The Student Room Group

Do you think that today's youth is incompetent?

I see more and more guys without attitude, some even ask their mothers which pair of underwear should they wear. Others are work-shy, many are too lazy and never take initiative for anything. Sure, there were people like that in previous generations, however don't you think that more people are unable to do basic tasks such as cooking, cleaning their OWN stuff, etc?

Generation raised with milk and pear, creating thousands of genders, being sensitive and offended with anything. Where are our values?

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tom K17
Yes! There a load of puffs get offended by everything. We need the internet to get removed, that will put them right.

I wouldn't go to that point, but surely these kids don't know how to do anything 🤷*♂️
And there are those of us who worked 8+ hours, sometimes under the counter, every week during GCSEs just to help support our families while still coming out with 10A*s (not to mention the grade 9s that were included in that tally)

Please keep your generalizations to yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by dinomite
And there are those of us who worked 10 hours during GCSEs to help support our families while still coming out with 10A*s

I'm not talking about those who work hard, they are doing something, I also worked really hard in GCSE season. I'm not generalising, look at previous generations, people took more initiative and worked harder. I call it generation raised with milk and pear (sweet) :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
And there are those of us who worked 8+ hours, sometimes under the counter, every week during GCSEs just to help support our families while still coming out with 10A*s (not to mention the grade 9s that were included in that tally)

Respect kid, I have a massive chip on my shoulder when it come to kids who have families with money who think they work hard. They wouldn't have a ****ing clue.
Reply 5
I'm talking about older people :rofl:
Original post by Crow_M
I'm not talking about those who work hard, they are doing something, I also worked really hard in GCSE season. I'm not generalising, look at previous generations, people took more initiative and worked harder. I call it generation raised with milk and pear (sweet) :smile:

"Generation raised with milk and pear, creating thousands of genders, being sensitive and offended with anything. Where are our values?" is a sentence lacking any signifier of exclusion of those who "work hard", hence a sweeping sentence in the eyes of those who can comprehend basic English.

Because lives are easier. It's an undeniable trend that life is increasingly becoming easier through technological developments and policies. This is just down to bad parenting, but it's a moot point to suggest that the youth alone only benefit.
Original post by random_matt
Respect kid, I have a massive chip on my shoulder when it come to kids who have families with money who think they work hard. They wouldn't have a ****ing clue.

I'm no better. Seeing rich kids throwing away their education just cause they can't be bothered pisses me off no end when some of us had to fight tooth and claw just to stay in the goddamn system and not end up in some dead end job stocking shelves or pumping gas for minimum wage.
We were raised by an incompetent generation so not really a shocker that we ourselves are incompetent. We've improved in a lot of ways but there's just as many aspects of us that need to catch up imo
Reply 9
"Generation raised with milk and pear, creating thousands of genders, being sensitive and offended with anything. Where are our values?" is a sentence lacking any signifier of exclusion of those who "work hard", hence a sweeping sentence in the eyes of those who can comprehend basic English.

Because lives are easier. It's an undeniable trend that life is increasingly becoming easier through technological developments and policies. This is just down to bad parenting, but it's a moot point to suggest that the youth alone only benefit.

I understand that lives are easier, we have technology and many gadgets that help with everyday lives.

You got my point about bad parenting, my point is that it's becoming common, increasing at an alarming rate. Depression, anxiety and antisocial behaviour has increased (although some might argue that it hasn't because mental health wasn't really a big topic back then).
Reply 10
I'm no better. Seeing rich kids throwing away their education just cause they can't be bothered pisses me off no end when some of us had to fight tooth and claw just to stay in the goddamn system and not end up in some dead end job stocking shelves or pumping gas for minimum wage.

Exactly, or those kids that don't know how to do anything because they got everything.
Original post by Crow_M
I see more and more guys without attitude, some even ask their mothers which pair of underwear should they wear. Others are work-shy, many are too lazy and never take initiative for anything. Sure, there were people like that in previous generations, however don't you think that more people are unable to do basic tasks such as cooking, cleaning their OWN stuff, etc?

Generation raised with milk and pear, creating thousands of genders, being sensitive and offended with anything. Where are our values?

Opinions?

:s-smilie: Difficult one that- older generations have always bemoaned youth : even the ancient Greeks did!

To put this into perspective, I remember some time ago in the library picking up bound copies laying around for 1956 of the local paper in Hertfordshire where I live, and reading in one issue of people complaining about "hooligan behaviour" at Potters Bar Rail Station late at night......those `hooligans` are probably grand- or great grand -parents now and no doubt moaning about any wayward or antisocial youthful behaviour themselves!

I honestly think this can`t be generalised- my own view- and I`m one of those terrible babyboomers - is that today`s youth are no worse than previous generations, but the circumstances they are brought up in and form their views are. in some ways life is a lot easier now than when I was a child/youth: in other ways more difficult.
(edited 5 years ago)

There will be exceptions to any generalisation, but these will be few and far between. Congratulations for being an exception, that's great, but lots of young people these days are mollycoddled and spending their heads in various items of technology to the point that when they're pushed into the real world they don't have a clue what to do.
Reply 13
Original post by alexschmalex
We were raised by an incompetent generation so not really a shocker that we ourselves are incompetent. We've improved in a lot of ways but there's just as many aspects of us that need to catch up imo

I agree with your point to a certain extent, I agree that we improved in some ways and our thinking is somewhat more analytical, however it's quite shocking when you see how oversensitive some people are, maybe because they never had anything to worry about and struggle with? Which aspects are you talking about?

P.s. Great argument
Reply 14
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
There will be exceptions to any generalisation, but these will be few and far between. Congratulations for being an exception, that's great, but lots of young people these days are mollycoddled and spending their heads in various items of technology to the point that when they're pushed into the real world they don't have a clue what to do.

Someone that fully understands my point.
Reply 15
Well, I am tremendously incompetent. But most people I know in uni seem to at least vaguely have it together.
Reply 16
Original post by UnclePete
:s-smilie: Difficult one that- older generations have always bemoaned youth: even the ancient Greeks did!

To put this into perspective, I remember some time ago in the library picking up bound copies laying around for 1956 of the local paper in Hertfordshire where I live, and reading in one issue of people complaining about hooligan behaviour at Potters Bar Rail Station late at night......those `hooligans` are probably grandparents now and no doubt moaning about any wayward youthful behaviour themselves!

I honestly think this can`t be generalised- my own view- and I`m one of those terrible babyboomers - is that today`s youth are no worse than previous generations, but the circumstances they are brought up in and form their views are. in some ways life is a lot easier now than when I was a child/youth: in other ways more difficult.

I'm aware that there were and probably there will always be someone like that. However in the 1950's we didn't hear much about people getting offended with almost anything (one thing that comes in my mind is Jeremy Clarkson and his "offensive" jokes which caused some controversy), also less people have less determination, the so called "soft generation".
Original post by Crow_M

Opinions?

Every generation complains about the generations that have gone before. If you want to know about complaining, you should sit next to me on the bus on a Monday (pension day) - with my free bus pass - and listen to the whining from my generation about ‘these youngsters of today, they don’t know they’re born’ . They forget that this generation will have to work longer and harder because my generation will live longer. That compared to my generation, it’s nearly impossible to get onto the housing ladder. The gender thing - well, that’s not so bad. Better out in the open about these things than being frightened to say you are gay, or that you’ve had a child out of wedlock. Cooking? Took forever in my day. That’s what microwaves are for. I use mine all the time, especially when I was knocking out my dissertation over Easter.
Nah, the younger generations no longer need those skills, IT literacy is far more important, older generations are seriously incompetent when it comes to IT.
Reply 19
Original post by the beer
Nah, the younger generations no longer need those skills, IT literacy is far more important, older generations are seriously incompetent when it comes to IT.

An extreme sport is to memorise all of the passwords of your household, or when someone asks why the pc isn't on and there socket was off :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending