. I was doing 4-6 hours of ukcat practice a day a month before my ukcat.
Ideally, with the QR you should spend about 40 seconds on each question. the trick is to get your answer via the process of elimination and improve your maths skills. I hope this helps, ask me more if needed, ill be off to study medicine in sept
Reply 4
Original post by ireti
hey, you have to do loads of practice banks, you can find them on the ukcat website and more. I cannot stress how important practice is. I was doing 4-6 hours of ukcat practice a day a month before my ukcat.
Ideally, with the QR you should spend about 40 seconds on each question. the trick is to get your answer via the process of elimination and improve your maths skills. I hope this helps, ask me more if needed, ill be off to study medicine in sept

4-6 hours??? I'm spending half that time. Oh god. I feel like all the other sections are actually fine. It's just quantitative. Is it true that in the actual exam the quantitative is actually easier?
People tend to do well on the section because the scoring is based on the first cohort who sat the UKCAT. I presume the first cohort didn't do as well so you don't need to do as well to get higher marks. It tends to be the strongest section for many UKCAT sitters.
Reply 6
not true that it's easier
Reply 7
Original post by Ladymusiclover
People tend to do well on the section because the scoring is based on the first cohort who sat the UKCAT. I presume the first cohort didn't do as well so you don't need to do as well to get higher marks. It tends to be the strongest section for many UKCAT sitters.

Yh that's true but still. If you mess up one section really bad then your averages will just be totally ruined bringing your score down right?
Yh that's true but still. If you mess up one section really bad then your averages will just be totally ruined bringing your score down right?

True. Keep practising. Go over GCSE material and use medify if you haven't already.
Reply 9
True. Keep practising. Go over GCSE material and use medify if you haven't already.

Ok thank you so much!
Reply 10

Oh btw in DM, i keep getting the drawing conclusion questions partially correct. Will i still gain marks for this?
Oh btw in DM, i keep getting the drawing conclusion questions partially correct. Will i still gain marks for this?

Yes you still get marks. The explanation is a bit confusing but here's the link:
https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/ukcat-test/ukcat-results/ukcat-scoring-and-marking/
Reply 12
Yes you still get marks. The explanation is a bit confusing but here's the link:
https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/ukcat-test/ukcat-results/ukcat-scoring-and-marking/

Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending