Triple Science vs Double Science GCSE (9-1) Watch

SnipZVC123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Does Triple Science have harder questions or just have more topics than Double Science
BusinessExpert
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by SnipZVC123)
Does Triple Science have harder questions or just have more topics than Double Science
Double Science has two exams per subject.

Biology = 2
Chemistry = 2
Physics = 2

B1, B2 & C1, C2 & P1, P2 = 6 exams in total

A Triple Science qualification requires the pupil to take three extra exams on top of these (B3, C3 and P3) - 9 exams in total.

These candidates are trying to show much better understanding of the sciences, maybe with an intention to take A-levels in them.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jenjenss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BusinessExpert)
Double Science has two exams per subject.

Biology = 2
Chemistry = 2
Physics = 2

B1, B2 & C1, C2 & P1, P2 = 6 exams in total

A Triple Science qualification requires the pupil to take three extra exams on top of these (B3, C3 and P3) - 9 exams in total.

These candidates are trying to show much better understanding of the sciences, maybe with an intention to take A-levels in them.
This is wrong you take the same amount of exams (6) but triple science exams last longer. That’s how it is for AQA anyway.

Triple science has more topics and all these topics are harder. The reason for longer exams for triple is because there is more topics so more questions.
BusinessExpert
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jenjenss)
This is wrong you take the same amount of exams (6) but triple science exams last longer. That’s how it is for AQA anyway.

Triple science has more topics and all these topics are harder. The reason for longer exams for triple is because there is more topics so more questions.
I was looking for someone to correct me as I had referred to the format from when I took them in 2016.
SnipZVC123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks for the response but I was just wondering if the questions in triple science are harder for the same topics that are also found in double science.

For example: Are the questions harder about ‘animal cells’ in triple science or are they similar to the double science questions
WL18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks for the response but I was just wondering if the questions in triple science are harder for the same topics that are also found in double science.

For example: Are the questions harder about ‘animal cells’ in triple science or are they similar to the double science questions
I did triple science and did some of the combined science (double science) papers as practise.

Basically, I would say that triple science has more content but the difficulty is similar. For example, you have to learn about space and electric fields in physics for triple but not for combined science. Also, in Biology you get asked on ethical issues of stem cells and how pregnancy tests use monoclonal antibodies and commercial uses of plant hormones. These added topics are harder than the ones in combined science quite significantly, but there aren’t many of them at all. The questions about topics that aren’t on the additional list of topics triple need to know, such as about animal cells, will be of an identical level of difficulty. Basically, it’s just a few more difficult concepts added along the way for triple.

Any questions feel free to ask - I sat triple AQA this year!
ForeverAQx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Its only an extra gcse, you can still do any science A Level without triple science. The main difference is the content, theres more and its more in depth but the difficulty increases along with that increased workload of content and exams.
AlyssSt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
To be honest, they're quite similar - just a few less topics in double than in triple, but that doesn't necessarily mean double is easier - there's just less content. Some of the content missed out in double is some of the harder topics, but that depends on the person and what they find hard. There's definitely quite a bit more math if you take triple - especially Chemistry. Overall I would advise to definitely take triple unless you absolutely hate and are horrible at science because there's really not that much of a difference in difficulty. It's much easier to add just a bit more content in exchange for an additional GCSE than take double and then have to do another entire subject (keep in mind that another subject means at least 2 more exams to sit and therefore a more rigorous exam schedule with less time/breaks to revise other subjects and therefore more stress)

Also I've known quite a lot of people who regretted taking double because they changed their mind about their career choice halfway through the year and decided they liked science afterall. They now have to do catchup if they want to take sciences for A levels.

Obviously this is just casual advice if you really struggle with science and are more of a humanities person by all means take double and be confident w that choice
RickiestRick
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's a situational circumstance. Sometimes Triple Science is harder than Combined. Sometimes it's the other way around.

It depends on the questions.
Theextremefish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Triple science is harder but allows you to do A-level single science options because the grade boundaries go up to 9. I did triple science and i had 6 tests that split into paper 1 (things you learn in year 9 and the first half of year 10) and paper 2(2nd half of year 10 and year 11) for chem, bio and physics. You learn more equations and a lot more stuff in physics then in combined science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.6%
No (219)
94.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed